• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel claims ‘superior gaming performance’ over AMD, but uses better GPU for comparison

Soldato
Easier said than done.

Dell, for example, are pretty much wed to Intel. We know this as Dell is our exclusive hardware supplier. They do not offer AMD to us as a business customer.

If you’re selling junk and the competition is blowing you away on, price, performance and warranty customers go elsewhere.

Dell have a backlog of Intel parts they can’t sell. You business customers must be footing the bill.

Associate
AMD won me over for this upgrade cycle, no regrets. Intel can carry on talking but they know they need to do better. They’ve been resting on their laurels too much.

Associate
Has his fingerprints all over it doesn't it.. The best Intel could do, if they was ethical, would be to get rid of their 'performance strategist'.

Bapco/Sysmark is an Intel founded company, AdoredTV goes into it at it's inception, and they do all they can to make AMD look worse. Intel are just like NVidia, they have to be seen to winning at ALL costs - even if it costs them all their credibility(PC perspective/Principled Technologies). When they are behind, as in now for Intel and back in the 7970GHz edition day for NVidia(and 9700pro for ATi when NVidia cheated in drivers/benchmarks), they play very dirty games to be perceived to be fastest, and it works for the average consumer!

AMD need to up their game to combat this.
This is so true. AMD need to fight fire with fire because the average consumer hasn't a clue how much time Nvidia and Intel invest in dirty tricks to try and discredit or besmirch the competition.

Associate
Why bother doing stuff like this when its obvious in today's times it will get out, like the chiller unit on a trolley :rolleyes:
I guess because as Goebbels said if you keep saying something (three times I believe) enough people will believe it. You only have to look at how some of today's politicians consistently spout demonstrable untruths/lies regarding the response to Covid 19 and apparent 'successes' to see how this works. The majority of people are more involved/invested in the everyday minutiae of their lives/whether to watch Love Island or the X factor to bother or have the time and patience to read between the lines or do research. It's really very effective and costs very little to simply lie at the top of your voice and to keep doing so. Some people even admire it when it so brazen.

Caporegime
I don't have the link to hand but AMD are gaining traction in the Laptop space, they are currently at 13%, does not seem like much but this is up from nothing in just a year.
Intel are worried.

Caporegime
I don't have the link to hand but AMD are gaining traction in the Laptop space, they are currently at 13%, does not seem like much but this is up from nothing in just a year.
Intel are worried.

Have to agree, AMD have now managed to get in the types of laptops that I'd consider buying.
There's some HP Envy Ryzen laptops we bought at work and they're a sleek bit of kit.

Now AMD are in Surface devices as well (Albeit I'd like AMD choice at every single level, the tablet etc).

We've just bought about 180 basic Ryzen 3 laptops too for students I believe.

Caporegime
There are no AMD Laptops available with anything above a 2060, somehow there is a GPU hard cap on AMD Laptops.
Faster GPU's would show up Intel's laptops as slower in games than AMD's. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Nothing AMD can do about it, other than keep the pressure on, if Intel keep having to throw money at people to hold down a resurgent AMD eventually it will hurt them more than AMD.
AMD also need to keep piling on the cores, Intel hate making large high core count CPU's mainstream, they get less CPU's per wafer which creates the supply issue they are experiencing and costs them more money.
AMD just have to keep the pressure on and ride Intel's schinanigens out because eventually Intel will destroy their own business to keep AMD out.

Man of Honour
I know this thread is about gaming performance and Thinkpads are business grade laptops but I've seen an interesting thing happen in the Thinkpad world with Intel and AMD. For the last couple of years Lenovo have offered some Thinkpads in both Intel and AMD guise. Until recently the AMD version was given a different name and always had lower specs than the Intel version (e.g. Intel T490 had better screen options than the almost identical AMD T495). This year the names have been rationalised and it's now the T14 Intel and T14 AMD. The laptops are almost identical in features apart from Thunderbolt. But the dramatic change I've seen is in the community. Most users are not techy people. But on the Thinkpad subreddit every time someone asks about a T series they are being told by others to wait for the T14 AMD launch and not get the Intel because of the performance difference and likely affect on heat, noise and battery.

The premium range Thinkpads (the X1 and P1 series) are still only available with Intel and I suspect there is some pressure from Intel to make sure the best models aren't offered with AMD. But if enough people ignore the Intel T series and wait for the imminent AMD version then it will send a clear message to Lenovo that Intel are the losing team. That might just happen this year.

Intel are pretty screwed in all markets.

Soldato
I feel like Intel are like the unmasked villain in a Scooby-Doo cartoon saying ".........and I would have gotten away with it too if it hadn't been for you meddling kids" to the people who first discovered yet another Intel "Dishonest Marketing" example.

I get that no matter who the company is, they'll do everything to make their design look far better than the competitions, but usually Intel had the better CPU's anyway so they didn't have to be so "underhand" and, for me at least, it really shows me just how desperate Intel's consumer dept is over AMD's increasing market share vs their own poor performance CPU's in a price vs performance comparison.

I really don't think Intel will be "back" until 2022-23 at the earliest and they'll need to drop the 14nm++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ASAP as the 10th Gen series has shown it is now a dead end for additional performance.

Soldato
I feel like Intel are like the unmasked villain in a Scooby-Doo cartoon saying ".........and I would have gotten away with it too if it hadn't been for you meddling kids" to the people who first discovered yet another Intel "Dishonest Marketing" example.

I get that no matter who the company is, they'll do everything to make their design look far better than the competitions, but usually Intel had the better CPU's anyway so they didn't have to be so "underhand" and, for me at least, it really shows me just how desperate Intel's consumer dept is over AMD's increasing market share vs their own poor performance CPU's in a price vs performance comparison.

I really don't think Intel will be "back" until 2022-23 at the earliest and they'll need to drop the 14nm++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ASAP as the 10th Gen series has shown it is now a dead end for additional performance.

2022-23 is looking like a big ask. AMD are just so far ahead in so many areas and the firms rate of development is blistering.

Soldato
2022-23 is looking like a big ask. AMD are just so far ahead in so many areas and the firms rate of development is blistering.

Not only is AMD's rate of progress "blistering" but it's actually within the target they have set themselves. Of course none of us know how good Zen3 will be yet, but if the past has anything to go by, it will be very near to target. Which, let's be frank, Intel has not been anywhere any sort of target for years.

Soldato

My reasoning is that AM4's basic design is now 5 years old and and only shrinking the process is getting them gains, not by many design improvements (single CCX being the biggest change). Currently their 7nm process seems to be hitting "peak" with Zen3 (4000 series) with not much room left after other than small increments so will be hard pressed to continually improve until the Zen 4 5nm design hits sometime around 2022 but again the design is still virtually the same, it's just process shrinking making any performance gains. By then Intel's 10nm process should be finished and working so unless AMD's Zen 4 process is shipping before 2023 at the latest I could see Intel's new 10nm swinging the competition back towards Intel but their 10nm process will have to be amazing to win back customers!

Of course, if AMD have Zen 4 (5nm) being shipped in 2022 then all bets are off.

Soldato
My reasoning is that AM4's basic design is now 5 years old and and only shrinking the process is getting them gains, not by many design improvements (single CCX being the biggest change). Currently their 7nm process seems to be hitting "peak" with Zen3 (4000 series) with not much room left after other than small increments so will be hard pressed to continually improve until the Zen 4 5nm design hits sometime around 2022 but again the design is still virtually the same, it's just process shrinking making any performance gains. By then Intel's 10nm process should be finished and working so unless AMD's Zen 4 process is shipping before 2023 at the latest I could see Intel's new 10nm swinging the competition back towards Intel but their 10nm process will have to be amazing to win back customers!

If the expected 20% gain from the 4000 range turns out to be true, along with the 8 core chiplet that alone makes some interesting possibilities. 200~watt 32 core desktop parts and 16 core 7nm APU’s for instance.

Soldato

You don't get a 15% IPC increase from Zen 1 to Zen 2 only by shrinking the die, the designs are fairly radically different. Zen 2 to Zen 3 is rumoured at a 17% IPC increase as well which again that wouldn't be down to a process shrink so I don't know where you are getting that it's the only way AMD can improve performance on AM4. Improving IPC by a total of ~34.5% on the same socket is mighty impressive if AMD can deliver on the 17% uplift.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom