Hairline crack in bathroom tile

Soldato
Hi Guys,
I have a hairline crack in the bathroom just below the shower thermo unit that runs across the wall (under a meter wide). Will this be a problem in terms of water or is this ok?

Also, what options do i have to repair this apart from replacing the tile? I doubt i would be able to find an exact match for the tile.

it will likely seep water if it comes in direct contact but if its an absolute hairline you may get away with it

Most obvious repair option is silicon. You can force a tiny amount into the crack, when dry, and it should waterproof.
Depends on what colour tiles you have as to if you can get a decent match, If not I would tend to go with clear myself.

Soldato
OP
Maybe a good waterproof superglue instead of silicon would work - I know silicon usually looks messy, but superglue to "close" the crack might work better.

True and it would be a lot easier to apply too but i think silicone would be better for water proofing. I think if i run masking tape along the side it should be ok but just fiddly.

Soldato
If I couldn't replace the tile I'd mix up some 2 part epoxy, work it into the crack with a plastic card, scrape it flat then buff off any remaining residue. Will last far longer than superglue. Superglue is good at bonding two surfaces together but pretty poor at filling small gaps. Silicone will work but it's a pain to clean up and likely you'll end up getting silicone all over the tile before you can work much into the crack.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/araldite...ealantsadhesives-_-araldite&_requestid=202475

Soldato
OP
If I couldn't replace the tile I'd mix up some 2 part epoxy, work it into the crack with a plastic card, scrape it flat then buff off any remaining residue. Will last far longer than superglue. Superglue is good at bonding two surfaces together but pretty poor at filling small gaps. Silicone will work but it's a pain to clean up and likely you'll end up getting silicone all over the tile before you can work much into the crack.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/araldite...ealantsadhesives-_-araldite&_requestid=202475

What is this stuff like to work with? I was thinking of masking the crack both sides and then applying either silicone or this epoxy as this would make it a lot tidier? Also is this stuff waterproof?

Soldato
OP
Went with silicone in the end as i bought a new tube a couple weeks back! Was a quick job, the masking or the crack on both sides was the time consuming part but all done within 30mins.

Thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom