Metal braided brake lines on SV650 K3

Soldato
Apparently it's a good upgrade to have anyway. But the bike is 17 years old now and I can feel the brakes are a bit spongey, the brake fluid no doubt needs changing also, I last did it, hmmm probably going on 6 years now.

But given the age of the brakes lines I thought I would replace and upgrade those for some Hel braided lines. I've ordered the kit that mirrors the standard bike setup, so should be just a case of unbolting the old ones, putting the new ones on in exactly the same place, and then probably a lot of faffing to get the air out of the system once the brake fuild is replaced, although at least this bike doesnt have ABS for this job.

I should be ok doing it, but any top tips?

Soldato
I did this on my K2 Svs - the brakes feel quite a bit firmer afterwards.

Watch out for airbubbles between the res and the master cyclinder - I got caught out by that wondering why they was not firming up yet there where no bubbles coming out of the calipers. I gave the tube a gentle squeeze and all the bubbles come out.

Make sure you use all the the copper washers which are suppplied - Don't overtighten the bolts, the master cyclinder is pretty easy to strip as I've found out from experience. :eek:

A nice easy job though. :)
Good luck.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I did it on my K5, as others have said the lines make little difference it's the fact they'll be all freshly bled with clean fluid. It's looks nicer though with braided lines.

Nothing really to note apart from as @russell664 you may find some bubbled hiding around the MC banjo, I fitted a bleed banjo on the MC just for this reason made bleeding the lines a 10 minute job not having to try and chase the bubbles out.

Soldato
I did it on my K5, as others have said the lines make little difference it's the fact they'll be all freshly bled with clean fluid. It's looks nicer though with braided lines.

Nothing really to note apart from as @russell664 you may find some bubbled hiding around the MC banjo, I fitted a bleed banjo on the MC just for this reason made bleeding the lines a 10 minute job not having to try and chase the bubbles out.

Not always the case on older lines they can make a big difference older line will swell if you squeeze the brake you can feel the swelling.

BUDFORCE try it yourself pull the brake while squeezing the line you will soon know if knackered.

Last edited:
Soldato
Biggest thing will be the fresh fluid for sure but it's probably worth replacing the lines at that age to avoid any failures. As said in the what you did thread, I replaced my fluid only as I wasn't sure how old it was but it was a deep amber instead of golden yellow. Now my brakes actually work and give consistent confident feedback which they didn't when I bought it...they worked ok but just not quite right.

OP I'm sure once you've changed the lines and got it to bleed properly you'll be wondering why you didn't do it closer to recommended 2ish years.

Soldato
OP
Well, that was a **** show.

Ordered them from sportsbikeshop, package turned up, right ropey battered box, plastic broken just looked old. Emailed them, they apologised and send me some more fittings and a £20 voucher code, but still bits missing as nothing to replace the 3 way sealed joint.

I emailed them back, they are just giving me a full refund now, they don't even want it back. It came with a free 250ml of brake fluid, so I guess I will just use that and change the fluid for free.

I said on the email I wouldn't use the voucher, but they didn't say anything about it in their reply, I'm tempted to wait a few months and see if it'll work.

Can't be arsed to change the lines at all now while thing has put me off.

Soldato
I'm surprised SBS had such old stock and you've had so much hassle. They are always pretty good with customer service though and at least they've tried to resolve it and refunded without too much issue.

I'm sure it doesn't much help but, I bought 1L of dot4 and only used about 200ml to do brakes front, rear and clutch fluids...so at least you should be able to flush the brakes with what you have.

Soldato
OP
Changed the brake fluid, was a bit better maybe but marginal.

Does lead me to believe there is some expansion in the brake lines, but it's a 17 year old SV650 so... The brake still work good enough to lock up the front so....

It's not doing bad for an older bike I guess, in v. good condition for its age, but heading towards 20 years of technological advances can't be overlooked. But not this year.

Back
Top Bottom