• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Refresh) 3900XT/3800XT/3600XT

Associate
Usually 2pm our time on the day of release for AMD stuff. Unless something leaks you won't know anything before they're available to buy, the embargo lifts when sales go live.

Associate
5GHZ easy :p

In all seriousness, 5% is expected and that's +250mhz max on golden silicon. I'd love to see 4.6ghz @ safe volts all core with SMT off on the 3900XT, I think that's shooting high but attainable. Could be the improved boost behaviour means all core is pointless, its only a few percent depending on application already.

Associate
I've got a 3700x now, but it only boosts to 4.3GHz on the 2nd Tuesday of the month of its raining and won't do 3600 cl16 on my 8pack DDR4 kit (though it will let me do 3200 at cl14/13).

I use my rig for photo editing and gaming at 4k. I'm highly likely to pick up an RTX 3080 this year anyway. Is it worth upgrading to a 3800xt for gaming, or should I hold off for a Ryzen 4000? My heart is saying upgrade, but my brain is saying I'll be gpu bottlenecked anyway.

Associate
Definitely wait. In gaming yes you will be gpu bottlenecked. At 4k the CPU play much less of a role than the GPU. Plus the increase in performance going from 3700x to 4xxx series will be much larger than going to 3800xt.

Caporegime
I've got a 3700x now... is it worth upgrading to a 3800xt for gaming?
Not sure if serious... have you even looked at benchmarks? If so I am not sure how you can be asking yourself this from a common sense perspective, especially when Zen3 is around the corner and when you have a fully working and powerful 8 core CPU.

If your CPU is not boosting to its rated speeds then you likely need to sort your cooling out. WHat cooler do you have, just the stock one? If so I highly recommend upgrading to this asap, the Scythese Mugen 5 Rev B, as for the money pretty much nothing touches it and it performs close to a Dark Rock 4 or Noctua DH15 http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/cpu-cooler/mugen-5-revb.html

EDIT - Ahh a H100i, sorry.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom