Home alarm system

Associate
I have an existing wired alarm with 4 PIRs and two door contacts installed 6 years ago My fitter is due to come for the annual service next month. If i bought the texecom kit would it be as simple as swapping the panel, keypad and adding the wifi unit and just keep the existing cabling and PIRs?

I have a similar line of questioning.
I have an old wired alarm. It has a box, a panel, 4 wired PIRs and a door contact.

I would like to swap it out for one of these Texecom units and also add another 1 or 2 PIRs and a patio door alarm.
Would this 86 kit work ?
It is a little od, at least 20+ years, will the wiring be good enough to use with the Texecom, maybe replace the existing PIRs with the wired Texecom ones and use wireless patio door and PIRs for the other zones ?

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
OP
I have an old wired alarm. It has a box, a panel, 4 wired PIRs and a door contact.

I would like to swap it out for one of these Texecom units and also add another 1 or 2 PIRs and a patio door alarm.
Would this 86 kit work ?
It is a little od, at least 20+ years, will the wiring be good enough to use with the Texecom, maybe replace the existing PIRs with the wired Texecom ones and use wireless patio door and PIRs for the other zones ?

Let the knowledgeable guys confirm it properly but from what I've learned in this thread sounds like it should work, the 86 has 4 wired zones off the box and 2 from the keypad should be able to take your current PIR's off the box and utilise the wireless door contact and 3 wireless PIR's you get in the kit for the extras you want, then just to buy 4 additional wired PIR's to replace your old ones.

Associate

Would this 86 kit work ?
You could go for the kit as above and just replace one of the wired detectors with wireless or you may be better off looking at the premier 24 panel with a wireless expander as the wiring will already be running to your panel so a bit more of a pain to wire to the keypad for additional zones. The wiring should be fine. Normally the cable installed is 8 core. For Door Contacts you only use 2 cores and the PIR's use 4. Might be worth testing them all before purchasing just in case though.

Soldato
We had a new conservatory and I disabled and removed the PIR sensor in there. Today the electricians came and wired up the lights etc in the new conservatory and they turned the power off. Not sure whether this is a coincidence or not.

This evening I reconnected a new PIR Sensor in the conservatory went to do a walk test and none of my PIR sensors were working. Checked them and the red led lights are not on.

So far I have checked.

1. All the fuses in the control panel and the fuse spur underneath all okay.
2. Measured the 12v wires on each PIR sensor and they are getting 2.5v (which seems wrong)
3. Double checked I have wired the new one up.
4. Alarm battery is okay and getting 13.8v
5. Transformer is outputting 20.5v AC
6. Traced the 12v green/white wires back to the control panel and measured the voltage from the terminal and it shows 2.5v.

I can not remember the last time I saw the PIR sensors flash red but we went out yesterday and set the alarm okay. Now today when I set the alarm the 4 red lights light up for 1-4 sensors but instead of the usual exit beeps I just get 4 beeps repeated.

So as far as I can tell the 12v output terminals from the control panel are outputting 2.5v not 12v ? Does this look like the problem and it needs a new Control Panel ? Just need a sanity check. :)

Associate
We had a new conservatory and I disabled and removed the PIR sensor in there. Today the electricians came and wired up the lights etc in the new conservatory and they turned the power off. Not sure whether this is a coincidence or not.

This evening I reconnected a new PIR Sensor in the conservatory went to do a walk test and none of my PIR sensors were working. Checked them and the red led lights are not on.

So far I have checked.

1. All the fuses in the control panel and the fuse spur underneath all okay.
2. Measured the 12v wires on each PIR sensor and they are getting 2.5v (which seems wrong)
3. Double checked I have wired the new one up.
4. Alarm battery is okay and getting 13.8v
5. Transformer is outputting 20.5v AC
6. Traced the 12v green/white wires back to the control panel and measured the voltage from the terminal and it shows 2.5v.

I can not remember the last time I saw the PIR sensors flash red but we went out yesterday and set the alarm okay. Now today when I set the alarm the 4 red lights light up for 1-4 sensors but instead of the usual exit beeps I just get 4 beeps repeated.

So as far as I can tell the 12v output terminals from the control panel are outputting 2.5v not 12v ? Does this look like the problem and it needs a new Control Panel ? Just need a sanity check. :)
What is the panel? Have you tried a complete downpower and power back up?

Associate
Sorry its an old Veritas R8 Plus (2002) going to try the downpower this evening. Thinking of buying a replacement panel for £60 and fitting it myself.
If that doesn't work try taking the cores out that are powering the PIR you had removed. If any work was carried out near it they may have pinched a cable. If I remember rightly the poly version of the Prem 24 is the same size panel. You'd need a new keypad as well but you'd be able to link the smartcom to it and have a lot more functionality than the veritas.

Soldato
If that doesn't work try taking the cores out that are powering the PIR you had removed. If any work was carried out near it they may have pinched a cable. If I remember rightly the poly version of the Prem 24 is the same size panel. You'd need a new keypad as well but you'd be able to link the smartcom to it and have a lot more functionality than the veritas.

Tried full down power made no difference. I'd already tried removing the new senor which didnt do anything either. I also removed the wires from the AUX 12v+/- terminals just to see what it shows and it was 4v. With wires it shows 2.07v. Double checked the wiring in the conservatory and its fine.

Still think the control panel is the culprit. 12v is meant to provide 12v not 4v surely.

Associate
Tried full down power made no difference. I'd already tried removing the new senor which didnt do anything either. I also removed the wires from the AUX 12v+/- terminals just to see what it shows and it was 4v. With wires it shows 2.07v. Double checked the wiring in the conservatory and its fine.

Still think the control panel is the culprit. 12v is meant to provide 12v not 4v surely.
Could well be but I always like to double check everything first. Try taking bell and keypad off as well and the internal speaker if you have one

Soldato
Could well be but I always like to double check everything first. Try taking bell and keypad off as well and the internal speaker if you have one

Yeah tried that no difference.

Also try it with everything connected other than the battery. When was it last replaced?

4 weeks. Tried that no difference.

Bought a set of new fuses just in case even though I've had them all out and tested already.

Thinking of just scrapping it and getting something else.

Back
Top Bottom