Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Here you are guys, running marathons and I'm over here feeling genuinely disheartened with my couple of 5k runs a week :D

Just not making any progress since hit first 5k at the end of April, in fact on average my runs gotten slower.

Soldato
Just figured I'd be improving by now, however almost seem to be going backwards and it's definitely isn't getting any easier. Then again I've never ran regularly so no idea how long it takes to build up that "base".

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Consistency is more important anything else, i get the feeling this could a big part of your problem.

Not too hard to find 1.5 hrs a week for it.

Soldato
Yes, you just need to enjoy it really and manage expectations. Stop looking at your watch and just go out and run, if you walk then so be-it, find new routes, through in some hills/trails etc. I'm nowhere near the runner i could have been had i really focussed on running from the start but i enjoy it and that's all that bothers me.

In December i ran a 10k at about the same pace as i did back in 2017. I've never been one specifically for "training", I've tried to make 2020 different though and i'm now faster than i was in December, the main improvements in speed have come from a combination of losing ~15kg since the start of this year and trying to "train" more, this comprised of an increase in volume. In 2019 i averaged around 15 miles/week, yet this year i'm closer to ~25 and thats with around a month off when i was concussed and other months have regularly been over 100 miles which in 2019 even my highest month was around 75.

If i was you i think i'd try and focus less on constantly running and try and go longer distances. Try and do one longer run a week and as you get more used to that you'll find the 5k easier. Just remember though that other things will contribute to your runs, whether it's diet, stress or tiredness. There are times now when i'll still stop and walk during a 10k and i've been running for about 5 years and ran a marathon. Sometimes it just happens.

Associate
Here you are guys, running marathons and I'm over here feeling genuinely disheartened with my couple of 5k runs a week :D

Just not making any progress since hit first 5k at the end of April, in fact on average my runs gotten slower.
I did the April 2019 Manchester marathon and I have hardly ran since, possibly 10-15 times.
Completely lost all motivation now, no races booked etc, I wouldn't worry about only doing a couple of runs, at least you are getting out!

Soldato
I have still been consistent but just don't feel like I'm improving from cardiovascular point of view and shin splints still basically the same.

I did stop pushing for PBs few weeks after hitting the first 5k in April and runs are slower now as a whole. Maybe it's just a motivation issue as the event I was supposed to do in September got cancelled so I'm literally just running for the hell of it with only goal to keep 5k run under half hour (barely). Maybe it just takes longer to build up fitness than strength, I normally get stronger pretty quick in the gym once start training.

Associate
You cant smash a PB every run, do not be so hard on yourself. Just go out for a run enjoy it with a less often brings more gains over time.

Still if anyone wants a little motivation.... (thinking of doing this myself atm...)

https://endtoend.run/lands-end-to-j...caQFAweIcdDZhrSzKY_71edfTVyVRDXbPia8uz-ScYDPE

Oooo that looks like a lot of good fun to be honest and should be motivation to maintain millage during autumn/winter which I often struggle. Currently 4 week average is 39 miles so could maybe finish before Christmas and give me the 1000 year goal I'd loosely set my eyes on which I never quite managed before.

Something a few years back I remember DP saying to me was about training slow, racing fast (or something to that effect, I even bought the 80/20 training book he linked, which is really useful BTW) and has worked for me. Getting in time and distance makes a big difference, plenty of easy runs and keeping the heart rate down does wonders for CV fitness. You do need to gradually increase time as you go, and factor in recovery weeks where you drop the effort a little.

I was super happy to see my 15mi on Sunday was averaging 155bpm, and this morning I did was near 9mi at 151bpm. I still get tired and get some wonderful aches but recovery times are notably much shorter and I can really kick up the pace in my interval training sessions.

Soldato
Yes, something like that is good for motivation. I'm in a few Strava challenges which are yearly based too and it's always good to see where you are on the graph. 1000 miles for the year looks very smashable, the 2020KM will be trickier i expect.

I went for my first run yesterday after that challenge of running for 13 days straight. After 2 days recovery i felt great and really strong. Was running fairly quick and HR was fairly low at 155. Looking forward to a long hilly run at the weekend.

Associate
So, I have just had the results in for the Virtual 10k I was doing and I came 16th out of 64.

In addition, I came in as "Fastest Veteran" with 1:04:04 for the 10k. Looks like age does have some benefits :)

Soldato
Looks like my routes are about to drastically change, gearbox on the car went so I'm basically down to whatever routes I have around my house until I can afford a new car in a few months.

Associate
I'm going to sign up for that Lands End to john o Groats virtual SPG linked, looks fun and a hopefully realistic goal to do before Christmas.

This morning was Yasso800 x 7 (was meant to be 8 but got my route/timings wrong). Set myself a goal of 3:30 per 800m (Based on my finger in the air aim of a 3hr30 marathon) and pretty much nailed it with 3:29, 3:34, 3:34, 3:30, 3:27, 3:26, 3:28. I think I had enough left to have been able to do the 8th but still very happy with that. Might have been able to push the time down a little, but probably not by a massive margin.

Soldato
Awful day today.

Had a great route planned around the 20 mile mark. Didn’t drink last night and went to bed early.

Go up and felt ok. But 5 minutes into the run I felt off and my legs felt heavy. My watch gives me a “baseline performance” around 10 minutes into the run. Mine popped up showing -3. I’m not sure what it’s based on. I think it’s just pace and HR but it obviously showed my body wasn’t feeling right.

I plodded around for around 6 miles. Then decided to change route and head back. Went down a few dead ends which put me into a bad mood and walking more than I should. At one point I ended up waving across a river about thigh deep.

Got home with a time for the slowest 13.1 miles I’ve ever ran!

The only positive was that I found an amazing hill for hill climbs. It’s about 175ft of climb and quite short. I might venture out there one day next week.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I dunno Marv, river wading sounds a brilliant day out to me :) Better than dodging dog muck from scumbag dog owners anyone would think i live in San Francisco atm with the amount of poop around here.

Soldato
Wish I had that around me, nowhere really decent to run around my house apart from a big cemetery park thing, not sure on ethics of using that as a jogging route :eek:

Caporegime
Wish I had that around me, nowhere really decent to run around my house apart from a big cemetery park thing, not sure on ethics of using that as a jogging route :eek:

ive run in a cemetery a few times. Wouldn't make a habit of it but its fine if you are quiet and done empty your sinuses. I had a kid ain a stroller and in the USA there weren't many sidewalks, plus the cemetery was very shady which helps when it is 30C

Caporegime
Awful day today.

Had a great route planned around the 20 mile mark. Didn’t drink last night and went to bed early.

Go up and felt ok. But 5 minutes into the run I felt off and my legs felt heavy. My watch gives me a “baseline performance” around 10 minutes into the run. Mine popped up showing -3. I’m not sure what it’s based on. I think it’s just pace and HR but it obviously showed my body wasn’t feeling right.

I plodded around for around 6 miles. Then decided to change route and head back. Went down a few dead ends which put me into a bad mood and walking more than I should. At one point I ended up waving across a river about thigh deep.

Got home with a time for the slowest 13.1 miles I’ve ever ran!

The only positive was that I found an amazing hill for hill climbs. It’s about 175ft of climb and quite short. I might venture out there one day next week.

sometimes you have a **** run for no reason, sometimes it id from lack of sleep, overtraining, heat or fighting a cold you aren't aware of etc. Nothing you can do and pushing deeper into the suffering doesn't help. Race performance doesn't depend of a single run but the accumulation of a long train season.

Sometimes you just have to listen to your body.If it says no, then accept it as it is for the best not to push too hard, other times when you plan something easy but feel amazing then you can push harder.

Soldato
Agreed. I knew from the off it wasn’t my day and trying to force it on a training run would just result in feeling worse.

Got out today and did some hill repeats which felt good. Sprinted up for the last one which really killed me. Think it took my HR to 184 which I’ve not seen it at for a long time.

Associate
Day 1 of the lejog challenge and I did zero miles as planned :D Monday's are typically a rest day from Sunday long runs, though last week I did it on Saturday (my other rest day) as it was the eldest's birthday on Sunday. Was my longest run ever at little over 18 miles. Last couple were tough and I think had it been Sunday it might have been easier, but still pretty very happy and was also my biggest week clocking in 49 miles total.

Back
Top Bottom