Can't daisy chain switches??

Associate
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
Hi all,

Just routed 7m of cables through the floorboards to get ethernet to another room and having an odd problem.

Setup
1) I have a 24 port switch under the stairs that connects to the router
2) I have an 8 port switch in the new room
3) I've then connected from the 24 port switch to the 8 port switch and from the 8 port switch to my TV and there's no network connection.

When I take the switch out the equation and plug directly into the TV everything works great, so I know the switch is the problem.

Strangely I've been using this switch for about three years without problem and just moved it upstairs when I was doing this.

Are there any issues with daisy chaining switches or configuration problems that could be causing this?

Both are Netgear powered switches.

Don
There should be no issue daisy chaining switches
(We have chains of 4-5 switches at work)

As above could be a crossover issue (but would generally only be really old switches)

What model numbers are the switches?

Permabanned
You don't have a spare switch lying around to replace it with the middle one do you? Good chance auto switching isn't working on one or the other switches.

You got a photo of the tester output with both ends in the tester?

Associate
OP
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
Oh dear..... Ok worked it out, the ethernet connector was a bit of a stiff fit and obviously wasn't clicking in fully. Tried pushing it harder and everything sprang to life.

Might get some better quality connectors and replace just for reassurance!

Thanks for all the help! Much appreciated as always!

Permabanned
Oh dear..... Ok worked it out, the ethernet connector was a bit of a stiff fit and obviously wasn't clicking in fully. Tried pushing it harder and everything sprang to life.

Bad connectors then. You can get dodgy ones from online if it's not from a good source. Had some myself and ended up sending them back to the seller.

Soldato

Everyone loves an easy fix!
Any time I crimp I always exercice the clips a little as they come a little flat from factory.

Soldato
Could you explain this please? It’s not something I do or am aware of as a ‘thing’.
I assume they're talking about bending the retaining clip up after crimping the plug so they lock into the socket more positively.

It's something I do as well. The cable boots I use put pressure on the locking clip during the crimp which flattens them out a bit.

Back
Top Bottom