Windows 10

V F

V F

Soldato
All fixed. I just needed to remove every trace of the Creative drivers and software, reboot and reinstall everything. Not too bad to fix but at the end of the day it shouldn't need fixing in the first place.

Well that is good. At least it's not rendered obsolete like what happened to the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude. The only way it'll work is to disable driver signing but then you're no longer taking advantage of security features.

Man of Honour
creative need to pull their fingers out and update their drivers. Asus are no better, infact all of them, they all need to sort their **** out. When it comes to audio, support has always been dreadful from all the manufacturers.

Goes both ways - support from the audio hardware manufacturers is generally poor but MS also keeps messing things around and acting as if their end of the code exists in isolation.

Same problem with GPUs as well to a degree - especially on the nVidia side where they aren't afraid to use undocumented approaches or work around, etc. i.e. to get G-Sync working with windowed modes and the desktop to work around limitations in the OS code MS will happily break everything they've done just because without cooperating with the GPU manufacturers.

V F

V F

Soldato
creative need to pull their fingers out and update their drivers. Asus are no better, infact all of them, they all need to sort their **** out. When it comes to audio, support has always been dreadful from all the manufacturers.

It wont happen. It's all about generating sales for new cards. They don't want you holding onto cards in use like some of us who has had them 8 - 15 years.

Soldato
It wont happen. It's all about generating sales for new cards. They don't want you holding onto cards in use like some of us who has had them 8 - 15 years.
It wont have me buying a new card. I'm only using my d2 because my DAC blew up. whoops. Luckily for me I don't have any issues with it in windows 10, but once I've repair the DAC my d2 will be going back in the drawer lol.

Man of Honour
I have had Creative sound cards from the socket 775 days starting with the Audigy 2 I believe it was. That lasted for several years until the X-Fi came out at which point I sold it on. The X-Fi lasted until the Soundblaster Z came out and that also got sold on. From Windows XP through Vista (very briefly), 7 and now 10 I have had no problems at all with Creatives drivers. The only problems I have had are poorly implemented Windows updates messing around with things.

Soldato
I have had Creative sound cards from the socket 775 days starting with the Audigy 2 I believe it was. That lasted for several years until the X-Fi came out at which point I sold it on. The X-Fi lasted until the Soundblaster Z came out and that also got sold on. From Windows XP through Vista (very briefly), 7 and now 10 I have had no problems at all with Creatives drivers. The only problems I have had are poorly implemented Windows updates messing around with things.

That's nice to hear. Shame you think reinstalling a driver is such big issue though. Then again if all you had to do is reinstall the driver then MS couldn't have changed too much, eh?

Caporegime
Not a single issue on 2004. I'm just cloning it now using Clonezilla. One of the best ones out there and USB bootable.

My image is 46GB and it's took 14 mins to make the image so far and it's doing a data check which is 5 mins done out of 10.

I am now formatting my machine with latest MS ISO for a clean install.

Got my image down to 81GB, not bad, its better than 700GB+ :p

V F

V F

Soldato

I remember when I was so gutted that the drivers wouldn't work on Windows 2000 for the Aureal Vortex 3D. The sound kept dying. A reboot would bring it back but the drivers would lose the sound again after a while. It was only awesome on Windows 98/SE.

Caporegime
Got my image down to 81GB, not bad, its better than 700GB+ :p

Image done, and its just under 47GB, which is odd, as before id imaged, i subtracted the free space left on the drive, from the total size of it, and that came to 78GB, then when i went into Macrium, to image this disk, it came up saying it was 91GB, then after id imaged (which took just under 15mins), i went and checked the image file, and its reporting its just under 47GB, so **** knows :D

Mind you, i had a feeling it wasn't going to be about 80/90GB, as ive only got Windows on, and my Programs like Steam etc..., and i took all the games off (which ive got backed up to put back), as they were around 650 odd GB in total, and i didn't fancy taking hrs to do an image. :p

Permabanned
Image done, and its just under 47GB, which is odd, as before id imaged, i subtracted the free space left on the drive, from the total size of it, and that came to 78GB, then when i went into Macrium, to image this disk, it came up saying it was 91GB, then after id imaged (which took just under 15mins), i went and checked the image file, and its reporting its just under 47GB, so **** knows :D

Mind you, i had a feeling it wasn't going to be about 80/90GB, as ive only got Windows on, and my Programs like Steam etc..., and i took all the games off (which ive got backed up to put back), as they were around 650 odd GB in total, and i didn't fancy taking hrs to do an image. :p

Might have been better to format, install the basics then take another image. By the time you posted in this thread as a reply you could have formatted 200 times over.

Associate
Still rocking 1909, is 2004 worth installing?
I don't think HAGS works on the GTX 970 I have. What's the performance numbers like with 2004 vs 1909?

Soldato
That was a cracking sound card if I remember right. I would be gutted.
Im still using my X-FI extreme music sound card today. I must have been using it now for a good 15+yrs and its still works great, even with win10 64bit.. I even have a old external LTO3 SCSI tape drive with a SCSI pcie card to run it and windows10 detected both of these devices and they run perfectly also.

QjOYKIz.jpg

2M7mszd.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom