Tower block fire - london

Soldato
OFC he got cleared, he didn't ACTUALLY do anything illegal...

How it even went that far is ridiculous. It was way to soon, but you can't prosecute people for it.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
The Grenfell Tower fire inquiry "must not ignore" the impact of race and poverty on the disaster, a lawyer representing survivors has said.

Leslie Thomas QC, also representing bereaved families, said the 2017 fire was "inextricably linked with race".

And he urged the inquiry to be on the "right side of history" when considering how the issue contributed towards the deaths of the 72 victims.

The inquiry returned this week after a four-month break due to coronavirus.

"The Grenfell fire did not happen in a vacuum," said Mr Thomas in his opening statement.

"A majority of the Grenfell residents who died were people of colour.

"Grenfell is inextricably linked with race. It is the elephant in the room.

"This disaster happened in a pocket of one of the smallest yet richest boroughs in London.

"Yet the community affected was predominantly working-class. That is the stark reality that cannot be ignored."

I'm in disbelief.

The Grenfell Next of Kin group has called for the inquiry to "investigate the extent of institutional racism as a factor" in the fire in June 2017.

Could someone explain how conflating the issues of immigration and poverty with institutional racism will provide any explanation for a badly designed, flammable tower-block?

Soldato
I'm in disbelief.

Could someone explain how conflating the issues of immigration and poverty with institutional racism will provide any explanation for a badly designed, flammable tower-block?

Because they put all the poor working class in the tower block out of sight out of mind.

Permabanned
Because they put all the poor working class in the tower block out of sight out of mind.

In probably the most prestigious and expensive borough in London...

The QC for the tenants, Leslie Thomas seems a bit of an idiot, given the months he has had to prepare his opening speech he comes out with this gem from his memory of his school days:

"The Grenfell fire did not happen in a vacuum,"

Go on, really....?

And of course, in current fashion, he goes on to imply the fire was racist:

"Grenfell is inextricably linked with race. It is the elephant in the room."

I wonder how much an hour he's getting for such scintillating fact and eloquence?

Soldato
In probably the most prestigious and expensive borough in London...

The QC for the tenants, Leslie Thomas seems a bit of an idiot, given the months he has had to prepare his opening speech he comes out with this gem from his memory of his school days:

"The Grenfell fire did not happen in a vacuum,"

Go on, really....?

And of course, in current fashion, he goes on to imply the fire was racist:

"Grenfell is inextricably linked with race. It is the elephant in the room."

I wonder how much an hour he's getting for such scintillating fact and eloquence?

Putting aside my stance on this, I'm pretty certain he's not insinuating the chemical reaction/phenomenon of fire is racist. I think the point he's making is that despite being in one of the richest boroughs of London, corners were cut and decisions made that in their opinion was influenced by the "type" of end user / tennant that would be inhabiting Grenfell.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I think the point he's making is that despite being in one of the richest boroughs of London, corners were cut and decisions made that in their opinion was influenced by the "type" of end user / tennant that would be inhabiting Grenfell.
You can say race, as that is specifically the subject for some strange reason.

Soldato
You can say race, as that is specifically the subject for some strange reason.

If I meant race I would have said it.

Edit actually you're right I've worded terribly. In their opinion it was influenced by race, so type should be "race".

I used the word "type" because I find it difficult to believe the decisions made at LA level, at design stage and construction were racially motivated.

Permabanned
Putting aside my stance on this, I'm pretty certain he's not insinuating the chemical reaction/phenomenon of fire is racist. I think the point he's making is that despite being in one of the richest boroughs of London, corners were cut and decisions made that in their opinion was influenced by the "type" of end user / tennant that would be inhabiting Grenfell.

For a QC in his all the time in the world to prepare opening speech to leave an intelligent gentleman like your good self (`tennant' aside.... ;)) saying "I am pretty certain he's not insinuating X" And "I think the point he is making" suggests he is not making things at all clear already, especially as many to whom he is addressing these words have poor English and a sub standard education, not being the promised and needed doctors, scientists and architects as Terminal_Boy so rightly notes ;) I strongly suspect there has been something of a mood swing amongst many of the English population and after the BLM troubles, the virus and the stress it's caused many may no longer look upon those making further attempts at financial and political capital from this fire so tolerantly. A current common disaster affecting people globally will tend to take the drama out of what is now a somewhat historic event that at the time grabbed the news.

Back
Top Bottom