Can I get scammed this way?

Associate
Someone is selling a laptop on gumtree about 2 hours from me. They say they don't want collection due to the virus and only want to send it.

They have said I can pay via PayPal so that I am covered but this seems like they are going out of their way as he would to pay fees. Also the price is already lower than others on eBay. If I pay via PayPal is there any way I can get scammed or will I be able to claim should he send a broken machine?

Tim

Permabanned
Someone is selling a laptop on gumtree about 2 hours from me. They say they don't want collection due to the virus and only want to send it.

They have said I can pay via PayPal so that I am covered but this seems like they are going out of their way as he would to pay fees. Also the price is already lower than others on eBay. If I pay via PayPal is there any way I can get scammed or will I be able to claim should he send a broken machine?

Tim
Scam, tell him you can go to his house and he can place it on the floor. There is no need to be close.

Man of Honour
So I understand why people say this feels like a scam but can you explain the mechanism behind how it could be? If it's done using PayPal goods/services, I don't see how you can be left out of pocket. Sure, the person might be dodgy and try to send a brick. In that case, you simply open a case with PayPal explaining the situation and you will get your money back. If he's already withdrawn his money, then PayPal are down, not you. This is what the fees go towards! If someone else has more experience with how this scam is supposed to work, then please say, however from my knowledge of how PayPal works, the buyer should be fine. I'd be more worried about it being in bad condition/failing in a few months.

Caporegime
So I understand why people say this feels like a scam but can you explain the mechanism behind how it could be? If it's done using PayPal goods/services, I don't see how you can be left out of pocket. Sure, the person might be dodgy and try to send a brick. In that case, you simply open a case with PayPal explaining the situation and you will get your money back. If he's already withdrawn his money, then PayPal are down, not you. This is what the fees go towards! If someone else has more experience with how this scam is supposed to work, then please say, however from my knowledge of how PayPal works, the buyer should be fine. I'd be more worried about it being in bad condition/failing in a few months.
do you open every parcel with a video camera running encase something else got send in it's box?

lets face it even if it's not a scam is it really worth the hassle?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I am surprised a moderator even replied with that dribble
Bit harsh. He was asking questions around his understanding and whilst doing so provided more helpful information on the thread than your uninformative posts.

Soldato
If you send the money via PayPal's 'friends & family' option then you can't claim it back if something goes wrong, as I understand it.

Back
Top Bottom