HP Reverb G2 uk release date?

Associate
Anybody have any news on the HP Reverb G2 being released in the uk? can't find anything online, they are already taking pre orders in the us. A lot of people are comparing it to the valve index only far cheaper.

Soldato
Can't see the tracking competing with lighthouse and also the low refresh rate. So not really, probably a step up from the Rift S, saying that if the UK price is good I might be interested.

Soldato
Base stations and loads of wiring vs none? If the tracking is as good as the quest for 4 cameras then its good enough for most people.

Plus visually the G2 should be better than the index. Needs a hell of a GPU to drive it though. Very sharp image at 90Hz should be plenty.

A £400 saving over the index goes a long way to funding that GPU.

I cant justify it though. I'm playing a mix of PCVR and standalone quest games/movies which suits me. I do need a better GPU to even drive the Quest properly, so waiting for the next gen to come out later this year.

Associate
any idea if you will be able to buy this off steam like the index using steam credit ?

I think this would suit me better than the index and I dont expect getting one of those before Christmas.

Soldato
any idea if you will be able to buy this off steam like the index using steam credit ?

I think this would suit me better than the index and I dont expect getting one of those before Christmas.

you won't be able to buy it using Steam, it's not a Valve Headset. It's From HP.

Soldato
I doubt the controller tracking will be anywhere near as good as the Rift S or Quest. No-one has yet managed to do inside out tracking working as well as Oculus. Also the controllers don't have capacitive button & stick sensors, so they won't be as good for games as the Oculus Touch or Valve Index controllers - that finger tracking is essential for immersion and interaction.

I will proably be the best sim headset out there though, providing you have the PC hardware to do it justice.

Soldato
Not a bad price. My GPU can't handle it anyway.

Should be very good for PC based stuff especially sim racing. Think ideal set up would be one of these solely dedicated to pc stuff then a quest for portable fun. When I get my dedicated games room, think that's the aim.

Soldato
It should look glorious with so many pixels but I'm kinda hoping for more of a middle ground headset. Something that won't require a 2080ti run smoothly.

It's got a half resolution mode, which should allow use of less demanding hardware but still get the benefit of the almost non-existent SDE.

Soldato
It's got a half resolution mode, which should allow use of less demanding hardware but still get the benefit of the almost non-existent SDE.
That could work. The main thing for me is for the pixels not to be noticeable through the lenses. It's like running 720p on a 1080p display it's doesn't make the pixels on the screen any more viable so I'd be happy to run half res if possible.

Associate
After some thought I've pre-ordered. I was in two minds having only just got a Quest, but my main use is sim racing so I think it'll be worth it. My only concern is will my system be able to drive it - got a 3700X/5700XT setup at the min but have best part of a grand in a next gen GFX fund, which I'm expecting to be used on some new card or other in order to get the full benefit of this HMD.

On the subject of the pre-order, anyone else do this? I chose the direct bank transfer option, but it's not given me any details to actually make the transfer. So I'm assuming they don't want the money until closer to release?

Back
Top Bottom