Do cities have to be so sexist?

Caporegime
Dunno what you're on about...

0-PAY-Asia-Wire-Guangxi-Building-02.jpg
thats clearly man spreading !!!!!

Associate
Unfortunately that is not an article its and advertorial masquerading as one and the Guardian should have labeled it as such. It also seems to promote segregation and the dissolution of the family but there we are, I'm sure its very forward thinking.

edit: That's just my opinion from reading the piece

Soldato
It's a ridiculous opinion piece they know will rile up a few people causing them to share it to get more clicks and views. It seems to be bait as that's exactly the purpose, on the other end of the spectrum it's the same thing Katie Hopkins does.

Soldato
She mentions pram spaces are hard to find,
I do wonder what is meant by this quote. Hard to find as in get on a bus and can't find the space, or hard to find as by the time she gets on the bus they're taken by other pram or disabled users?
In Edinburgh pram and disabled spaces are shared (maybe, there was a big who-ha about it, they might be seperate again) and are massive empty spaces on the bus just beyond the door and stairs so hard to miss when on the bus.
If it's the latter unfortunately it's economics, can't have an entire floor left empty for pram users as it greatly reduces the number of seats and the space pram takes up can have a few fee paying riders in the same space. Also economics as if you're lucky to live near the costlier in property prices town centre then mums coming from out of town will most likely have claimed the pram space anyway.

Soldato
I do wonder what is meant by this quote. Hard to find as in get on a bus and can't find the space, or hard to find as by the time she gets on the bus they're taken by other pram or disabled users?
In Edinburgh pram and disabled spaces are shared (maybe, there was a big who-ha about it, they might be seperate again) and are massive empty spaces on the bus just beyond the door and stairs so hard to miss when on the bus.
If it's the latter unfortunately it's economics, can't have an entire floor left empty for pram users as it greatly reduces the number of seats and the space pram takes up can have a few fee paying riders in the same space. Also economics as if you're lucky to live near the costlier in property prices town centre then mums coming from out of town will most likely have claimed the pram space anyway.

I suppose it goes back to the design. We've probably all heard of stories where people with prams (or wheelchairs, as you mentioned) aren't able to travel because there isn't space for them. The article seems to me to suggest that there is a onus to consider that usage when designing the bus and having more mixed space. Trains have collapsible seats that can be used for prams/wheelchairs or folded down to have seats. I've not seen this on a bus.

Again, it's just reminding us that we need to put the consumer first in design and implementation and be conscious of our short comings and inexperience. I have a friend who is blind and is heavily involved in charities and government about how to ensure things are easily accessible for those people. Again, if I was designing a bus I don't think I'd give much consideration to it. It is this that the article is arguing, men are the primary designers/constructors/planners of something and therefore do so to please their own view instead of realising that the end user may have entirely different needs.

Caporegime
Its a valid message buried under a sensational load of BS and terrible headline.

Cities are not very friendly to certain groups of people.

As for the architecture always being associated with sex organs... jesus christ. its the 21st centuray.

Soldato
I'm not sure what this is responding to about me calling out your gross caveman attitude lmao

You didn't call me out, you typed "yikes" in a childish effeminate manner, typical of people who want to have a sly dig but don't have the gall to actually construct an argument.

Soldato
I think this woman is bonkers, but I'm all for an end to sky scrapers, simply as they look totally ugly.

Neoclassical architecture is timeless and I hope it makes a return one day.

Permabanned
You didn't call me out, you typed "yikes" in a childish effeminate manner, typical of people who want to have a sly dig but don't have the gall to actually construct an argument.

Lmao why would I bother "constructing an argument" when you already recognise that your opinion is gross? :rolleyes:

You're upset about a word rather than having a really gross attitude to women in the workplace. If you can't be cognisant of that... Welp. I've been with women who have had to deal with your terrible attitude and it absolutely sucks for them because they know they're being hired because of how they look rather than their ability, having to put up with sleazy old dimwits hitting on them after a couple of drinks because their wife isn't there because they are established.

Soldato
Soldato
Noticed is one thing. But to write an article about it to stir up a sexism debate.
Yeah, agreed :)
Sorry, I wasn't sure if you were talking about the people you quoted, as I've seen comments in other articles about that Chinese tower that try to make out you must have a filthy mind for it to even occur to you that it looks like a bloke's bits.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom