MSI's X570 Tomahawk May Become Go-To OC Board??

Caporegime
Loving the board so far, performance is great. Word to the wise though - Dragon Centre is legit malware, it totally ***** the LAN adaptors, MSI should be bloody ashamed of themselves for allowing it to even be downloaded.
Disable the LAN manager... it cuts the LAN speed to 1/10th of what it should be and is enabled by default. Absolute disgrace.

MSI software in general is BS.

Caporegime
Thank you, disabled it, only reason I installed it was for mystic light as I wanted some control over the argb

Apparently there is a separate RGB app that doesn't yet support all of the latest motherboards so I hope they can update that so we can uninstall the dreadful Dragon Center. AT least the fan control options are ok.

Associate
What exactly does it do to the one LAN adapter?
Explain please @mjsfuk and perhaps @MSI Support can discuss this with us.
As Richdog said, the LAN Manager portion of Dragon Center causes major issues with packet loss and throttling.

To troubleshoot i tested it wired and wireless to a home router, then USB tethered and wireless tethered to a 4G phone, each time tested with and without a VPN. The issues presented itself in each scenario, causing latency of +1000ms in all applications when viewed in Resource Monitor. As soon as LAN Manager was disabled the latency issue stopped. From a quick google search the exact same issue has been reported on numerous other forums.

LAN Manager is turned on by default when Dragon Center is installed which is why I'm calling out MSI on this, it literally cripples the LAN adapter. They need to patch it or pull it.

Last edited:
Associate
Agreed, I had reformatted recently and decided not to install dragon Centre as it just felt like bloatware. And I don't have any RGB, if I was 16 I'd probably have it lol

I mean i'm going with the RGB (though definitely not 16 lol). Guess ill have to figure out a different way to control it.

Associate
Stop complaining, still waiting for mine to arrive:( :p

In seriousness, good info on the Lan. Just changed routers and I would’ve blamed the new router if I hadn't known.

Caporegime
Manager is turned on by default when Dragon Center is installed which is why I'm calling out MSI on this, it literally cripples the LAN adapter. They need to patch it or pull it.
They simply don't care enough to make it a priority and it seems like the company has horrendous inefficiencies reaction to problems and getting them fixed. I am guessing the levels of red tape and different silos within the company are high.

The latest version of DC also has an error where it will not load.. . mine updated yesterday, I got the error, then tried reinstalling and no joy. Apparently it's something to do with a Windows update so I need ot troubleshoot further later. You can read info here https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/hmoisy/parse_online_data_failed_in_msi_dragon_center/

Soldato
Glad I saw about this about the Lan throttling issue - that would have driven me nuts! Is the problem only in the Dragon Centre - if so, I just won't install it. Or is required?!

Also, bios. Anyone hazard a guess what the new batch are going to ship with? I'm on pre-order but no indication of dispatch date yet :(

Caporegime
Glad I saw about this about the Lan throttling issue - that would have driven me nuts! Is the problem only in the Dragon Centre - if so, I just won't install it. Or is required?!

Also, bios. Anyone hazard a guess what the new batch are going to ship with? I'm on pre-order but no indication of dispatch date yet :(
Doesn't really matter what it ships with, just update it when you get it if you need to.

Associate

I just downloaded the latest bios from MSI website and is on my USB stick along with the windows install and lan drivers. Will compare the bios versions and flash if needed.

Edit: just got a response to my webnote asking on an ETA and the response I got said if their suppliers have this in stock, they estimate another delivery in 5-10 days..:( really itching to cancel and order another board now....

Last edited:
Associate
I know it will be, I did a lot of research before deciding, it's just all the other parts are around me in my office... screaming to be put to use. Will probably wait, it's just the fact that there's no definite date for stock availability. :(

Soldato
Apparently there is a separate RGB app that doesn't yet support all of the latest motherboards so I hope they can update that so we can uninstall the dreadful Dragon Center. AT least the fan control options are ok.
dragon centre is bad but its the best way to control the fans as the bios fan control is *****. The wifi stopped dropping out after the last bios update though.

Associate
Well, I've done it. Cancelled the X570 Tomahawk and went for the X570 Unify. An extra £80, but seeing as there's no definitive dates for the Tomahawk to come in stock, I'd rather get my hands on something now. Other retailers have also slipped their dates forward, so it seems to be a UK-wide (if not Europe) issue.

The Unify was dispatched earlier today, so I'm hoping that I'll have it tomorrow!

Associate
I really do wish there was more info from OCUK if you have an order in. I feel like i'm bugging them, despite the fact they have my money.

Not expecting upto date stock levels but when you know people are recieving these and when you check it still says "Pre Order" with no date its frustrating.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom