Best AntiSpyware + Anti Virus Programs

Associate
Hi,

I'm just wondering what the best programs to use at the moment are ?

In the past few years I've used AVG, HijackThis, Spybot, Malwarebytes Free + Adcleaner, SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition + Windows Defender. Are these programs still good to use or would you recommend any other ?

I used to like HijackThis but it looks like it's been discontinued or at least there is nowhere to analyse log files ? Can you do that here ?

Thanks

Viper10

Soldato
all you need is Windows Defender amd run malewarebytes once a month job done

Windows Defender has almost the same detection rate as most top AVs now days

Associate
Malwarebytes Free is good for on-demand scanning for malware. While Windows Defender is better than nothing there are several free solutions from many antivirus companies. I would do some research and see what better suits your needs.

Associate
OP
I used to use McAfee but it was too expensive and a resource hog. A few years ago Kaspersky was recommended but there was some scandal about it. I suppose most programs have a trial period where you can test them out. They might pick up threats that others don't...

Windows defender seems to be decent and MB Free as well...

Soldato
I use windows defender plus Malwarebytes premium, I get it free with my Natwest account, so if you have Natwest, see if you can get it free under the security area of your account. I believe it does a few devices too.

Associate
Been using AVG for a long time, was a Kaspersky user for a bit then it was revealed it was riddled with hideen spyware, pesky Russians!! For on demand stuff, as others have said, Malwarebytes free is as good as any.

Soldato
Been a Nod user on PC and phone for years, never had any bother with it nor ever had any malware. I do think though that the Min Defender is probably ok though

Associate
All I use is Windows Defender, common sense is all you really need these days. If I do download something dodgy then I run it through VirusTotal. uBlock Origin in hardened mode pretty much gets rid of most junk found on the interwebs for browser protection.

Caporegime
Woah, first time ever this morning - Chrome reloaded last night's web pages on startup, which I like but YouTube adverts started playing on my Digital Foundry video! uBlock Origin failed for the first time. Anyone know what to do or has YouTube found a way around it?

Caporegime
I ran my old machine with windows security and firewall disabled with no third party AV or malware software for around 4 years, I did a few thorough scans out of curiosity before I got rid including those ones that are ran outside of the OS and nothing was found.

As above, common sense and leave defender enabled for a bit of peace of mind. Make sure remote assistance/connections are fully disabled if you don't use the feature as this is how most attackers get in.

Back
Top Bottom