• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Hopefully for all of us AMD come out and hit them a lot harder than they expect and they look like a bunch of monkeys if that happens.

That would be nice but I'm not sure if AMD have the cash to plough into R&D to make that happen. Nvidia probably spend double so you would expect their performance to be double as well. Except they clearly hold back. I'm hoping that Nvidia will underestimate AMD and hold back too much.

I'm probably in the minority saying that as I'm sure most don't want Nvidia to hold back but I think competition and competitive prices is more important.

Although saying that, I remember during last year's Computex, Microsoft said they were helping with the design of RDNA, so I assume that means a proportion of R&D? So possibly Sony as well?

Associate
If those are accurate we basically have another turing on the way.
Its not quite that bad tbh because in that scenario a 3080Ti would be 30% faster than a 2080Ti with a massive price hike to say £2k.

a more accurate way to look at it is Ampere being a better Turing but still not a generational leap we've seen in the past.... but I've said this before Turing was a lost generation of GPUs its actually damaged PC gaming for consumers for commercial gain at Nvidia.

The best we can hope for at this point imho is greater volumes coming from both TSMC and Samsung combined (across both Nvidia & AMD) leading to both performance increases and price reductions to products. If we get both of those then things start to improve dramatically, I'm not predicting that btw I think Nvidia will do everything it can to launch first and hold price.

I'd be very surprised if a Titan/3090 part isn't manufactured on TSMC though.

Who knows for sure though we've got another month or more to go imho before this starts to come clearer

Soldato
Its not quite that bad tbh because in that scenario a 3080Ti would be 30% faster than a 2080Ti
I was referring to the 3070 / 3060 which look like less than 15% jump, I think this is actually worse than Turin and considering the majority buy in this range it would be a disaster for nvidia.

Soldato
That would be nice but I'm not sure if AMD have the cash to plough into R&D to make that happen. Nvidia probably spend double so you would expect their performance to be double as well. Except they clearly hold back. I'm hoping that Nvidia will underestimate AMD and hold back too much.

I'm probably in the minority saying that as I'm sure most don't want Nvidia to hold back but I think competition and competitive prices is more important.

Although saying that, I remember during last year's Computex, Microsoft said they were helping with the design of RDNA, so I assume that means a proportion of R&D? So possibly Sony as well?

AMD have proven what they can do with minimal R&D with Ryzen. I know lightning striking once doesn't mean it will again but with the money from Zen hopefully they can plough more money into it and push on again.

If you think about it, it's amazing how close they have been over the last few years with probably 5-10% of the budget of Intel on the cpu side and Nvidia on the gpu side.

With the new console money guaranteed for the next 6-7 years it's definitely a nice boon too.

Caporegime
That has been the case for the last 15 years, since I've been a PC gamers I've never felt compelled to upgrade everytime there is a new gpu

I used to flip every generation mainly but that was back in the days when a new card offered either vastly superior performance (8800GTX, ATI1950x) or just incredible bang for buck (8800GT - i can remember selling my older slower card for £145 a couple of weeks before this landed and then buying the better performing 8800GT for £119) or when they did rebadged higher performance cards which you could unlock (I bought two GTX465 which were really GTX475 cards with a GTX465 bios and once you flashed them they were fully working GTX475)

It is only in recent years that I have gone to skipping a generation and only upgrading every other one. To upgrade now for £1000+ just to get 20% more performance each time just doesnt seem worth it

(Before anybody comments on my sig that I am running two 2080ti, i got them at half price so why not ;))

Caporegime
SLI is waste of time. How about I relieve you of one card for half the price you paid, then I can say I got a 2080Ti for quarter of the price, so why not :p:D

good try but I would agree with you SLI is a waste of time. But when i bought them they came together with pc and hence I had no choice. With hindsight I should have sold one of them off a year ago.

Associate
I think all the data in the chart is a legit as the rest of it - it's just speculation.

I agree, the information shown is all rumour, leaks and conjecture. It's about how it's being portrayed as a Videocardz graphic.

I think Videocardz is a pretty reputable site (compared to say Wccftech :p). Their recent 3000 roundup of leaks and rumours (posted here) didn't mention pricing (and still doesn't).

As I said previously, to me the picture looks odd. The pricing info is in a different font and isn't aligned with the other info. On my screen the white is brighter as well.
It looks very amateurish compared to the usual Videocardz graphics.

Clearly the portrayed pricing is going to be a big talking point.

@humbug sauce :D

Caporegime
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-rtx-3050-ga106-ga107-ampere-gaming-gpu-specs-rumor/

NVIDIA's Ampere Gaming GPU rumors are heating up and the latest details we've today are for the mainstream GeForce RTX 3060 series. Replacing the GeForce RTX 2060, the NVIDIA RTX 3060 series will be positioned in the mainstream segment with pricing around $300 to $400 US which is pretty much what the existing lineup costs, however, these cards are positioned in a heated segment with AMD also actively working on replacing its mainstream lineup soon.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Series Mainstream Graphics Cards To Feature GA106 GPU Core, Will Hit Retail Around $300-$400 US - GA107 Entry-Tier Ampere Gaming GPU Taped Out Too
The latest rumors are once again being tweeted out by Kopite7kimi who has revealed that NVIDIA has taped out two new GPUs in the past few weeks. These include the Ampere GA106 and GA107. Both GPUs are based on the Ampere graphics architecture and focused on the consumer segment which includes entry and mainstream graphics cards.

Caporegime
OP
I agree, the information shown is all rumour, leaks and conjecture. It's about how it's being portrayed as a Videocardz graphic.

I think Videocardz is a pretty reputable site (compared to say Wccftech :p). Their recent 3000 roundup of leaks and rumours (posted here) didn't mention pricing (and still doesn't).

As I said previously, to me the picture looks odd. The pricing info is in a different font and isn't aligned with the other info. On my screen the white is brighter as well.
It looks very amateurish compared to the usual Videocardz graphics.

Clearly the portrayed pricing is going to be a big talking point.

@humbug sauce :D

:D

Soldato
I had to dig this out. I thought I had mentioned it in the past
' NV could in the next few years have a higher market cap than either'.
That was in reply to someone stating AMD and Intel could put NV out of business :). Cant believe that was 2018 -wow. Time goes so fast

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32083132

Read recently that NV had signed a deal with BMW to automate more factory processes. Also signed a deal with Mercedes. Expanding into more areas

Anyway, are we there yet? Common NV, get the new GPU's out. Not that I'm gaming much atm

Last edited:
Soldato
^^^ Stunning and brave rumours there from WCCF that there will be equivalent cards to the current generation at a similar price and the GPU naming will incrementally change depending on the SKU. Amazing insight.

Back
Top Bottom