Gaming laptop decisions are blowing my mind

Associate
Do you wait, do you buy a gaming laptop, its a minefield as to what to buy. I've got a budget of around £1300 but will push to 1400 if I have to.

Few questions I have:
What 8 core CPU is there in a laptop if any? I have a quad core pc that gets Beasted by 2020 games. In turn this makes me think 6 core might be a waste of time i7 9750..

16g RAM.

2060 /70 card

Ssd storage, more the better.

I have looked at loads online, I even popped to curry's earlier but its so tough to make a decision. Also eveyone moans about overheating so what's the options here?
I have seem pads with fans that act as extra cooling, are they worth looking at?

Im looking at a 15 inch monitor laptop.

Based on above what would you say my top 2 option would be, seriously at a loss here, so undecided..

Man of Honour
I wouldn't buy less than 6 cores now personally - 4 cores even with hyper-threading is one leg in the past.

I'd bias towards a better GPU over a better CPU though within reason as the GPU is what is going to get old faster than anything else - the 3610QM in my 2013 laptop still holds up pretty well but the GPU is long since past it for modern games really.

Soldato
For that price range, I would say you are looking at a 2060 with the new AMD 4800H or an Intel 10th gen processor.
There were MSI laptops at £999 with a 6 core Intel and 2060 GPU for sale elsewhere. (GF65 thin model).

I've just placed an order for a 17.3" 4800H and a 2060 refresh max-p GPU which is claimed to be better than a 2070 MaxQ but I'm unsure on that. I'm hoping it will last me the next 3-5 years at a push.

Associate
For that price range, I would say you are looking at a 2060 with the new AMD 4800H or an Intel 10th gen processor.
There were MSI laptops at £999 with a 6 core Intel and 2060 GPU for sale elsewhere. (GF65 thin model).

I've just placed an order for a 17.3" 4800H and a 2060 refresh max-p GPU which is claimed to be better than a 2070 MaxQ but I'm unsure on that. I'm hoping it will last me the next 3-5 years at a push.

Don't think any gaming laptop will last 3 to 5 years, be lucky to last 2 years with regular use before a terminal failure.

Going to get an Amd gaming laptop sometime this year was going to spend over £2000 but that's a waste of money they don't last long and come with useless warranties and rip off service centres, every make / model of laptop is just as bad as each other.

And whats with these stupid 95c to 100c+ gaming laptops crazy, might just buy a new S7 Samsung android tablet they last years still have a S2 Samsung tablet that use everyday.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't think any gaming laptop will last 3 to 5 years, be lucky to last 2 years with regular use before a terminal failure.

Going to get an Amd gaming laptop sometime this year was going to spend over £2000 but that's a waste of money they don't last long and come with useless warranties and rip off service centres, every make / model of laptop is just as bad as each other.

I guess we shall see soon enough.
Your comment rings true on my previous Asus, it lasted 6 months before it bit the bullet!

I've ordered a 17.3" AMD laptop with a 2060 max-p. Hopefully it lasts. The 15.6" version seems to have good thermals so hopefully this will ring true for the larger one.

Associate
I guess we shall see soon enough.
Your comment rings true on my previous Asus, it lasted 6 months before it bit the bullet!

I've ordered a 17.3" AMD laptop with a 2060 max-p. Hopefully it lasts. The 15.6" version seems to have good thermals so hopefully this will ring true for the larger one.

Yes should be more cooling space in the 17.3 inch, Im waiting for the Amd Ryzen 7 Legion 5 15.6" 144 hz with RTX 2060 16GB ram or something similar.

Soldato
Which laptop did you go for?

XMG Core 17.
It worked out quite well as didn't require any storage drives or windows install. Buying it from elsewhere also gave 2 year warranty as standard and signing up to their newsletter gave me 50Eur off.
Cost was £1,138 all in including bigger battery upgrade.

Associate
XMG Core 17.
It worked out quite well as didn't require any storage drives or windows install. Buying it from elsewhere also gave 2 year warranty as standard and signing up to their newsletter gave me 50Eur off.
Cost was £1,138 all in including bigger battery upgrade.
I've been considering g doing the same thing as I have some spares lying about too. How would you rate the laptop? I cant find any reviews, I dont suppose you've managed to find any?

Soldato
I've been considering g doing the same thing as I have some spares lying about too. How would you rate the laptop? I cant find any reviews, I dont suppose you've managed to find any?

It isn't released yet. It is identical to the Eluktronics RP-17 but I've yet to see a review on that too.
The 2060 is advertised as a 115W part but I believe it has a hardware mod to boost it past that.

There is a review on the Eluktronics RP-15 which as you may guess, Is the 15.6" chassis with the same gear inside.

Back
Top Bottom