ASROCK X570 TaiChi - post code 4d. No post. Awesome OC support

Associate
Thanks to Overclockers for a totally no fuss, no nonsense RMA procedure under lockdown.

Turned on the PC this morning. It started up, but did not give signs of usual procedures, monitors, USB etc. I restarted. Nothing. Pushed the side panel off my case. Checked the code on the LCD display. "4d".

Started what I thought was a fairly sensible series of testing, unplugging power and waiting for board to discharge.

1) Unplugged all USB and monitors. - result 4d

2) Unplugged power, reset CMOS - result 4d

3) Took out one RAM stick - result 4d

4) Swapped the RAM stick to B2 socket - result 4d

5) Swapped in the other RAM stick to A1 - result - went in to a auto restart cycle.

6) placed the single RAM stick in to B2 - result 4d

7) placed a stick of Corsair Dominator 2400 1*8GB in to A1 (this RAM known to be working on another system)

Spec -
CPU: 3900x
MOBO: MSI X570 TaiChi.
Ram: 2*16gb Viper Gaming Steel 3200mhz
Graphics: Zotac 1080ti AE
Power supply: Seasonic

System has been stable since install in September 2019.

Apparently, 4d that's a "4D - OEM post memory initialization codes" issue. Further searches suggest from other's experience that there is some possibility with a CPU issue.

OCuk suggested that its either the memory controller on the CPU or the motherboard itself. Should be an easy test because it's not posting. OCuk requested that it gets boxed up with CPU in-situ. Support booked in a DPD pickup return tomorrow arriving Wednesday with OCuk.

adding to forum here in case it's useful for anyone in the future searching the 4d post code from Dr Debug's BIOS codes, and also to say thanks to OCuk for a hassle free set up of an RMA.

Will post any updates if it adds anything which could help future searches with similar issues to the above.

Associate
OP
CPU is fine and is being returned. OCuk have sent off the mainboard back to ASRock for repair or replacement, so I'm SooL for the foreseeable future. I'm now in the hands of ASRock's repair centre, which I'd be surprised to learn is in the UK somewhere or otherwise with a reputation for a speedy turnaround. We'll find out soon (or not)....

AsRock support responded to a ticket I raised on the same day I contacted OCuk. ASRock got back to me yesterday with:

"Please use the ClearCMOS jumper to reset the CMOS

- Switch off Power first

- Press power button to discharge

- put a jumper cap on the clrCMOS jumper. You can also use a metal object to connect the 2 pins.

- Wait around 10 seconds

- Remove the jumper cap

- Switch on power and start the system. The system might restart automatically a few times. Please give it a minute.

if this does not help then please remove the 1080ti and test again".

I don't know if that would have made any difference. I assume that OCuk tested the mobo and would have gone through all of that to avoid the hassle of returning it to ASRock. I guess it's just a duff mainboard. I posted the above for anyone searching for help on the forums in the future. Save waiting a few days for ASRock to respond via their online web ticket system.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
More than two weeks on.

ASRock don't have the board in their pipeline anywhere.

Hopefully it's still accounted for, sitting somewhere in the UK, waiting shipment.

Associate
:eek: I have always wanted a taichi and have been trying to decide between the x570 and b550 but after reading this and other comments about problems with them, I think im going to look at something else instead

Associate
OP
Currently, the board is unaccounted for by anyone I have contact with from either ASRock or OverclockersUK. Hopefully it's in transit somewhere.

Associate
OP
Board finally received by ASRock Monday 29th June. They found a fault. They should have (by now) issued a replacement which will go back through the supply chain which will take as long as it takes. So now it's a case of following OverclockersUK advice of playing the waiting game.

Really frustrating. This started on June 1st. It's now the 2nd of July. I've been without my PC for over a month. I'm using old parts as a backup. And I've no idea how long it will take until I have a working ASRock TaiChi x570 board and the CPU and RAM sitting waiting as my main PC.

Overclockers and ASRock have been responsive and answered questions, which I'm grateful for, but the lack of detail of knowing where, when and how long the process and each of the stages take is a far cry from the slick start of the RMa process, or indeed the initial sales experience.

I don't know how this compares directly with others' experiences of RMA with OverclockersUK or ASRock, but it's far from the best, and better than the worst, of my RMAs elsewhere.

Caporegime
Board finally received by ASRock Monday 29th June. They found a fault. They should have (by now) issued a replacement which will go back through the supply chain which will take as long as it takes. So now it's a case of following OverclockersUK advice of playing the waiting game.

Really frustrating. This started on June 1st. It's now the 2nd of July. I've been without my PC for over a month. I'm using old parts as a backup. And I've no idea how long it will take until I have a working ASRock TaiChi x570 board and the CPU and RAM sitting waiting as my main PC.

Overclockers and ASRock have been responsive and answered questions, which I'm grateful for, but the lack of detail of knowing where, when and how long the process and each of the stages take is a far cry from the slick start of the RMa process, or indeed the initial sales experience.

I don't know how this compares directly with others' experiences of RMA with OverclockersUK or ASRock, but it's far from the best, and better than the worst, of my RMAs elsewhere.
One of the benefits of the rainforest, they'll just send you a replacement out straight away, or at worst give you a refund once its received back and you can just buy a new one.

Associate
I always wanted a taichi and plan to upgrade my b350, after reading this and a few other threads about taichi issues I think I will look at alternatives

Associate
OP
Is this a saga yet?

DPD contacted me last night to say that delivery of the replacement part would be today (7th July). Tracking the parcel ID on the DPD app says on the parcel hasn't received the parcel yet from OverclockersUK.

my guess is either someone has half-inched it, or it's caught up somewhere else.

Either way, I'm looking forward to not having to think about this any more.

Associate
OP
Received. Finally. 38 days from the initial logging of the RMA to getting a replacement back in my hands. Will install asap.

Why is the process so slow?

Associate
So.... I made an account just to post this here lol, I got a 2tb 970evo plus NVMe card for more and faster memory, turns out my Fatality mobo does not support so I went to my local microcenter to get the same mobo I got my friend, a B450 Steel legend, I went in and quickly grabbed "it" and hooked it all up when I got home only to get a 4d error code. Nothing in the book about it, looked online and found only this and one more thread and thought hmm bad mobo? so I returned it the same day and found out I actually got the B550 SL. I traded it in for another one because I like the board with the debugger codes and the 450 does not, and same thing 4d.... welp I guess dont buy this board either?? :( hooked up my old mobo and works just fine, gonna return and hopefully find a good alternative...

Back
Top Bottom