LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
I added the burn in protection for my 65CX just for peace of mind. I don't usually buy extended warranties, but when the TV is so expensive and the burn in protection is a small % of the overall cost, I think it makes sense.

Shame that the burn in protection for these 48CX's when they hit JL may well be around the same price as it was on the 65" one. Guess we'll see when JL start selling them.

I should hopefully not need to use it, but if I do then I'll take a copy of the policy docs and fight over it if needed, but I think seeing as it's written that screen burn is covered they will struggle to challenge me on it.

Soldato
Great news! My CX48 auto updated it's firmware to 3.10.20 today. This update added Freesync Premium support!

So far it's working great and is a lovely addition. Glad this has been added, and now feel much more comfortable in getting AMD's big navi next gen GPU, should it be better value for money over NV's 3000 series.

EDIT > 4K 60hz with Freesync is absolutely fantastic! This has seemingly further increased the response time/decreased the input lag. Much smoother experience in the games that were struggling at 4k, I'm well happy!

Thumbs up AMD/LG, that was a faster than expected update.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are any of you with this 'heavy' users? I tend to play games for a few hours 3-4 most weekday evenings, and most of the day on weekends. If i were to use this for work too (programming) then it would conceivably be on for 12-16 hours a day. I'm still a little concerned about burn in due to this, but it really does look like a great monitor and it's getting harder to refrain :)

Soldato
Are any of you with this 'heavy' users? I tend to play games for a few hours 3-4 most weekday evenings, and most of the day on weekends. If i were to use this for work too (programming) then it would conceivably be on for 12-16 hours a day. I'm still a little concerned about burn in due to this, but it really does look like a great monitor and it's getting harder to refrain :)

8 hours of day of static work production windows for programming isn't a great idea for OLED. It's probably doable if you're able to make the static elements not fully saturated colours, or enable a 'dark mode'. Decreasing brightness would also help (turning on logo protection to max as well).

Far better to use a LCD for work, then whip out the beast OLED for gaming/movies/youtube etc :)

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Some other tips for desktop users I read around the net:

-solid colour desktop to black
-dark mode (under personalize>colours, apply with task bar and title bars
-task bar to auto hide
-desktop icons to hide or in task bar
-screen saver to every 10 minutes of inactivity

Basically a black desktop!

Set the LG feature logo luminance to highest, although I read a cnn review saying it doesn't do much actually! and also where possible on TV channels zoom in to avoid channel logos or even status bars on the bottom or top or sides of screen.

Bright Red and Yellow colours from what I have read are the worst oled offenders, something to bear in mind when watching Superman and Iron man, batmans fine however ;)

Other known troublemakers are bright red logos ie BBC news and Sky, CNN, youtube app..... they have all been well known on 2016-2018 oled panels to cause burn in issues (for the few), course the newer oleds from 2019+ and cx are meant to be greatly improved and have logo luminance feature.

There are some redditors that reckon burn in is very hard to do and many are already just gaming non-stop on their cx lgs, some have however done the above tweaks.

If you can go with JL policy naturally.

Soldato
8 hours of day of static work production windows for programming isn't a great idea for OLED. It's probably doable if you're able to make the static elements not fully saturated colours, or enable a 'dark mode'. Decreasing brightness would also help (turning on logo protection to max as well).

Far better to use a LCD for work, then whip out the beast OLED for gaming/movies/youtube etc :)

Aye but even if I don't use it for work it could be a good 8+ hours a day on a weekend when the new wow expansion hits etc. That's the concern

Soldato
Aye but even if I don't use it for work it could be a good 8+ hours a day on a weekend when the new wow expansion hits etc. That's the concern

I play lots of wow on mine - helps if you have ElvUI as it has a 'screensaver' afk mode, where your camera rotates around your character, great for if waiting for a spawn or if you actually go afk. Aside from that, lowering the saturation on UI elements, increasing transparency are all good options.

The Rtings review shows the Call of duty game is yet to burn in after 9000 hours, that has comparable UI elements to my UI setup in wow, so I'm not at all concerned. That was on the older cheaper C9/B9 panels, the CX have much better logo burn in technology, as well as a newer panel, so will be even less of an issue.

Soldato
People shouldn't be worrying about burn-in from games with this. It's really not a concern. Constant desktop use with the same apps running 10+ hours a day however... that would be more of a worry for sure.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Still trying to decide QLED or OLED, it does feel tiresome to baby sit oleds when you know you could have a QLED and just have a TV screen being a tv screen. It's a shame LG will almost flat out deny burn in as a fault leaving the most expensive paper weight in your home even when they claim their features take care of the problem.

But yeah no denying OLED the better PQ.

Cnet review said LGs logo luminance dimmer does not work very well here:
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/oled-screen-burn-in-what-you-need-to-know-now/

Hopefully daily pixel refresher and screen shift are enough to keep burn in away.

Soldato
Still trying to decide QLED or OLED, it does feel tiresome to baby sit oleds when you know you could have a QLED and just have a TV screen being a tv screen. It's a shame LG will almost flat out deny burn in as a fault leaving the most expensive paper weight in your home even when they claim their features take care of the problem.

Hopefully daily pixel refresher and screen shift are enough to keep burn in away.

after owning an OLED (55”c9) for 8 months I couldn’t move to anything else currently on the market. The picture quality is simply incredible.

Soldato
Great news! My CX48 auto updated it's firmware to 3.10.20 today. This update added Freesync Premium support!

This is interesting, maybe I'd be better pairing this with my Vega64 as opposed to my 1080ti? At least until new gen comes out?

My screen arrives on Saturday and I'm just getting some prep work organised; would someone be able to list a comprehensive set up guide? It would be handy to have something in the OP.

Soldato

I have the TV in front of me, and can confirm that logo's get noticeably dimmer when the logo setting is enabled. Perhaps the review was using a older firmware?

I think it's worth acknowledging that there is no perfect monitor, all have their own issues. All I can say is that no monitor comes close to the picture quality, and production quality of these screens.

Back
Top Bottom