• Excellent Low-Light Performance
  • ISO range comes in at 100-102400
  • ISO can be expanded to 50-204,800
  • Stunning 4K 60p Video Recording
  • Canon’s first In-Body Image Stabiliser
  • 8-Stop Sensor-Shift Image Stabilisation
  • Canon’s Dual Pixel CMOS AF II System
  • Two Super-Fast UHS-II SD Card Slots

So anyone still interested in Canon or everyone jumped ship to Sony?

I'm personally interested in the R6 as a nice replacement for the 7dii. I'll miss the cropped sensor (wildlife) however it's got the same processor and animal AF as the 1dx-iii.

Caporegime
Besides it is too expensive for my to switch back....

Spec wise, I know CFExpress is faster but man.....its also expensive! Guess it goes hand in hand with the camera price. I much prefer Dual UHS-II cards in the R6 for a balance between performance and cost but then I know people would complaint.

The R6 looks to be the one I would be interested in for wedding work but 21mp is a bit low in today's climate. 24/25 is where the sweet spot is, 40+ for landscapes.

But it's all talk from me since it's too cost prohibitive to switch back.

Soldato
Canon starting to catch up with Sony but those prices are too high. For me the R6 doesn’t offer anything over my A7 III, which was a lot cheaper.

Soldato
OP
Canon starting to catch up with Sony but those prices are too high. For me the R6 doesn’t offer anything over my A7 III, which was a lot cheaper.

You could argue the range of glass (also a lot cheaper) could make up the difference.

Soldato
You could argue the range of glass (also a lot cheaper) could make up the difference.
That depends if you want the new RF lenses or are happy to convert the older EF lenses. I’m using the Sony 55, 85 and 135 F1.8’s and there is no new equivalent in the Canon line up. Unless you spend over £4k on the new RF 50 and 85, which are faster aperture but .....that price.

Soldato
Just watched Peter McKinnon’s review of the R5, 13 minutes of brown nosing Canon but you come to expect that with him being an ambassador for Canon.

He’s said it’s the biggest camera release of the decade.

So take it with a tonne of salt if you buy based off his review.

Caporegime
Just watched Peter McKinnon’s review of the R5, 13 minutes of brown nosing Canon but you come to expect that with him being an ambassador for Canon.

Its the most important camera Canon has released in a decade for sure but not the biggest.

Soldato

I watched that too and came away with the same thoughts as you. He touched on the 8k and 4k 120 video overheating and recording time limits but determined that it wasn’t a big issue.

My viewpoint on this is that the camera is priced and spec’d as a pro level body but as a professional you wouldn’t be able to use those features with confidence that you could finish your project. There are many limitations, requirements and cost impacts that I wonder if Canon jumped on 8k too early, to hype up the product and haven’t been able to implement it effectively, that any of it useable.

Canon continue to build the hype by only providing a selected group of influencers with the camera but not allowing them to show any full size images because it’s a ‘pre-production’ version. This effectively gives them a few weeks where people can pre-order it based off very biased information.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If there is a hint of overheating, no pro is going it rely on it on a job. You can’t ask the priest to hold for 20mins for your camera to cool down or pause a shoot, time is money.

it sounds like a non-issue to a hobbyist and that’s to a hobbyist. PM isn’t a hobbyist and that comment he made screams at him just touching in it just to say he said something but not enough to pee off Canon.

Soldato
OP
I think Tony and Chelsea covered it quite well.

For amateurs I think the R6 is appealing. It's got pretty much the same sensor and AF processing as the 1dxiii but a 3rd if the price!

Soldato
Such a gimmick camera from a videographer perspective.

As someone that has a stack of CF cards for my c200 costing close to £2000, I wish everyone well trying to record in 8k only to find out how absurd CF standard card prices are. (No way your going to be able to record 8k to normal cards, given 4k 12 bit raw light can only go on a cf card in the c200)

Also overheating... this thing is going to get HOT with no proper fan system in place.

Its a shame Canon decided to focus on headlines rather than real issues like budget RF lenses, or getting the EF convertor thinner since there's no way it needs to be that big and on an R it makes using EF lenses pretty cumbersome.

Associate
I wonder if Canon jumped on 8k too early, to hype up the product and haven’t been able to implement it effectively, that any of it useable.

*cough* RTX *cough* :rolleyes:

It does seem a bit of a gimmick at this stage ... whilst maybe an interesting technical feat, where is the mainstream client of 8K at the moment ... or even in the near future ? I just dont see it. For the vast majority average person ... full HD is still fine to watch. 4K TV's may be the norm, but the content for that TV (for the majority) is far from being 4K let alone 8K.

So that leaves 8K clients limited to more professional areas ... where you would use all out 8K dedicated gear which would not overheat. Making the R5 8K feature a gimmick like you say.

Its a shame Canon decided to focus on headlines rather than real issues like budget RF lenses, or getting the EF convertor thinner since there's no way it needs to be that big and on an R it makes using EF lenses pretty cumbersome.

The lack of budget RF lenses is one of the big detractors of me wanting to jump from an 80D into the R-body RF lens family.

Regarding the depth of the adapter, I'm not sure if it could be narrower. All the EF lenses are designed to bring the light into focus a certain distance from the mount. Moving that same lens closer to the sensor, whilst physically possible, would make lens become out of focus. That distance is set and unchangeable.

Soldato
Have been quietly watching the R5.

Way too much money. I will wait it out 18 months and see what price we are at then. I could sell my 5D3 and 5DIV, but no. I have a feeling sooner or later I will convert my 5D3 for astro.

Caporegime
The R6 doesn't look too shabby, just need good third party support for the lenses.

Speaking of balls to the walls specs - just come across the Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 12K. A 12K camera for $10k and it seems to better a number of limitations of the Red cameras. Linus has just bought 6 of them :p.

Back
Top Bottom