Amazon made a mistake (was: Screwed by amazon!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
OP
Whilst I agree to an extent - the flipside has got to be that if money is that tight why order a £600 phone in the first place? (Why wouldn't a £100 phone be sufficient etc.)
Who said money was tight? They took money for an item which was returned to them and they have acknowledged they shouldn't have taken the money in the first place!

Soldato
The question the OP is deliberately avoiding is if you had kept the phone how would you have paid these bills or did you realise you've spent too much and thus returned the phone costing Amazon money as they now have a returned item they cannot sell for full price?

Agreed they shouldn't have taken the money out a 2nd time but as previously mentioned by several posters they didn't screw you that implies they purposefully took the money to leave you in this position

Soldato
Funnily enough I have £600 in my account that I cannot use here.
If you give me just a £50 transaction fee I can transfer it to you today and I only need your bank account details and sort code!
20972.jpg

Soldato
Why is it relevant if the guy kept the phone or not? He may have returned his £600 phone and bought a different £16,000 phone - there's no way you know whether or not he can afford things or not.

Why can't he move money from his savings? Maybe his savings are in a notice account which can't be touched? Why is it any of your business how he manages his finances?

As mentioned earlier, Amazon took money from his account in error - Amazon are at fault here.

Soldato
So I bought something on amazon, returned it and today they charged me the full £600 for the item. I got on chat and was told they have refunded the money but it could take about 4 to 7 days to show in my account. Now I have 2 direct debits for my credit card companies going out tonight, what do I do? Would the bank be able to stop the payment as it still shows as pending? I bank with nationwide if it helps.

If it's going to put you into overdraft etc. tonight, then I suggest the best course of action is to phone your bank now and explain to them Amazon have mischarged you, it's not your fault and can they do anything to permit a temporary overdraft without fees?

Soldato
Why is it relevant if the guy kept the phone or not? He may have returned his £600 phone and bought a different £16,000 phone - there's no way you know whether or not he can afford things or not.

Why can't he move money from his savings? Maybe his savings are in a notice account which can't be touched? Why is it any of your business how he manages his finances?

As mentioned earlier, Amazon took money from his account in error - Amazon are at fault here.

It's relevant because based on the information he provided, it's clear he's not very sensible when he comes to his finances.

Had he kept the phone, he would still have £600 less in his account and therefore not enough money to cover his financial commitments.

Why would a long term savings account where you're not allowed to withdraw, absolve him of responsibility? He would have known his savings aren't available and therefore he should take more responsibility of his current account.

Yes, Amazon are at fault but that's not the issue. Replace Amazon with a multitude of other scenarios where living hand to mouth will catch you out, and the result will be the same. What if tomorrow he wakes up and no longer has a job because of redundancy? Sensible people ensure they have multiple month's worth of easy access savings available to cover such times.

Oh and before you undoubtedly chime in with "not everyone is so fortunate", do remember we're talking about someone buying a £600 phone.

Soldato
None of that has relevance to his question of "what should I do?" now he's in the situation, only to OcUKs desire to let him know how stupid he is to get in the situation to start with.

If you put details into a public place then you have to expect other people will share their opinions.

What should he do? Borrow from a friend which can instantly be paid back when Amazon sort out their error. Alternatively he can speak to his bank for a short term overdraft after explaining the situation.

I also gave sound advice. It's clear as day to anybody, based on the info he gave, he shouldn't have purchased a phone that would leave him at a bank balance that wouldn't cover his direct debits (i.e. financial commitments he has signed up to cover). It's often the case with people who get into financial difficulty that they choose to bury their head in the sand and blame anyone but themselves.

Soldato
It's not the OPs fault if Amazon charged him twice for the same item. His ability, or lack of, to manage finances has nothing to do with that. And you lot sit there and tell him he should budget better? What, are we all supposed to plan to be mischarged 600 quid every month? give it a rest. Whatever the op did with the funds between the refund for the returned phone and Amazon's second (wrongful) charge has absolutely nothing to do with this or any of you.

@marvi0, get on the phone to Amazon, explain the situation and ask them how they are going to fix this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom