LG OLED C9 as a PC monitor - Yes, I'm crazy, Yes time to get some burn in.

Caporegime
Been saying about how good 60HZ OLED is for years now :p

Still much prefer it to my 144HZ IPS, even for gaming, oleds motion clarity is still far better handled and best of all..... With these 144HZ LCD screens, to be getting really good motion clarity, you have to also be pushing the FPS to 100+ FPS, where as with OLED and its handling of motion, motion clarity still looks fantastic at all FPS ranges.

60HZ LCD whilst not the best, it's not as bad as people make it out to be imo, at least if you get a good responsive low input lag one.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
60HZ LCD whilst not the best, it's not as bad as people make it out to be imo, at least if you get a good responsive low input lag one.
Yep. Each to their own, but I have an OLED and am still content playing games on my 60Hz 4K monitor. Playing Fallout 3 again and honestly I do not think it would make much difference to the level of my enjoyment if it was on a 240Hz or OLED screen. It is an old game :)

I feel new games, especially one's that make good use of HDR really help highlight how much better OLED is :D

This is my 2nd playthough of Fallout 3, feels nice as it has been over a decade I played it. I still remember some things, but really enjoying it, certainly a lot more than I did Fallout 4 which was a bit of a let down relative to it.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I just hope mine doesn’t have that Gsync issue when it turns up tomorrow.

Damn thing is too big to keep having to swap it out for a replacement!

Associate
I just hope mine doesn’t have that Gsync issue when it turns up tomorrow.

Damn thing is too big to keep having to swap it out for a replacement!

Yeah it's a pain. Really visible in dark areas,near black. If you have the game - Blair Witch, it's painfully clear, when you get into the woods at night!
Please report back if you can see this crap, are you kind :)

Soldato
Yeah it's a pain. Really visible in dark areas,near black. If you have the game - Blair Witch, it's painfully clear, when you get into the woods at night!

Just played through Dead Space 2 and 3 (epic on an OLED) with loads of dark/pitch areas and not noticed this issue. Driver issue? Which ones are you currently running and which winver?

HRL

HRL

Soldato

Only managed to enable GSync and test it with AC Odyssey last night. Thought I'd give it a quick go to see if I noticed any immediate differences. Three hours later all I'd noticed was how much smoother the game played and that I needed to get up for work in 4 hours!

So far so good, tiredness aside. However, I'll be starting SW Fallen Order tonight, which should be a better test.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
You'd be a braver man than me. I only bought mine because I could get the screen burn protection cover with it from John Lewis.

The 55" CX from JL is £1700.

Associate
Just played through Dead Space 2 and 3 (epic on an OLED) with loads of dark/pitch areas and not noticed this issue. Driver issue? Which ones are you currently running and which winver?

Sound great, then maybe you are free of this issue. I noticed that it's only visable when the GPU is taxed. When lowered settings so that the GPU load was lower = no flashing. Strange this crap I say :/
It doesetn matter what driver version for me. And I allways go for the latest drivers, as one should. But tested older onces to, on the C9 I did sent back!

Only managed to enable GSync and test it with AC Odyssey last night. Thought I'd give it a quick go to see if I noticed any immediate differences. Three hours later all I'd noticed was how much smoother the game played and that I needed to get up for work in 4 hours!

So far so good, tiredness aside. However, I'll be starting SW Fallen Order tonight, which should be a better test.

Thats great to hear buddy. Hope you will be free of this issue :)

Btw, now on this C9, I have the Oval shaped bug. I dident see it on the other one. This crap have to end ..LOL!
Getting fed up of all these issues. Maybe I just send this one back and get a CX insteed and hope for the better!

Soldato
Sound great, then maybe you are free of this issue. I noticed that it's only visable when the GPU is taxed. When lowered settings so that the GPU load was lower = no flashing. Strange this crap I say :/
It doesetn matter what driver version for me. And I allways go for the latest drivers, as one should. But tested older onces to, on the C9 I did sent back!

Thats great to hear buddy. Hope you will be free of this issue :)

Btw, now on this C9, I have the Oval shaped bug. I dident see it on the other one. This crap have to end ..LOL!
Getting fed up of all these issues. Maybe I just send this one back and get a CX insteed and hope for the better!
That oval is visible on all of them when a specific setting is turned on, it's part of how the processor in the C9 works. I'm uncertain of which setting disables it.

The gsync black screen blink every 2-3 minutes is a bug in the software and is resolved by turning off the WiFi totally on the TV.

Associate
That oval is visible on all of them when a specific setting is turned on, it's part of how the processor in the C9 works. I'm uncertain of which setting disables it.

The gsync black screen blink every 2-3 minutes is a bug in the software and is resolved by turning off the WiFi totally on the TV.

Strange that I dident see it on the other C9, and in the same spot. Maybe I just dident noticed it tho. But I have seen ppl saying the issue was fixed for them - via new FW. But not here then :/

Nope it's not that kind of issue with g-sync. It's a pulsating flash near black - as I said!
Oh and I tried it all on the other C9. Disabled cookies and wifi. Nothing helped. But thanks annyway mate for the sugestions :)

Soldato
Strange that I dident see it on the other C9, and in the same spot. Maybe I just dident noticed it tho. But I have seen ppl saying the issue was fixed for them - via new FW. But not here then :/

Nope it's not that kind of issue with g-sync. It's a pulsating flash near black - as I said!
Oh and I tried it all on the other C9. Disabled cookies and wifi. Nothing helped. But thanks annyway mate for the sugestions :)

Ah worth a try hey. The WiFi thing is infuriating but I prefer good gsync. The black circle doesn't show on my current settings but now you mention it firmware could have eliminated it. I might try WiFi again on the new firmware.

Associate
Ah worth a try hey. The WiFi thing is infuriating but I prefer good gsync. The black circle doesn't show on my current settings but now you mention it firmware could have eliminated it. I might try WiFi again on the new firmware.

Yeah we have to be the detectives here, and that seems to go for anything gaming. The new Samsung G7, seems to have it issues to. Crazy really :/
Was thinking about sending back my C9 and just get that new G7. First VA monitor without smearing, thats insane and I never thought it would happen. To bad the g-sync range is from 80 fps and up (really terrible IMO). Atleast on these OLED's, it's from 40 fps and up. Of course I dont like to drop that low but atleast it's there :)

Nice to hear you seems free of that Oval thingy. Not that I noticed it as much in gaming. But nice to be free of it annyway. If I could just be free of that flashing I would be happy. Well or I just cave in and get an CX when BF hits, and try out that Samsung 32 inch G7 first. But then there's that crazy curvatur. Why cant we just a damn Tv/monitor without issues. Ahh it is what it is say :)

Associate
I have a alienware laptop with a OLED screen. It is great. at 98ppi the text looks great. I have no burn in. I use it only for coding...not gaming.

I am thinking about getting the LG 48" oled for my PC. It would be for coding web applications on linux os, never gaming.

I calculated it to be about 92ppi. Would text look as crisp and as good as my oled laptop?

The TV would be sitting on my desk and I guess I would be about 23 inches away from it. It has to be on my desk, not a wall because my desk rises up and down.

Also, would me not being able to adjust the stand/angles like a monitor be a issue?

I am not concerned about burn in. My OLED laptop has done well with static images.

@aoaaron, are you currently using any of your oled tv's on your PC? Or are you still using your Samsung CRG9?

Soldato
OP
I am us
I have a alienware laptop with a OLED screen. It is great. at 98ppi the text looks great. I have no burn in. I use it only for coding...not gaming.

I am thinking about getting the LG 48" oled for my PC. It would be for coding web applications on linux os, never gaming.

I calculated it to be about 92ppi. Would text look as crisp and as good as my oled laptop?

The TV would be sitting on my desk and I guess I would be about 23 inches away from it. It has to be on my desk, not a wall because my desk rises up and down.

Also, would me not being able to adjust the stand/angles like a monitor be a issue?

I am not concerned about burn in. My OLED laptop has done well with static images.

@aoaaron, are you currently using any of your oled tv's on your PC? Or are you still using your Samsung CRG9?

Crg9 is gone.
My end game panel of choice for pc gaming is a 77 inch LG CX oled :)

Back
Top Bottom