Mot on a used car

Soldato
I'm supposed to collect a car tomorrow that I paid a deposit on. I just checked the mot length on gov website and it expires in September. The car isn't 3 years old yet. I've given the dealer £600, what would you do?

Soldato
OP
Is that when it is due it's first MOT? What is age according to registration?
Yes that's the first MOT, so it's 3 years old in September.

Less than 2 months MOT. Probably needs a service I guess, has 34,000 on the Odometer , so must have been serviced at 30,000

Last edited:
Don
You can have the first mot done up to 28days before it is due and maintain the MOT anniversary.

Presumably you could still have an MOT done early.

Either way better off giving the dealer a ring and see what they can offer

Soldato
Yes that's the first MOT, so it's 3 years old in September.

Less than 2 months MOT. Probably needs a service I guess, has 34,000 on the Odometer , so must have been serviced at 30,000

Must have been?

Did you not ask to see the service history before you put a deposit on the car?

I wouldn't assume anything 'must have' been done with a used car, even stuff advertised as FSH can have some sellers using 'interesting' definitions of what that means.

Soldato
I can just refuse to take it can't I?
Not sure as guess you signed some sort of contract?
Also guess you want the car?
So for the sake of what a mot costs would you want to lose the car?
Assuming you can get out of any contract you signed
I bought mine~ex demo~2 months before servicing was due
I negotiated a free service before handing over the deposit
Ideally you should have done that regarding first mot
Speak to the people you are buying it from no matter what we advise that's the only way you will know
If they expect future business from you they may well just agree to give you a free mot

Soldato
OP
The contract says the deposit will be forfeited, great!

It's used approved from a dealer if it makes any difference. How is it legal to sell a car with 50 days MOT?

I'm waiting for a callback anyway.

Soldato
The contract says the deposit will be forfeited, great!

It's used approved from a dealer of it makes any difference.

In all likelihood, the chances are it has been serviced properly and the MOT will be nothing more than a formality that'll cost you £40 in a few months time.

I wouldn't walk away from the car just because it'll need it's first MOT soon.

Soldato
OP
In all likelihood, the chances are it has been serviced properly and the MOT will be nothing more than a formality that'll cost you £40 in a few months time.

I wouldn't walk away from the car just because it'll need it's first MOT soon.

No I really need the vehicle. It's just disappointing, I expect more from a dealership.

Soldato
No I really need the vehicle. It's just disappointing, I expect more from a dealership.
Why is it disappointing?

They'll do what is needed to make the sale - if you don't ask you don't get. They made the sale without needing to offer to pay £40 for you in 3 months time.

If you'd said "Hmmm, it's tempting, cover the MOT cost and the first service and i'll sign on the dotted line" then you'd probably have both.

Soldato
OP
Why is it disappointing?

They'll do what is needed to make the sale - if you don't ask you don't get. They made the sale without needing to offer to pay £40 for you in 3 months time.

If you'd said "Hmmm, it's tempting, cover the MOT cost and the first service and i'll sign on the dotted line" then you'd probably have both.
I don't want to drive over there in less than 2 months, but then maybe I'll go elsewhere.

I actually bargained for an extended warranty, so I have 2 years. I just didn't think about the MOT, I never thought to check. Like you say only £40.

Back
Top Bottom