HP Reverb G2 uk release date?

Soldato
After some thought I've pre-ordered. I was in two minds having only just got a Quest, but my main use is sim racing so I think it'll be worth it. My only concern is will my system be able to drive it - got a 3700X/5700XT setup at the min but have best part of a grand in a next gen GFX fund, which I'm expecting to be used on some new card or other in order to get the full benefit of this HMD.

On the subject of the pre-order, anyone else do this? I chose the direct bank transfer option, but it's not given me any details to actually make the transfer. So I'm assuming they don't want the money until closer to release?

You should be able to get it working reasonably. As long as you can get to 45 fps you can enable Time Warp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9zOM7sP5Qo

It'll do a good enough job until the next gpu's are ready.

As for the visuals it blows the quest out of the water for sims. I have the original reverb.

Soldato
After some thought I've pre-ordered. I was in two minds having only just got a Quest, but my main use is sim racing so I think it'll be worth it.

I find the Quest and a 'proper' PC VR headset are complmentary (even when taking into consideration the Quest's PC link functionality).

I use my Index for sims, and games requiring high fidelity, and the Quest for roomscale games (as my Index is in a small room) and exercise games, where the lack of a tether and freedom to move around makes a huge difference.

Also the Quest can be used via PC to play the Oculus exclusives that aren't always playable on non-Oculus headsets.

Associate
I find the Quest and a 'proper' PC VR headset are complmentary (even when taking into consideration the Quest's PC link functionality).

I use my Index for sims, and games requiring high fidelity, and the Quest for roomscale games (as my Index is in a small room) and exercise games, where the lack of a tether and freedom to move around makes a huge difference.

Also the Quest can be used via PC to play the Oculus exclusives that aren't always playable on non-Oculus headsets.

Yeah that's my thinking, no plans to ditch the quest, it's great fun for Beat Sabre and that sort of thing. Definitely room for improvement when playing sims though. Really looking forward to this now, hoping we have some new GFX options not long after it arrives too so I can get the best out of it.

Soldato
On the subject of the pre-order, anyone else do this? I chose the direct bank transfer option, but it's not given me any details to actually make the transfer. So I'm assuming they don't want the money until closer to release?

Curious..... I've just had a look and it takes me to sagepay and then to enter card details.

Associate
Curious..... I've just had a look and it takes me to sagepay and then to enter card details.

I've had an email from them - apparently bank transfer shouldn't have been an option. So to keep my pre-order I have to choose another option and pay up - what I expected n the first place :)

Soldato
Ordered.

The short and simple is that this is the first hmd that stands up as a quality back up for the index. In many ways for my daily usage it has it's advantages, i look forward to checking out some of those.

Slightly hesitant about the wmr software and overheads. Id hope that with Microsoft badging their name to the product with it being sold as a mass consumer item in collaboration with Valve, that they'd push the boat out to gain maximum compatibility without the yank of bridging software and whatnot.

We shall see, looking forward to September.

Soldato
Well I’m still worried about going back to a wire after quest, but having just built a new sim rig and my birthday being end of September I have caved and pre-ordered. Just been listening to MRTV’s livestream Q&A and he pushed me off the fence lol.

I think the quest and this will be quite complimentary potentially.

Associate
Newbie here. I'm considering a Rift S or Reverb G2. I plan to use it for sim racing (AC, ACC, AMS2, RF2, RR). I'd also like to be able to access regular VR games which my teenage boys are excited for, Beat Sabre, Boneworks, Super Hot, etc. I have a 2070 Super - am I going to be able to run sims at 90fps with at the Reverb resolution or am I better off with a Rift S and 80 fps? Seems like a lot of pixels in the Reverb.

Soldato
Newbie here. I'm considering a Rift S or Reverb G2. I plan to use it for sim racing (AC, ACC, AMS2, RF2, RR). I'd also like to be able to access regular VR games which my teenage boys are excited for, Beat Sabre, Boneworks, Super Hot, etc. I have a 2070 Super - am I going to be able to run sims at 90fps with at the Reverb resolution or am I better off with a Rift S and 80 fps? Seems like a lot of pixels in the Reverb.

You will not be able to run full chat in DCS on the Reverb G2 not sure if that helps I only fly DCS.

Associate
I'm thinking this year we go for the Rift S and consider a higher resolution Reverb like in a couple of years. We just built our PC so won't be upgrading the GFX any time soon.

Associate
The Reverb G2 supposedly has a 'half resolution' mode. Maybe wait for reviews - it might provide acceptable performance with similar visuals to the Rift S, and you're future proofed for GFX upgrades down the road.

Soldato
The Reverb G2 supposedly has a 'half resolution' mode. Maybe wait for reviews - it might provide acceptable performance with similar visuals to the Rift S, and you're future proofed for GFX upgrades down the road.
I think it should still look better just because of the amount of pixels on the headset itself. You won't see them in front of your eyes no matter how low the resolution you are playing at.

Soldato
In the MRTV preview he mentioned he had no issues with the G2 on his 2070 super... Seems he played a variety of games like Alyx, xplane, dcs, onward etc.

You may have to sacrifice some graphics settings in some games to ensure a solid FPS but you can always reduce render resolution in steam or use whatever this half resolution mode is.

There is also relatively new tech like vrss etc which should improve performance on supported games which your 2070 super can do.

recommended base spec is 1080, so your 2070S is above that... I wouldn’t get an inferior headset for the sake of it. That said, the Rift S has access to oculus exclusives (you can also use revive to play the majority of games on the oculus store using other headsets but not all games work and some are buggy)... if the oculus catalogue has particular things that really appeal it may be a decision factor.

The Rift S however also seems to be the red headed stepchild to the Quest. All the cool new features etc are always coming to the quest and the rift S seems to languish Mostly forgotten... I’m not sure of their commitment to it longer term.

With your primary stuff being a good experience in sims I think you have to give preference to the G2 if it arrives as promised. That or spend a bit more and get the index... I personally wouldn’t be buying a rift S at this point unless I really wanted the best experience in some of the oculus pc exclusives.

Another option could be a quest - you can play on PC using link or wifi (latter requires side loading, but it’s easy) and gives you a pretty good desktop VR experience overall. It can also play standalone so when the kids want to play beatsaber they can leave you PC free! That way if you later upgrade to a higher res headset the quest can just become full time kid toy rather than the Rift S which would be redundant.

I think though in your situation, it’s be G2 for me (assuming it arrives as expected! Reviews of production units could find all sorts of problems...)

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a 1080ti and run Project Cars 2 on a Reverb. I run low AA, no detailed grass, no detailed shadows, medium track detail, medium car detail, low environment map, low reflections, low particle/density.

These settings run smoothly on every track I have tried as long as the weather is good. Rain is a no-go. Detailed shadows work on low for most venues, but I leave them off just so I don't forget when I go into a race on one of the more demanding tracks.

I also have a CV1 rift. I could run medium everything on that and ASW even made rain races workable. -But the Reverb looks better with low settings, thanks to the resolution than the Rift on medium. My Rift is now just a backup device.

Associate
Hmm. I knew I’d have to make sacrifices for VR, but low everything? I currently run all the main sims on pretty much ultra everything at 2560x1440 at most well over 120fps except ACC which sits around 90. I was hoping to get at least Medium and the odd high on the Rift S in AC, AMS2, RF2. Probably less on ACC, but I play that less anyway. YouTube gives the impression you can run higher settings than low.

Some of the through the lens videos look like the clarity difference between a reverb and a rift s isn’t huge, though certainly the CV1 is quite far behind.

Associate
I nearly preordered the G2 last night because I can see the benefits of future proofing for a while with higher resolution. On the other hand, these headsets seem to hold value well, certainly right now when they are all out of stock, so buying a Rift S now to see how I fare in VR (I get motion sickness is theme parks) might be worth doing with a view to upgrade in a couple years. Dunno. Kids like the look of some Rift exclusivities so there’s that. Maybe I should wait for the reviews.

Soldato
Hmm. I knew I’d have to make sacrifices for VR, but low everything? I currently run all the main sims on pretty much ultra everything at 2560x1440 at most well over 120fps except ACC which sits around 90. I was hoping to get at least Medium and the odd high on the Rift S in AC, AMS2, RF2. Probably less on ACC, but I play that less anyway. YouTube gives the impression you can run higher settings than low.

Some of the through the lens videos look like the clarity difference between a reverb and a rift s isn’t huge, though certainly the CV1 is quite far behind.

I run medium track and car detail. (The two things I notice most when driving) i can use higher settings at some tracks. I can even turn on detailed shadows at some tracks. But if I want to jump into any track at any time without thinking about it, I run the settings I outlined. I get frametimes in the 8 and 9 ms range until one of the harder-to-render tracks, where I then get into the 10's.

As for the clarity of the S vs CV1 vs Reverb: I have ran all three. (borrowed the S from a friend for a few weeks) "Out of the box" the S is much clearer in PC2 than the CV1 and *clarity wise* on par with the Reverb. But it's clearly defined pixels on the S vs a clearly defined "world" in the Reverb. A better way to put it may be "sharpness". Both the Reverb and the S are "sharp", but the S still has SDE to deal with.

Also, both PC2 and AMS 2 have sharpening adjustments in the form of editable txt files in the documents folders. I was able to get the CV1's sharpness up to the level of the other two, but the SDE is more pronounced than the S.

Also, I couldn't get ACC to look good on any headset. The AA made stuff blurry in VR on all three. I can *almost* live without AA with the Reverb, (and ACC is pretty sharp with no AA) but not quite. ACC's VR interface is also a PITA.

The SDE is not the end of the world. I was able to forget about it and enjoy driving just fine. But driving without SDE (in the reverb) is better.

While the S wasn't enough to make me want to upgrade from a CV1, it is still an improvement over the CV1.

Last edited:
Soldato
Out of interest have you experimented with lower render resolution in steam and raising other settings to see where the balance lies for overall visual effect?

Would be good to learn more about their proposed half resolution mode - I assume it would be designed to cleanly upscale to the native panel resolution and could prove to be a really good option for the more demanding games where you really want framerate as a priority, but then benefit from the higher resolution in better optimised/less demanding games all while using the same headset.

Soldato
Out of interest have you experimented with lower render resolution in steam and raising other settings to see where the balance lies for overall visual effect?

Would be good to learn more about their proposed half resolution mode - I assume it would be designed to cleanly upscale to the native panel resolution and could prove to be a really good option for the more demanding games where you really want framerate as a priority, but then benefit from the higher resolution in better optimised/less demanding games all while using the same headset.

I tried 50% using Steam VR, but the image lost sharpness. The G2's half resolution mode may do a better job than the Steam VR approach though.

Back
Top Bottom