Things to consider when buying a motorcycle battery

Associate
I just found out that my motorcycle battery died when I tried to use it this morning. I'm not sure of the reason, but I'm planning to buy a new one as soon as possible. So I'm wondering if there is something I should keep in mind before I purchase a replacement from this motorcycle battery shop I found online. Anyone who can pitch in some tips? Thanks.

Man of Honour
Has the bike been in use or has it been sat for a while? If it been being used and the battery has still gone I'd be checking the voltages being put out by your charging circuit before replacing the battery in case it's something more sinister.

Edit: should point out I own a Honda and therefore I'm probably more weary of charging circuit issues than most :o

Last edited:
Soldato
There is a motorcycle specific forum.

I tend to go for Yuasa. But no there is nothing really special about it, just make sure you get one that fits.

Another vote for Yuasa. Good value for money. Just remember to get a trickle charger/battery tender if the bike isn’t going to be in regular use. Bike alternators have far lower current outputs compared to car ones and you’ll barely be charging the battery on short trips with the headlight on.

Soldato
Make sure:
1. the physical dimensions fit your existing battery.
2. the cold cranking ampage matches or slightly exceeds your current battery. You can use a vehicle look up to identify one for your bike.
3. It is a maintenance free battery.

I highly recommend Yuasa, they are well renowned Battery manufacturer and widely available.

This website will give you the battery to fit your bike: https://www.yuasa.co.uk/#lookup-manual-selection

Soldato
Always used Motobatt ones, myself. Another pretty good brand and there's usually heated arguments over whether Motobatt or Yuasa are better... probably because they're about as good as each other.
Mostly I just prefer something with threaded terminals, rather than the type with floating blocks as these can be fiddly to fit in some compartments.

Soldato
I use both old school Yuasa on the my 750 which can be brought back from the dead and Mottbatt on 1200 first Mottbatt lasted 8 years friend had a Yuasa lasted 13 years.

Back
Top Bottom