Silver spoon loft find, worth anything?

Associate
Found a box that's been in the loft the last 20 odd years with about 15 spoons in it, all hallmarked and this is the largest and clearest of them I could take a picture of. If it's of any value I might take them all down to the local antique dealer for an appraisal.

Any idea how old it is judging by the hallmark?

PzKPx9L.jpg

1jjhA9E.jpg

Soldato
I can offer you £3.50 but first let me get my buddy to come have a look who is a expert in loft found silver spoons. I might be able to offer you £5 for the lot but I have to box them , store them on the shelf and the market is really down for loft found silver spoons at the moment, I could have them sat for a year.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I can offer you £3.50 but first let me get my buddy to come have a look who is a expert in loft found silver spoons. I might be able to offer you £5 for the lot but I have to box them , store them on the shelf and the market is really down for loft found silver spoons at the moment, I could have them sat for a year.

No trading outside the MM please. :p ;)

Soldato
Pretty sure those hallmarks translate to "made in china" :p

Get you and your silver spoons, you should go house to house offering a free spoonful of sugar to your neighbours so you can can show them off. That or learn to play the spoons I guess.

Soldato
Are any of them oddly marked with fancy necks? Shooting spoons / regimental spoons can be very collectable.

When my grandfather passed away we found a draw full of unpolished silver spoons - turns out he'd been a top marksmen when he was doing his service in the 40s and 50s. He'd never said a word to anyone about it.

Soldato
Are any of them oddly marked with fancy necks? Shooting spoons / regimental spoons can be very collectable.

When my grandfather passed away we found a draw full of unpolished silver spoons - turns out he'd been a top marksmen when he was doing his service in the 40s and 50s. He'd never said a word to anyone about it.

When mine passed away we found an old revolver and live ammo under his bed lol. In pristine condition in a nice wooden box. It had probably been there for 50+ years. My parents phoned the police to take it away, I would have kept it :p

Soldato
When mine passed away we found an old revolver and live ammo under his bed lol. In pristine condition in a nice wooden box. It had probably been there for 50+ years. My parents phoned the police to take it away, I would have kept it :p
My Grandfather had a nice .410 poachers shotgun with a folding stock which he said he would leave to me, probably luckily my mother got there first and had it destroyed.

The spoons may be £5-£10 each but may just be silver scrap value. I would get a proper value from a jeweller / silversmith.

Soldato
From what I can make out:

Lion passant - yes it's silver
Crowned leopard head - Stamped by the London Assay Office
The letter C (in that font) from teh London date chart is made in 1878
Can't make out the makers mark

Base value will be the weight of the silver at about 40p per gram (dealers may pay less), could be worth more depending on maker and any mistakes I've made.

Let us know !

Back
Top Bottom