How would you model this data for a Data Warehouse?

Soldato
Hi all.

I've got some data I need to bring into a data warehouse. Its data showing films and tv shows and I need to be able to find the following from it once in a data warehouse:

1) See all films or shows where the director is X or IN X,Y.
2) Count how many TV shows there are and how many films there are.
3) Find TV shows that star X.
4) Count Movies by Release Year.

The data has the following columns:

show_id (unique)
type (values = 'movie' and 'TV show')
title
director (values = name of single director or names of multiple directors in one column)
cast (values = name of single cast member or names of multiple cast members in one column)
release year (values = YYYY)

There are a number of other columns but I'm not interested in those. The model needs to be a star schema.

What I'm not sure of is what to use as my fact table other than the year and a bunch of surrogate keys that join to dimension tables for type, director, cast. Also, the cast and director columns can contain multiple values per row and is this going to cause a problem?

Many thanks.

M.

Soldato
I wouldn’t call that a data warehouse, it’s nothing more than a simple database which you can run sql commands against.

Is this an assignment you’ve been set in school, college, Uni or is Blockbuster coming back ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Is this more of an educational activity? Or is this something that you actually want working? If the latter then I'm pretty sure most media server software - eg plex, can do this for you. Would save reinventing the wheel.

Back
Top Bottom