New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Associate
Hi All been looking around and noticed dell are going to release a new gaming IPS monitor in july, the S2721DGF.

the specs are

Screen Size / Aspect Ratio 27 inches / 16:9
Max Resolution & Refresh Rate 2560 x 1440 @ 165 Hz (with DisplayPort, 144Hz with HDMI); G-Sync Compatible, FreeSync Premium Pro
Panel Type / Backlight IPS / LED
Natiive Color Space HDR 98% DCI-P3, VESA DisplayHDR 400
Contrast Ratio 1,000:1
Response Time (GTG) 1ms
Ports 2x HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.4, USB 3.0 downstream, USB 3.0 upstream, 3.5mm headphone-out jack, 3.5mm audio line-out
Power Consumption 46W
Dimensions 14.31 x 24.1 x 2.7 inches

sounds good, wonder if its better than the LG and might be worth cheaking out

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/dell-S2721DGF-S2721HGF-27-inch-gaming-monitors

Soldato
This looks interesting for the following reasons:

Freesync Premium Pro - I don't believe the LG 27GL850-B has this.
Ergonomics - likely to have a much better stand than the LG one.
Improved refresh rate - probably similar to the Viewsonic and Lenovo options.
Also headphone in and out.

As a negative the price, I imagine it will be around £549 in the UK plus discounts around £500, so more expensive than the LG.

Associate
OP
I am still trying to find out the price as i just bought a 27u19d which can be returned, I am sort of happy with it but gaming monitors seem to be expensive as I wanted a triple monitor setup.

I was thinking what the new dell monitor might use as there panel.

The Dell S2721DGF features FreeSync Premium Pro compatibility, The only difference between the two is that the Pro version supports HDR abd will be compatible with G-Sync once they ship which is July 28.

Soldato
Well, I am waiting for my replacement 27GL850-B which should come next week, if that is not good I will return it and I will get this. It is likely to be another £100 on top but as somebody else's said Dell have got decent QA.

Associate
OP
i just bought a Dell U2719D and i am sort of happy with it and i know its not much of a gaming monitor but i am thinkng if this new display will be better for work like photoshop over the U2719D and u have the plus side of a gaming monitor.

Soldato
i just bought a Dell U2719D and i am sort of happy with it and i know its not much of a gaming monitor but i am thinkng if this new display will be better for work like photoshop over the U2719D and u have the plus side of a gaming monitor.

I doubt it will be too different to the U2719D from a productivity point of view, although you might lose some USB ports. The gaming part will be miles better though.

Associate
OP
not to bothered about the usb ports but i dont know how much this is going to cost, u can get the U2719D for about £350 but do you think these will be about £400 ? or £500

do you think the new dell would have a better panel than the u2719d, Meaning better contrast and better shadow detail or do you think it will be the same but with just better refresh rate and a higher better HDR colour ?

I always had TN panals and just tried out the u2719D and it does seem to have not as deep blacks as the TN as it looks more gray but i am not to sure if its this ips glow that makes it look like that,

i was just trying to figure out if other ips panel like LG and otheres would be better or just the same.

I know apple use ips panels but there monitors look amazong blacks and i dont understnad how they do it so well compaired to other pc ips monitors or even if there is a monitor thta can do the same.

Last edited:
Soldato
It is going to be $579 in the US so I can't really see it being less than £500 although Dell run some deep discounts sometimes, so you might see it as low as £450, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I don't think it will have better contrast than your current panel, it will have better motion (165hz vs 60hz), better input lag and pixel response and basic HDR functionality.

IPS limitation is contrast, if you want deeper blacks VA (have a look at the new gigabyte) are the way to go but they have got other limitations. I personally like IPS as we have 2 or 3 people congregating in front of the pc sometimes, and I like the colour reproduction and speeds.

Have a look at reviews for the 27GL850-B. I would imagine it will be slightly better than the LG, but not much different as it is using the same panel.

Associate
Hopefully the S2721DGF doesn't suffer from the same horrendous ips glow in the corners as the 27GL850, and the Y27Q-20. Think I might get this one.

Last edited:
Associate
It is going to be $579 in the US so I can't really see it being less than £500 although Dell run some deep discounts sometimes, so you might see it as low as £450, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Hint .... its cheaper than that standard and even more with the deal they have on at the moment plus cash back if you are into that sort of thing

Associate
This monitor has slipped through the net. Good price for the spec and you get the famous Dell warranty. With promo codes, this is a really good price under £400. Monitor design is simple and I like that.
No reviews online or YouTube that i can find, but I assume this is the same as all the other 27" fast IPS available at present, so a bit of a bargain.

Back
Top Bottom