Employer changing working week

Soldato
My employer has decided that they want the working week to run Sun-Sat instead of Mon-Sun because another location runs this way and it'd make it easier apparently.

They've informed us of this a week ago and this is to happened this week. To compensate for the lost day staff are expected to lose a day off and as compensation will be paid the equivalent of one day's pay.

Everyone is extremely annoyed at this and management have just said tough doo doo.

Surely changing the working week means a contractual change and therefore cannot be done without consent on both sides?

Furthermore the contract specifies working 5 of 7 in each week so despite one week being shortened to 6 on their side employees shouldn't lose a day off right?

Soldato
I had a similar thing with my previous employer. Basically, they can ask you to accept the change but if not then they need to go through a period of consultation. However, this doesn't actually mean anything and just kicks the can down the road. Check your contract, but I reckon there'll be clause in there allowing them to do this.

Everyone else in my team (5 other staff members) accepted the change, bar me. They all went on a new rota straight away. I was kept on the old one, had a meeting with HR to discuss why I couldn't do it, had a meeting with the boss. Ultimately, I got a letter from HR saying that my contract was being amended in x amounts of week (the period they had to wait and 'consult). 4 weeks before this began, I handed in my notice as I found another job.

I did speak to Unite Union, who were next to useless. The employers have the power. Here is the thread I posted about a similar thing:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-work-what-are-they-allowed-to-do.18872716/

tl;dr? Look for another job.

Soldato
The problem is, if your employer causes a variation of your contract and you carry on working during this time, then you would have deemeed to have accepeted the variation in your contract. What you need to do is raise a greivance against your employer and run through the process and expect to be let go, at which point you can take them to a tribuneral for unfiar dismissal. Of course most people wouldnt or cant be bothered with it so either you end up swallowing it or leave.

Kicking up a big fuss when we are entering a colossal recession is not a wise move. If there are cutbacks then your name will be at the top of the list to go. There is a HUGE difference between what the law says and what you can prove.

I don't know whether you are a private dentist or on a checkout though. If you're in an unskilled job you really should tread carefully at the moment as you're easily replaceable. If your employer is trying to make changes to help it survive then you're better to go along with it.

The only thing that matters is voting with your feet. I have done this many times. I'd look for a a new job personally.

Associate
As above. These types of changes all come down to the contract you signed and how far you, your buddies and your union rep is willing to go.

The job market at the moment is **** and its going to be **** for a long time.
It sounds like your bosses have taken advantage of a rubbish situation in order to shove something unpleasant through, knowing there would be lots of pushback but not much anyone will be willing to do.

Man of Honour
Just to clarify, is the issue that in this change over week you've lost a day off but are being paid for it and then from now on it actually won't make any difference?

Soldato
If they are paying you instead of giving you a day of further down the line and this is why you're all not happy with it, then to be honest, easiest thing to do is to is.... *cough* *cough*.... oh what's that you're feeling ill and need a sick day.... Boom, free day off, minimal fuss.

Caporegime
If they are paying you instead of giving you a day of further down the line and this is why you're all not happy with it, then to be honest, easiest thing to do is to is.... *cough* *cough*.... oh what's that you're feeling ill and need a sick day.... Boom, free day off, minimal fuss.

That's far from being honest.

Soldato
I can not understand at all what this actually means. This partly because the OP hasn't specified.

It seems to the working week, instead of being Mon, Tues, Weds, Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun of which they worked 5 of 7, is now

Sun, Mon, Tues, Weds, Thurs, Fri, Sat that they still work 5 of 7.

I assume this starts today so essentially yesterday wasn't part of this week. But the day hasn't disappeared. It isn't forgotten about.

Surely some of you worked an extra day last week, and some of you have a day less this week ?

I feel like there isn't enough details here. Somebody must have worked yesterday so what happens with their pay ? or will they have an extra day off this week ?

Caporegime
I can not understand at all what this actually means. This partly because the OP hasn't specified.

It seems to the working week, instead of being Mon, Tues, Weds, Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun of which they worked 5 of 7, is now

Sun, Mon, Tues, Weds, Thurs, Fri, Sat that they still work 5 of 7.

I assume this starts today so essentially yesterday wasn't part of this week. But the day hasn't disappeared. It isn't forgotten about.

Surely some of you worked an extra day last week, and some of you have a day less this week ?

I feel like there isn't enough details here. Somebody must have worked yesterday so what happens with their pay ? or will they have an extra day off this week ?

Up until Sunday the week was Monday to Sunday and they worked days 5 out of 7.

Now the week has changed to Sunday to Saturday but Sunday was already part of last week. Presumably the employees are being asked to work 5 days out of 6 for this one week. They're only having one day off so being compensated with a day's pay.

It seems very reasonable so perhaps the OP can explain what the fuss is about.

Soldato

Now the week has changed to Sunday to Saturday but Sunday was already part of last week. Presumably the employees are being asked to work 5 days out of 6 for this one week. They're only having one day off so being compensated with a day's pay.

I get ya now.

Associate
Yea I don't get the fuss either.

If they were asking you to work Sun-Thurs instead of Mon-Fri I could understand the issue.
If your working week hasn't changed and it's only the discrepancy over 1 day, which you're being compensated for, then I really don't think you've got anything to complain about.

Associate
I get ya now.

The working week is being moved to make it easier on back office staff that have to support multiple sites.

So the TDLR is they get 1 days free money for no inconvenience at all.
They will work no extra hours.
They will not loose any at home hours.
Just behind the scenes there working week moves.

For 1 week and 1 week only on the books there will be a 6 day week.
yes. i too am confused now

Caporegime
I think it's that the employer is taking a days holiday from them.

They arent getting "free money" they're just having an enforced holiday effectively

Caporegime

Yeah definitely worth ******* your bradford score in a time of massive layoffs....

Back
Top Bottom