Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Soldato
My Cayman S has just sailed through its MOT at my local OPC with no advisories. That's a big relief, it was supposed to have been done back in April.

This was the first MOT under my ownership, so I was a little concerned that there might be some big bills waiting. Porsche serviced it before I bought it, but you always wonder how strict they are when the customer isn't paying for it. Its had a condenser replaced due to a stone strike, but that was covered under warranty. That is all that has gone wrong fo far.

I'm still over the moon at how cheap (relatively speaking) ownership has been in the last 15 months, compared to my previous cars (Lexus ISF, BMW M3s, M5s, Audi S & RS). Insurance is low (£400), Tax is reasonable (£300), MPG is OK at mid to high 30s for my mixed driving, though I don't really scruitinse here. The car came with 2 years OPC warranty and the major service done. Next April it will require a minor service and oil change and the warranty extended if I choose. It was suggested this should cost around £1400 all in, with my Porsche GB discount. To me that isn't too bad for two years motoring.

This has been a far cheaper experience for me, though I realise the others cars were bigger, heavier and had thirst engines, so were never going to be cheap to run. The Cayman fits into my life well at the moment and gives me a lot of pleasure, despite the practicality constraints of missing rear seats. Makes me think I should have tried this type of car years ago. All in all. feeling quite pleased today, fingers crossed I don't get a run of bad luck now.

Soldato
My Cayman S has just sailed through its MOT at my local OPC with no advisories. That's a big relief, it was supposed to have been done back in April.

This was the first MOT under my ownership, so I was a little concerned that there might be some big bills waiting. Porsche serviced it before I bought it, but you always wonder how strict they are when the customer isn't paying for it. Its had a condenser replaced due to a stone strike, but that was covered under warranty. That is all that has gone wrong fo far.

I'm still over the moon at how cheap (relatively speaking) ownership has been in the last 15 months, compared to my previous cars (Lexus ISF, BMW M3s, M5s, Audi S & RS). Insurance is low (£400), Tax is reasonable (£300), MPG is OK at mid to high 30s for my mixed driving, though I don't really scruitinse here. The car came with 2 years OPC warranty and the major service done. Next April it will require a minor service and oil change and the warranty extended if I choose. It was suggested this should cost around £1400 all in, with my Porsche GB discount. To me that isn't too bad for two years motoring.

This has been a far cheaper experience for me, though I realise the others cars were bigger, heavier and had thirst engines, so were never going to be cheap to run. The Cayman fits into my life well at the moment and gives me a lot of pleasure, despite the practicality constraints of missing rear seats. Makes me think I should have tried this type of car years ago. All in all. feeling quite pleased today, fingers crossed I don't get a run of bad luck now.

Which model Cayman? 987/1 etc? I'm still eying up a 987 but various horror stories of big bills keep putting me off...

Soldato
Which model Cayman? 987/1 etc? I'm still eying up a 987 but various horror stories of big bills keep putting me off...

My Cayman is a 2015 981S.

Ive always been worried about Porsches and their potential bills, but to be honest after years of 'playing it safe' with M/S/RS etc type cars, I realised I'd already been spending way too much on extended warranties, big services and expensive parts and labour. My experience so far has been better with Porsche, but the car has also been very good to start with.

Funnily I started off looking for a 'cheap' 987 as a weekend car. I looked at a few ropey ones, drove a few and then tried a new 718S. I didn't like this much and gave up. By chance the OPC had two 981 Caymans and suggested I try them. This really ticked the box for me, so much more engaging to drive and certainly more fun than big heavy saloon cars. I picked the PDK version as it suited my driving more and it actually replaced my ISF as my daily.

Do your research, speak to some owners and drive some cars. Go into it with your eyes open and you should get any nasty surprises.

Soldato
Yeah, lockdown has hampered my progress at going out to look at stuff. Also there's not much near to me, so want to avoid travelling hundreds of miles just to kick tyres :p

I am looking at a couple this weekend near to me though, that should give me a better idea. I'm leaning towards the 2.7 to avoid any potential issues with the 3.4 (bore scoring). I'd consider a 3.4 if I could get it scoped, or if the owner already had evidence of a previous investigation but they're few and far between!

Associate
Yeah, lockdown has hampered my progress at going out to look at stuff. Also there's not much near to me, so want to avoid travelling hundreds of miles just to kick tyres :p

I am looking at a couple this weekend near to me though, that should give me a better idea. I'm leaning towards the 2.7 to avoid any potential issues with the 3.4 (bore scoring). I'd consider a 3.4 if I could get it scoped, or if the owner already had evidence of a previous investigation but they're few and far between!

There's definitely two camps on this one. I have a high mileage 3.4 (987.1) and its cheap and reliable in my ownership. I feel like it would have killed itself by now (14 years old) if it was going to....

Soldato
There's definitely two camps on this one. I have a high mileage 3.4 (987.1) and its cheap and reliable in my ownership. I feel like it would have killed itself by now (14 years old) if it was going to....

My understanding of the bore scoring issue is that it'll gradually deteriorate (oil usage, smoking, ticking) over time. All the other things, seem reasonable cost wise, it's just the proposition of a 4-8k engine rebuild doesn't sit well. I'd also not want to sell it if I had the suspicion it had the issue. Maybe it's just a case of taking a brave pill...

olv

olv

Soldato
My understanding of the bore scoring issue is that it'll gradually deteriorate (oil usage, smoking, ticking) over time. All the other things, seem reasonable cost wise, it's just the proposition of a 4-8k engine rebuild doesn't sit well. I'd also not want to sell it if I had the suspicion it had the issue. Maybe it's just a case of taking a brave pill...

The 2.7 is pretty robust and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend getting one. There are plenty of common issues but none are that horrific on their own and it's unlikely that you'll experience them all at once. Insurance and tax are cheap, the official service schedule is every two years and nothing on them is that complicated that they cannot be tackled by any competent mechanic. Lots of things are DIY if you're so inclined, consumables are comparatively cheap, fuel economy is good and they are brilliant fun to drive.

Soldato
@naefeart Very good fuel consumption there! I get about 32 on a good run although probably more aerodynamically compromised than yours.

It's a good point actually, I don't think there's much in it with the roof up, not from Porsches figures anyway. Sport mode will make a difference there too, plus I drive like a granny these days :D

On the 987 topic, I would think any decent enthusiast owned 987 would either - at worst - have had the bores checked or - at best- already have had the engine work done. Any cars that hadn't had either, I'd be of the opinion aren't going to fail.

Last edited:

alx

alx

Soldato
My Cayman is a 2015 981S.

Ive always been worried about Porsches and their potential bills, but to be honest after years of 'playing it safe' with M/S/RS etc type cars, I realised I'd already been spending way too much on extended warranties, big services and expensive parts and labour. My experience so far has been better with Porsche, but the car has also been very good to start with.

Funnily I started off looking for a 'cheap' 987 as a weekend car. I looked at a few ropey ones, drove a few and then tried a new 718S. I didn't like this much and gave up. By chance the OPC had two 981 Caymans and suggested I try them. This really ticked the box for me, so much more engaging to drive and certainly more fun than big heavy saloon cars. I picked the PDK version as it suited my driving more and it actually replaced my ISF as my daily.

Do your research, speak to some owners and drive some cars. Go into it with your eyes open and you should get any nasty surprises.

How do you find your Cayman S versus the M3, RS cars etc you used to drive? I currently have a 2013 C63, and before that an RS5 and a Z4 35iS. I'm hankering for something more involving to drive that also gives a sense of speed and the 981 Cayman seems to tick the boxes. The C63 and RS5 are great cars, but are easy to drive fast and you don't really get a sense of speed until you're north of 3 figures. However the exhaust note of the C63 is sublime....

Soldato
How do you find your Cayman S versus the M3, RS cars etc you used to drive? I currently have a 2013 C63, and before that an RS5 and a Z4 35iS. I'm hankering for something more involving to drive that also gives a sense of speed and the 981 Cayman seems to tick the boxes. The C63 and RS5 are great cars, but are easy to drive fast and you don't really get a sense of speed until you're north of 3 figures. However the exhaust note of the C63 is sublime....

The Cayman is simply more fun to drive, more of the time.

The C63 has a great engine, but its rather a one trick pony. Great to power slide and get the tail out, and the noise! But how often do you get to drive it like that?

If you want ultimate thrills, get a Lotus Exige or an Evora. I tried both but they were too raw for me. The Porsche maintains all the creature comforts but is still an absolute joy to drive on a demanding road. Try one with a good spec and you'll know straight away if it's for you.

Mr Harris' opinion: https://youtu.be/wT2wkhg6LTQ

alx

alx

Soldato
The Cayman is simply more fun to drive, more of the time.

The C63 has a great engine, but its rather a one trick pony. Great to power slide and get the tail out, and the noise! But how often do you get to drive it like that?

If you want ultimate thrills, get a Lotus Exige or an Evora. I tried both but they were too raw for me. The Porsche maintains all the creature comforts but is still an absolute joy to drive on a demanding road. Try one with a good spec and you'll know straight away if it's for you.

Mr Harris' opinion: https://youtu.be/wT2wkhg6LTQ

Thanks. Agreed, I don't get to use the C63 in the way I want to as much as I like. I want to keep creature comforts whilst also being fun to drive.

I live 10-15 minutes from a circuit (Dubai Autodrome) so I want something that's more suitable for the odd track day than the C63.

I've looked at a number of online reviews (including Harris' one) and the Cayman seems to tick the right boxes. Guess I need to go for a test drive :).

OcUK Staff
OP
It has been said the 2.7 is the sweet spot as you need to stir it harder when making swift progress. I'd certainly have it over the Z/Z4

I budget can stretch the 2.9 DFI is the real sweet spot, it is even more revvier and of course has no worries over bore scoring or IMS worries, its a totally rock solid engine that loves to be thrashed.

Soldato
I budget can stretch the 2.9 DFI is the real sweet spot, it is even more revvier and of course has no worries over bore scoring or IMS worries, its a totally rock solid engine that loves to be thrashed.

Ah I was getting myself confused thinking of the 981 2.7. You're right, it's the 2.9 when you're talking 987.

Its not DFI though.

Soldato
What are Caymans like if you aren't afraid of working on them yourself? I guess non-service part prices are £lol?

I naively wasn't aware just how many modification parts are out there, I doubt I'd go down that route but you never know.

e: having a look around and part prices seem very reasonable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom