LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
I can't find the settings for these options?
1. cog button click picture change to GAME
2. Logo luminance to max - cog - > all settings -> oled screen saver
4. Edit the HDMI connection and set to PC (the icon for the connection in the menu's) Input button - > home dashboard -> green button - > edit select input change icon/name

Soldato
@smogsy cheers, got it sorted now.

Screen is stunning, I'm really pleased with it. I'm using it as a second screen for 3rd person games and also as a Netflix/Prime screen. I just think it's too large to use as a desktop screen, but already the colours etc. on my x34a are starting to look washed out compared to the OLED.

I'm trying not to jump around too many games as I get to grips with the best settings, so I'm playing Star Wars Fallen Jedi for the time being. 4k is a no go as my 1080ti can't push the pixels (is it pixels?) fast enough. However, I've dropped to 2560*1440 in the game settings and it's playing lovely with a solid 60fps. It doesn't feel like a compromise.

I'm now going to swap to my Vega 64 rig and see if Freesync is making a difference. I'll post thoughts later. :)

Soldato
@smogsy cheers, got it sorted now.

Screen is stunning, I'm really pleased with it. I'm using it as a second screen for 3rd person games and also as a Netflix/Prime screen. I just think it's too large to use as a desktop screen, but already the colours etc. on my x34a are starting to look washed out compared to the OLED.

I'm trying not to jump around too many games as I get to grips with the best settings, so I'm playing Star Wars Fallen Jedi for the time being. 4k is a no go as my 1080ti can't push the pixels (is it pixels?) fast enough. However, I've dropped to 2560*1440 in the game settings and it's playing lovely with a solid 60fps. It doesn't feel like a compromise.

I'm now going to swap to my Vega 64 rig and see if Freesync is making a difference. I'll post thoughts later. :)

now using this as a full desktop monitor & loving it. so much better than 27" 4K for work on Mac its great to with use of magnet. actaully moved all the rest of the screens of my desk

Playing at 4K On odyessy with 55-60FPS no issues on Medium/High on my 1080TI however red dead is another bull game :D i did try 2560x1440 but it just looks to blur after using 4K for last year looking forward to trying out Xbox one Series X too & my 3080TI + Cyberpunk 2077

what i want to try which going to do right now is 2560x1440 windowed + other windows on same screen due its size.

its not to bad
game at 2560x1440 still feels liker 60fps, although hdr is unavaliable.

b0iUdm7.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
As much as this monitor looks tempting, I am waiting so much for the JOLED panels to come next year with smaller sizes. 32" would be the perfect size for a desktop OLED.

its not to bad
game at 2560x1440 still feels liker 60fps, although hdr is unavaliable.
Looks awesome. The OLED can be run at 1440p 120hz though, right?

Soldato
As much as this monitor looks tempting, I am waiting so much for the JOLED panels to come next year with smaller sizes. 32" would be the perfect size for a desktop OLED.

Having used my CX48 for a few weeks, for me 32" would be too small. I think 40" would be my personal preference for 4K at normal desk distances, though this is a highly personal decision.

IMO get the CX48 now, enjoy it for the months/years until something better comes out, then buy that too and use the CX as a wall mounted 2nd monitor/media sceen ;)

Caporegime
Having used my CX48 for a few weeks, for me 32" would be too small. I think 40" would be my personal preference for 4K at normal desk distances, though this is a highly personal decision.
While that may be your personal preference and that's fine, 40+" causes the head to move at 'normal' (PC monitor) distances. It is neither ergonomic or conducive to reacting quickly in games. There's a reason why 16:9 monitors generally top out at 32-34"" across and it is the result of years of testing this stuff. 48" is still TV size really too big for a PC monitor unless it is quite far away (around 1.5m I would say).

IMO get the CX48 now, enjoy it for the months/years until something better comes out, then buy that too and use the CX as a wall mounted 2nd monitor/media sceen ;)

Nah, sounds a bit daft. :p

Caporegime
I am also waiting. No rush, already got a OLED with HDMI 2.1 and VRR to enjoy in the living room. Happy to wait a year or two for for something smaller that is in the 32-40 inch range to come out at a lower price :D
Yeah, until then I guess I will just pick up another IPS for a reasonable price and suffer the poor blacks.

Caporegime

Problem is that JOLED panels might be announced/prototyped next year but I bet you wont be able to buy one until the end of 2022. I am still waiting to buy monitors which were demo#'d at the beginning of 2019.

Everything moves so slow.

Soldato
I would have also preferred a 40" size, but this thing from a meter (or two) away is immense. I've never seen a picture like it. When it gets dark, sunlight can become blinding off the screen. And that's with OLED Light set to 50!

I have noticed that mine recognises games and movies on the Xbox and will select settings to fit. Slightly annoying but once the settings are in, we're good. The motion smoothing stuff is horrid IMO though. That's switched off for all inputs.

Soldato

As mentioned, I think 2022 is earliest we'll see these. Really no point waiting at this point. Even when they announce such a product, expect it be 12-18 months out. Not to mention the price, which I expect to be very high. They are NOT a TV, so I don't expect any price parity with the LG OLEDs. It's going to be a disruptive product either way, but it won't be £500-600, just in case anyone actually believes that's likely. I think LCD is pretty much dead as a technology, once OLED really gets a foothold, but the price it's still being sold (and purchased) at, it isn't going anywhere for a while yet.

Caporegime
Yup, expect an OLED "monitor" to cost massive money, just have to look at what is considered to be "top end" LCD monitors.... and what they are costing..... :o

Soldato
While that may be your personal preference and that's fine, 40+" causes the head to move at 'normal' (PC monitor) distances. It is neither ergonomic or conducive to reacting quickly in games. There's a reason why 16:9 monitors generally top out at 32-34"" across and it is the result of years of testing this stuff. 48" is still TV size really too big for a PC monitor unless it is quite far away (around 1.5m I would say).

Nah, sounds a bit daft. :p

Yeah, as I mentioned in the post you quoted, the best sized screen and the best distance to view the screen at, is a highly personal choice. Also depends on your room setup, and size of desk. Larger, deeper desk = more room for larger monitors, without having to move your head as much.

The distance I have my CX48 mounted at means I don't move my head at all. I can appreciate the resolution and detail at this distance without any kind of eye strain.

Soldato
Yup, expect an OLED "monitor" to cost massive money, just have to look at what is considered to be "top end" LCD monitors.... and what they are costing..... :o

The irony is that these OLEDS are far in fact cheaper than the best HDR LCD monitors. The margins on 'PC Monitors' are just obscene, but I guess that's to be expected with more % of gamers turning/getting introduced to consoles each year.

Soldato

indeed but fullscreen looks a bit dull so play in windowed mode so keep desktop res as 4K but play 1440p windowed although 99% time i play at 4K

Back
Top Bottom