Used car from dealer - tyre advisory on MOT

Soldato
I'd definetly have gone elsewhere but I certainly know what you mean about not being able to stop a woman jumping in to it. At least she put a complaint in !
Commonly (and incorrectly) called road tax. :D

Only people I know who still call it that are 60+.
The .gov site is headlined "tax your car"

Associate
vehicle exise duty, vehicle tax, same thing. Exise duty is a kind of tax.

Road tax, vehicle tax, not the same thing.

Anyway its not important I guess. :p

Ha, I'd never given it much thought but always assumed it was the 'tax' part that people were correcting. As in 'it's not tax, it's excise duty' :D

Caporegime
IThe .gov site is headlined "tax your car"

Yes, tax your car. Your vehicle. Pay the exise duty on your vehicle. Vehicle exise duty. VED. The thing that replaced road tax before 99.7% of members on this forum were born, including yourself I dare say! ;)

Ha, I'd never given it much thought but always assumed it was the 'tax' part that people were correcting. As in 'it's not tax, it's excise duty' :D

Exise duty is a tax that is designed to discourage the purchase of particular goods. In this case, vehicles. Some vehicles aren't subject to it though because they do not cause congestion or pollution, like bicycles for instance. (Yes it is more complicated than that but thats the gist)

Hence the common phrase "cyclists should have to pay road tax!!" being nonsensical on two levels, not just one. Road tax doesn't exist, VED does, and bicycles aren't subject to VED.

Sorry, I guess its a pet peeve of mine... :D

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a road tax because it's a tax to use the road. The fact that it's been dressed up as a "duty" to try and trick people into believing it's not a tax doesn't stop it being a tax.

Caporegime
It's a road tax because it's a tax to use the road. The fact that it's been dressed up as a "duty" to try and trick people into believing it's not a tax doesn't stop it being a tax.

No its a tax to use your vehicle on the road. You can still use the road for free if you have a vehicle which isn't subject to the tax.

Why is this so difficult?

Soldato
Literally everyone I know calls it car or road tax and I’m nothing like 60, I can’t imagine any normal person uttering the phrase ‘vehicle excise duty’ or even worse ‘VED’ in conversation!

back on topic I would be reluctant to ever visit a VW dealership after our experience with the local one and the VW complaints procedure which is basically them saying ‘franchise’ and ‘not much we can do’ a lot.

Soldato
You really should have, hindsight and all that got them to change all the tyres over before buying/collecting it. You now have another issue and that it that if the inside is worn more than the outside then you need to also get the wheel alignment/tracking done too.

And Jesus an entire page of this thread arguing over Po-ta-toes and Pa-tat-oes, get your mask on and get some fresh air :D

Soldato
Car tax is accurate. If I hear anyone say "road tax" I correct them.

Yep, I'm fun at parties. :D

How about we make this thread more about you (pretty much like every other thread)? I'm not sure how helpful your 13 posts about road tax is to the OP with only 1 post loosely connected to the original post.

Anyway, as much as it's frustrating there is probably a lesson learnt to checked the car more thoroughly before. I guess you have now have 2 options:

1) Take a picture of the tyres and the wear on the edge and send them to the dealer. If you don't have any luck escalate it to VW customer services. My experience with VW/Skoda has generally been fantastic if there is an issue
2) Swallow the cost and get a pair of tyres. Total cost £120-150. Annoying but at least you know they have been changed and won't need doing again

Caporegime
How about we make this thread more about you (pretty much like every other thread)? I'm not sure how helpful your 13 posts about road tax is to the OP with only 1 post loosely connected to the original post.

I'm not talking to myself am I, people are replying, and I am then in turn replying to them, because that is how forums work... These posts are also spread out over several days, so clearly there isn't a lot left to be said on the original subject.

You clearly thought differently because you have come in with a new response to the OP! Something you were free to do this whole time.

Back
Top Bottom