Powerline adapters - mixing 100 mb and 1000 mb

Associate
Hi all,

Since entering lock down i've done what any sane person would do and spend a lot of time thinking about networking. I've upgarded all my ethernet cables to cat7 and powerlined all the tvs.

To date i have 100 mb powerlines all TPlink. If i buy one set of 1000 mb TP links (just to connect my pc to the router) will they all work together properly?

Thanks in advance

Associate
OP
It comes on Tuesday. I will let you know. My hope was it would run 1000 between the two 1000 mb plugs. Obviously 100 mb for the plugs that are 1000 mb connected to a 100 mb. Guessing I may have been optimisic?

Associate
OP
Came today.

Worked perfectly. Now have a 1 gbp connection on the PC. All the 100 mb ones didn't need any resync'ing and stayed connected. Transfers to my NAS are significantlly faster.

Soldato
That connection is likely 500Mbit each way, i’d be genuinely amazed if you can push 100MB/s+ over powerline even in sockets next to each other.

Soldato
Sure, it's coming up as 1000 mb in windows but as you say probably slower in reality. It's a lot faster when i do speed checks to the NAS

Windows is just reporting the link speed to the ethernet port on the homeplug. Actual real world throughout will be nowhere near 1Gbps, if you use something like iperf you can get some actual figures.

Don
Download this on two pcs.

https://iperf.fr/iperf-download.php

Extract to C:\iperf
Open cmd, type.. cd c:\iperf , hit enter

Type..
Ipconfig, hit enter, make a note of the IP
iperf3 -s, hit enter

Go to other pc, extract,cmd etc etc
iperf3 -c IPofFirstMachine, hit enter

This will tell you the real speed.

If it's gigabit, it will be around 950-980 mbps