• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I guess that would have led to confusion though, having a 3700XT as a graphics card and CPU. Either that or more increments of 50 to differentiate them.
Well it would've been 30x0(XT) like the RTX series (which is why Nvidia did some legalism then named Ampere RTX 3000, rather than RTX 2100).

But 5700XT GPU in 2019 and 5700XT CPU in 2022 is very likely

Associate
We have no idea if the I/O will be scaled to 7nm, it may be now they have more 7nm capacity available, but going to 7nm doesn't mean that the I/O will be better automatically.

Obviously on a monolith die like the APU everything is at 7nm but that doesn't meant the transistor density is the same throughout the whole die.

IO just doesn't scale as well as logic, and presumably certain parts need extra spacing to able to run larger currents and/or higher voltages.

I can't imagine that AMD aren't striving to improve the FCLK as much as possible, they've said in the past that IF or I/O <-> CPU speed was one of their main priorities since that is the basis for the chiplet design and continuous improvement is required to make it stay competitive.

I'd also think they'd be working on getting it at a minimum as 1:1 for DDR5 which will be starting at ~ 4,800MHz, so the FCLK will need to be 2,400MHz by then assuming they stick to the same design for future Zen4, so a increment to 2,133MHz would seem not unreasonable to expect on Zen3.

But don't forget that this all has to be balanced against power usage. So far PCIe4.0 has been quite a power hug, and there are reviews out there showing Threadripper 1 spending a large % of it's power budget outside of the cores.

On the other hand some cleverness can help. As in normally you'd expect lower clocks to run more efficient but Renoir (and even a lot of Nvidia GPUs) have some parts running at frequencies which seem way above the freq/power sweet spot.

Caporegime
Really hope we can just drop in the 4000 series into X570 boards and not miss out on any features.
Given how recently B550 launched, it would extremely odd if B550 didn't 100% support 4000 series.

And therefore would be extremely odd if X570 didn't support 4000 series (and B550 did..)

But who knows.

Soldato
There was a rumour that Zen 3 will drop alongside x670 but x570 will definately have full support. They wouldn't have just released B550 if the whole 5000 series will be EOL in a few months.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm more interested in A520 for some budget gaming ITX builds.

It'll be interesting to see the difference that PCIe 4 makes to benchmarks at varying levels of graphics card.

This has already been tested on PCI-E V4 boards that are released. Makes 0 difference to gaming.

Testing has shown that only the 2080TI is fast enough to show a speed increase going from PCI-E v3 X8 to X16. It will probably take 5-7 years for any GPU to be powerful enough to show a speed increase from PCI-E v3 to v4, so isn't worth worrying over.

Soldato
This has already been tested on PCI-E V4 boards that are released. Makes 0 difference to gaming.

Testing has shown that only the 2080TI is fast enough to show a speed increase going from PCI-E v3 X8 to X16. It will probably take 5-7 years for any GPU to be powerful enough to show a speed increase from PCI-E v3 to v4, so isn't worth worrying over.

The way that Intel and AMD at least appear to be going with the more modular approach might allow us to saturate the bus quite soon if it takes off

Soldato
So Jim still thinks Zen Desktop is delayed until next year "late December 2020" is basically not actually available to buy until the middle of January 2021 at the earliest.

Zen 3 in 2020? AMD say yes, AdoredTV says no.

Looks like the 265th person from AMD needs to confirm that it’s coming this year.

Caporegime
They could release the server chips at the end of the year and still have it be considered launching at the end of the year. Possibility they want to release zen and big navi at the same time for all we know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom