Toilet leaking at the base

Soldato
Hi The bath room is only 3 years old but I suspect I got a leak at the bottom of the toilet next to those bolts

The floor (granite) has water leaks on that area almost every day.

what could be the problem and how do I fix it?

Soldato
OP
The pan connector does not appear to have any water leaks underneath
I will double check

so that leak isnt instant
It dont look like it happens rt away when the toilet is flushed

Soldato
Are you sure it's not your aim? ;)

It could be a number of things. My guess would be a leaking seal at the bottom of the cistern, which is running down the body of the toilet to get to the floor - good news there is that at least it's clean water which is leaking out...

Soldato
OP
Are you sure it's not your aim? ;)

It could be a number of things. My guess would be a leaking seal at the bottom of the cistern, which is running down the body of the toilet to get to the floor - good news there is that at least it's clean water which is leaking out...

So it could be the kids? Lol i mean come on for a 3 year old toilet it shouldnt be doing this

Soldato
OP
You making some very bizzar threads @psd99 are you alright?

Mmmm 1984 I wonder do I know you?

yes all good and that is a very subtle observation you have made. I am all good except for a leaking toilet, an electrical problem and working in a ‘wfh company ‘that is infatuated with video conference calls 24/7.

the rum and whiskey certainly helps. No fun without rum right

Soldato
I would take off the cistern and have a look at the doughnut washer to see if it looks like its in place properly or in need of changing. It could be it was incorrectly located when installed. When I removed one of my cisterns, it was not in place properly but still working somehow.

If you do take off the cistern, make sure you isolate the water supply first and flush the toilet to remove as much water in the cistern... :D

*edit* when you say bolts, do you mean bolts holding it to the floor? (I thought you meant from the cistern). Check where the water is going in to the cistern (normally a flexi pipe) as that might not be tight enough.

Soldato
OP
yes the bolts either side of the toilet that bolt it down to the floor
i wonder if they need tightening up

so I tried to lift the lid of the cistern last night but it didn't seem to come off. looks like some silicon action going on there lol

are you talking about the The dougnut washer that sits inside the cistern right at the bottom?

Soldato
I don't think the bolts holding the toilet to the floor would have anything to do with it, unless the toilet is sliding all over the place and the waste pipe is no longer sealing (very unlikely IMO). I think water will be tracking down from further up.

yup I mean the doughnut washer that is under the cistern that seals between the pan and the cistern. If you don't have a concealed cistern that is. They are normally quite straight forward to remove providing you can isolate your water supply and unscrew the two wing nuts holding the cistern on to the pan. If you only have one toilet and worried about not having a loo, worst case scenario if you just chuck a bucket of water down the pan when you need to flush it.

Odd about the lid not coming off, can you see silicon holding it down? I think sometimes the push button on some units holds it down too, can't quite remember. My push buttons are not holding my lid down.

*edit* ah this is the vid I saw ages ago. Pulls the siphon out with it if your not careful which could be why yours didn't want to come off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIKRaSzvo0w&t=33s

Last edited:
Soldato
Years ago I had a mate who was a plumber -he got called out to a wet floor round the toilet pan - It turned out to be the kids - they knew they had to go to the loo but were too small to get it over the pan so peed up the pan -A stool (as in a seat) was a godsend. ;)

Probably a leaky washer.

Back
Top Bottom