How do you deal with substandard cutlery when dining out?

Soldato
What annoys me most when I eat out is seeing all the elbows on tables

I didn't realise that licking the knife was a big no no as well. I had a date pull me up on it years ago, then I did it again without thinking and she called me disgusting. Needless to say that was the last time I saw her!

Soldato
Worst they can say is no.
Yeah... but it's not though is it. See quote below. You're opening yourself up to a world of venereal diseases :p
I like to eat with cutlery that hasn't been used to de-smeg the Chef's salami, which is why I wouldn't complain about the quality of cutlery in a restaurant.

Some of the most delicious food i ate with disposible chopsticks.
Indeed. Having said that for your own home it is nice to have some nice weighty cutlery. In that; it's just nice to have nice things.

Associate
Time and a place....

fancy restaurant - fancy cutlery
fish and chips - wooden fork, paper
Chinese restaurant - nice chopsticks
Burger (anywhere) - hands
Pint in pub - pint glass
Pint at festival - plastic

However I wouldn’t be asking for another set, I’d just not go back.

Soldato
It is quite odd that this occurs, as many of these places are very lush in every other aspect, but they seem to always skimp on cutlery.
Any establishment best described as 'lush' is probably supplying you with plastic cutlery.
Go to a proper restaurant, where they serve adults.

And leading on from this, when dining at other peoples houses like friends or family how do you get around this issue? It feels rude to ask for alternate cutlery in that scenario.
It feels rude, because it is. You clearly are aware of this, so why even ask?

I do actually like heavy cutlery. It's one of the things I bought for new house. I believe it was Robert welch bud.
We have a set of theirs... Radford, I think... Wouldn't say it's especially heavy, though.

Caporegime
Any establishment best described as 'lush' is probably supplying you with plastic cutlery.
Go to a proper restaurant, where they serve adults.

It feels rude, because it is. You clearly are aware of this, so why even ask?

We have a set of theirs... Radford, I think... Wouldn't say it's especially heavy, though.

zePhhWzm.jpg

This is set I have. They are really nice to be fair.

Permabanned
Some people think it's a bit weird, but I always take my own cutlery to places.

I have a knife, fork and spoon forged from the finest 1095 carbon steel by a master Japanese craftsman who has spent the last 60 years honing his skills and perfecting his craft. Harukana-san lives in solitude in the Kita Alps, meticulously making the finest blades in the world. Famously, he refuses to make them on request, insisting that each blade finds its owner after a spirit quest. It never fails to make me laugh when we're at a restaurant and one of my friends is given a utility grade fork with bent tines and probably other peoples' saliva remnants on it, whilst my pefectly weighted, sharpened and balanced cutlery is pristine and precise. I've cut through entire rib roasts with the knife alone; it slices through even the toughest cuts of meat with the finesse and ease of a legendary samurai's blade. The mere thought of sitting down at a restaurant and using their cutlery to me is laughable now. A man's cutlery should be an extension of his very being - an augmentation to their limbs. Eating should be conducted with grace and poise, a poetic expression of one's animal instinct, man and steel in perfect harmony. You can't ever hope to attain that level of culinary enlightenment as you fumble around with substandard cutlery.

Back
Top Bottom