Random shutting down issue playing GTA 5

Associate
So I have a strange issue whereby my PC is just shutting itself down after an hours or 2 on GTA. This has only started happening in the last few days, but the system just shuts down. The mobo rgb stays on, but the power button won't switch it back on until I switch the psu power off and on.
This issue only happens playing GTA, I can play civ, pubg, ESO and other games for hours fine.
Temps were CPU 45 degrees and GPU was 52 degrees, vrm temps on the mobo have never seen hit even 50 degrees.

Spec is:
3900x stock, 8 pack ram @3600 cl14, asrock taichi x470, gigabyte rtx 2070 super, x5 ssd's (had 7), 360m coolermaster aio, x6 120mm rgb case fans, x2 led strips, rgb GPU brace, lian li strimer plus (rgb ATX 24pin and x2 8 pin GPU) seasonic focus plus 650w gold.

Looking like psu maybe???

Soldato
A distinct possibility, the older it is the more I would suspect it. However I would assume it was bought at the same time as the rest of the rig.

Another possibility is the PSU extentions. I'd take them out temporarily to see if that eliminates the problem.

Associate
OP
Psu is 4 years old at this point, what's weird is it's only GTA it does this on. I'll have to put the power usage for CPU and GPU on when I game next, maybe GTA hits the CPU package power harder?

I have been thinking of going up to an 850w too... I feel like my power consumption must be fairly high?

Associate
Can u test cpu and gpu at the same time drawing max power possible and see is psu can handle that.?

It is a bit odd that only gta5 overloads your pc.

Associate
OP
Funny as you said this it's done it again and I was playing with headphones off this time and there's a high pitched yet quiet hissing noise coming from it. It goes briefly when I unplug a USB device, then comes back. The unit I bought in 2016, so 6 years remain on the warranty.

Only problem is RMA basically means I need to buy a new unit as I need my PC for work...

Associate
I see this thread and it reminds me of mine: new rig using an old 650W PSU. It's frustrating that there's no way to prove it without just dropping £80+ on a new PSU.

Associate
OP
Thankfully contacting seasonic was a good move! Emailed them about the power cutting out and they responded in under 5 minutes saying it needs replacing. They offered me an advanced RMA so I've zero downtime.

New psu arrives tomorrow and then I send mine back at my convenience. Oh, they also upgraded the model in terms of actual model and power output, which was a big yet awesome surprise. They have a customer for life now!

Soldato
Thankfully contacting seasonic was a good move! Emailed them about the power cutting out and they responded in under 5 minutes saying it needs replacing. They offered me an advanced RMA so I've zero downtime.

New psu arrives tomorrow and then I send mine back at my convenience. Oh, they also upgraded the model in terms of actual model and power output, which was a big yet awesome surprise. They have a customer for life now!

Very good!

Makes me really pleased I picked a seasonic PSU for the first time for my current build!

Back
Top Bottom