How much do you spend when you go out in pubs or drink alcohol at home?

Associate
I have never worked it out, but I can go out twice a week and drink 6 pints or so, and then I also drink a couple of cans a day when not going out. basically quite a bit.

Don
Soldato
Maybe over your way the lads are like that :)

These are 20+ stone blokes who’re seasoned drinkers. I’m sure if @Freefaller was around he’d have similar stories to tell.

It’s not exactly a good thing either, expensive hobby when you can knock that much back and it must be wreaking havoc on their organs.

Being 20 stone alone can't be good for your organs, liver especially.

Soldato
I'm an exceptional lightweight so I don't need to buy much! Had a few cans\bottles last night with a takeaway but it's not often i'll drink, 3 or 4 pints and that's me done really.

Soldato
I am Scottish so.
Pub ∞
Home ∞

Altogether something like ∞+∞ i would have thought, its something like that anyway.

so 8 and you're on your back then?

Maybe 16 on an empty stomach.
Of course everyone can do 16 Buds, heck mother Teresa could do two dozen of them and still be sober enough to do what even she er... did....

I’m concerned that sideways missed the brilliant joke here. :D

Soldato
Not really a drinker anymore. Probably buy a case of beer every other week for occasional drink while watching TV.

In a pub usually stop after 3 or 4 pints to avoid hangover the next morning :)

Soldato
wow not going to say what i drink a week but add all yous up and something near ..lol
chef so we lot do drink a bit .. if i did say 3 bottles of rum a week is that to much ? but we won't count the beer

A friend I go drinking with regularly is a chef - I consider myself a relatively heavy drinker, but he can drink me under the table and still appear relatively sober. I’ve seen him drink over 30 bottles of beer in one sitting before - no idea how he does it.

Soldato
I've pretty much packed in the drinking now. 7 week old baby in house and it can be hard work enough getting up completely sober at all hours, I can't imagine doing that still half cut. Or doing it with even just a drink or two in my system.

I had a couple of whiskeys recently (and I mean only 2 x singles with a soda mixer) and I was still feeling its poisonous effects well into the next day. I'm not saying I won't drink again on a semi regular basis, but not any time soon.

And for cost? Don't really know, all the stuff I have are gifts from people, work or clients. Some whiskeys certain look expensive. Hangovers are still the same.

When we're out drinking it's always on the company's dime. We do spend loads though. Thousands.

Associate
I don't and never have drank at home so that'd be a big fat zero for me and neither do I go to the pub other than for a night out for some occasion. Not sure if it is linked to some form of Glasgow or Scottish effect but I can't just have a drink or two to enjoy it. If I drink the goal is to get drunk with little idea of where it will lead, usually more drinking or some kind of bender. I can maybe have one drink at a push but a second is always too dangerous tbh.

For those that can and do have a few drinks, why? If not to get drunk or at least a little buzz etc. surely other drinks are better tasting to consume.

Soldato
I don't and never have drank at home so that'd be a big fat zero for me and neither do I go to the pub other than for a night out for some occasion. Not sure if it is linked to some form of Glasgow or Scottish effect but I can't just have a drink or two to enjoy it. If I drink the goal is to get drunk with little idea of where it will lead, usually more drinking or some kind of bender. I can maybe have one drink at a push but a second is always too dangerous tbh.

For those that can and do have a few drinks, why? If not to get drunk or at least a little buzz etc. surely other drinks are better tasting to consume.

Any more than 3 drinks for me and the pay off stops. I've known this for ages now. After my third whiskey I feel as good as I'm going to feel all night. My mood is happy and laughing and chatty but in the back of my mind I'm stone cold sober, tracking the hour or so I have left before the buzz wears off. It's my guardian angel or better self watching over my slightly drunk version. I can of course keep drinking but I feel no better, just more and more sick and the hangover debt for the next day continues to build. So, I just stop.

The last time I kept drinking and taking shots was May the 8th, 2015. It was a Friday night as we had a huge work function and it was also my leaving do from my previous job. Remember it well. Started at 6pm and my intention was to pace myself over 3 drinks (ok, maaaaaybe 4-5 as an unbelievably rare occurrence) and be out of there by 9pm. Yea, so at 4am I was slamming shots and ended up going home with a woman from work. I woke at 1pm on the Saturday with her wrapped around me and let me tell you, I would've welcomed death in an instant had it been an immediate option. The hangover, disgust and self loathing was unreal. Almost a physical weight pushing down on me. She must've been awake as my first words were something like 'OH ****, what the **** did I do!!'. She got upset immediately and started crying, then stopped just as fast and started babbling about having to find her car and whether I wanted 'another go at her, seeing we're naked now'. I just wanted out of there as fast as humanly possible but I had to carefully question her to substantiate what exactly happened the night before because I was clearly dealing with a person of questionable stability. I saw 3-4 used condoms on her bedroom floor and being 34 at the time (and very very drunk) it's impossible that it was all my work. Or any of my work at all. I just had no idea.

Anyway, there's more to the story but that's not the point here. Nothing good comes after three or maximum four drinks for me. Simply nothing. Everything just goes over a cliff. I've completely internalised that so it's very easy now just not to do it.

Soldato
@StuBob I like the buzz, but being such a light weight I feel it big time after 1 pint. I feel the same way until about 4 pints then I get messy. lol.

I'm jealous! Used to drink quite heavily in my 20s as that was the done thing with my crowd and co-workers (even the boss was "working from home" many Fridays after our Thursday team drinks)

Calmed down a lot when my first kid came along and now as I really suffer hangovers drinking what used to be a sensible after work amount :p My problem is when I'm out with friends who drink, I'll keep drinking. Don't drink that much nowadays, maybe a few bottles at the weekend.

Soldato
I don't drink at home unless I really fancy it, which might be once a year.

Pubs, I only ever go to for a meal or a night out both happen less than 5 times a year. If it's a meal, I have soft drinks and I'll have one or two, so £5 maybe? If it's a night out, I might spend £30-£35 on alcohol, and another £15-£20 on food and taxis. I'm by no means a big drinker.

Back
Top Bottom