PSU that's compatible with Seasonic custom cables

Associate
As per the title really. I have a seasonic focus plus 650w gold psu that's making some weird hissing noises and has shut the whole PC down a few times unexpectedly now.
I'm in the process of sorting out an RMA, but basically I'm going to need to buy a replacement as my PC is used for work and can't wait for a replacement to arrive.
The issue now is availability of another PSU, as I'm using this as an opportunity to upgrade to an 850w unit, but can only see a handful on here. The kolink ones I'll avoid, so the only one I can see is the phanteks 850w unit, which I believe is made by seasonic too? Question is if they use the same cable input layout or what else is suitable, as my pcie, atx power, CPU power etc etc are all custom length cables.

Soldato
Phanteks AMP is definitely Seasonic Focus based.
Insides of Phanteks Revolt Pro looks pretty much same and Seasonic uses same cabling at least in their own PSUs.
Of course it's not sure if wiring is all same in these made for other brands.

Buit you can compare connectors and if you have multimeter its trivial to check that wiring is same.

Associate
OP
Phanteks AMP is definitely Seasonic Focus based.
Insides of Phanteks Revolt Pro looks pretty much same and Seasonic uses same cabling at least in their own PSUs.
Of course it's not sure if wiring is all same in these made for other brands.

Buit you can compare connectors and if you have multimeter its trivial to check that wiring is same.

Well after some digging and an email to Seasonic I have some answers at least! Seasonic themselves have told me that my unit has a known fault that was revised in 2018 (ripple or something on high end GPU's, which I suppose a 2070s is semi high end...), but the Focus Plus I have is end of life, so whilst they do have stock they advised that if I would like to start an RMA they will replace it with a Focus GX model instead. Strangely the also said if I pay them 75 euros they will do an advanced RMA and refund the 75 euros upon receiving my unit. 1-3 day turnaround according to their site...

As for the Phanteks unit, still wondering if I should just replace my PSU anyway, as I'll be getting the new RTX 3080ti/3090 when they arrive (2070s is useless at 3440x1440p 144hz). The Phanteks Revolt is apparently a rebadged Seasonic Prime unit, albeit with a different fan and packaging. Sensible head says suffer a few days without a PSU and upgrade if/when needed, as my GPU pulls 260w, CPU 124w and whatever the rest comes to I doubt it anywhere near the 650w. I'd be surprised if it's pulling 500w at the wall...

Soldato
If I were you I'd just suffer the few days unless you need it for work and don't have a backup system you can use in the meantime.

It's a pretty dire time to buy a PSU given stock availability and pricing.

That said, if you did buy a new unit you could either sell it or your RMA once it arrives via the MM to get back most of the costs, you'd only end up losing some time and the cost of a take away most likely.

Associate
OP
If I were you I'd just suffer the few days unless you need it for work and don't have a backup system you can use in the meantime.

It's a pretty dire time to buy a PSU given stock availability and pricing.

That said, if you did buy a new unit you could either sell it or your RMA once it arrives via the MM to get back most of the costs, you'd only end up losing some time and the cost of a take away most likely.

I think you're probably right, my gut is telling me to not be impatient and just wait if it's only 1-3 days. I did however see that the warranty is transferable on the Seasonic units, so the replacement would have 90 days plus the 7+ remaining years of warranty if I did decide to sell. No idea what it would be worth though for a brand new GX 650 gold with 7 years warranty?

Soldato
I think you're probably right, my gut is telling me to not be impatient and just wait if it's only 1-3 days. I did however see that the warranty is transferable on the Seasonic units, so the replacement would have 90 days plus the 7+ remaining years of warranty if I did decide to sell. No idea what it would be worth though for a brand new GX 650 gold with 7 years warranty?

Put in a price check on the MM, given you'll essentially have a new PSU albeit with a reduced warranty I don't think you'll lose much off new.

As an aside, if you do decide to buy a new PSU OCUK have the Phanteks Revolt Pro 850W in stock for £125 at the moment and that comes with a 12 year warranty. I'm pretty sure it's based on the Seasonic Prime platform but don't quote me on that, could be a worthwhile alternative. I don't think you need that much power personally, but given people are paying £100-110 for 650W Leadex III's with 7 year warranties at the moment I'd say it's a decent buy.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £124.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Associate
OP
Thanks Gray, I was actually looking at this exact PSU and the 1000w one as a replacement, and yup, these are a re-branded Seasonic Prime PSU. Only difference I guess is how the warranty is deal with, which after speaking with Seasonic it's the best company for RMA I've ever dealt with. Submitted a query about the PSU and they read and responded within 5 minutes! They told me to RMA it with them for a Focus GX replacement unit and the advanced RMA will take 24-48 hours and they will send a PSU before they receive the faulty unit back. So I wont be without a PC basically, as this current fault unit only cuts out whilst gaming and after a couple of hours.

I will test the waters anyway and see if it's worth selling on, as I do think I'll likely need a bigger capacity PSU for the next round of cards, the 400w rumour sounds about realistic to be honest.

Associate
Well after some digging and an email to Seasonic I have some answers at least! Seasonic themselves have told me that my unit has a known fault that was revised in 2018 (ripple or something on high end GPU's, which I suppose a 2070s is semi high end...), but the Focus Plus I have is end of life, so whilst they do have stock they advised that if I would like to start an RMA they will replace it with a Focus GX model instead. Strangely the also said if I pay them 75 euros they will do an advanced RMA and refund the 75 euros upon receiving my unit. 1-3 day turnaround according to their site...

As for the Phanteks unit, still wondering if I should just replace my PSU anyway, as I'll be getting the new RTX 3080ti/3090 when they arrive (2070s is useless at 3440x1440p 144hz). The Phanteks Revolt is apparently a rebadged Seasonic Prime unit, albeit with a different fan and packaging. Sensible head says suffer a few days without a PSU and upgrade if/when needed, as my GPU pulls 260w, CPU 124w and whatever the rest comes to I doubt it anywhere near the 650w. I'd be surprised if it's pulling 500w at the wall...

I fell foul of that issue.

Bought a vega 64 and the PC would randomly switch off after a few mins gaming

I was lucky I found the statement they made only a couple of days before about the issue. I think it only affected units made before Dec 2018 and I bought mine on the 1st Jan

Seasonic were really good though offering to send a replacement and cover the cost of sending the old unit back. Really quick response times also.

Currently, looking for a new PSU and automatically went looking for another seasonic but lack of stock are pushing me towards the phanteks.

Associate
OP
I fell foul of that issue.

Bought a vega 64 and the PC would randomly switch off after a few mins gaming

I was lucky I found the statement they made only a couple of days before about the issue. I think it only affected units made before Dec 2018 and I bought mine on the 1st Jan

Seasonic were really good though offering to send a replacement and cover the cost of sending the old unit back. Really quick response times also.

Currently, looking for a new PSU and automatically went looking for another seasonic but lack of stock are pushing me towards the phanteks.

Obviously it's not ideal they had this issue, I had the psu from launch as they came out just as I built my PC. Still, it was fine up until I got the 2070 super and they now have me as a customer for life as this was the slickest RMA I've ever encountered.

I got the replacement unit next day, told them about my health issues and getting to return the faulty one would take some time as I'm reliant on my wife and family due to having to shield. Wasn't an issue to them, very understanding. To top it off the unit they sent was a GX unit of higher output and quality. Whole process blew me away to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom