Teachers saying "you would amount to nothing"

Caporegime
My primary school had some *********, one in particular that used to grab and shake you. This was in the mid 80's as well. After one shaking session i walked out and went home, told my parents and they came up to the Headmaster raging about it. Typically though the school managed to wriggle their way out of it in the end.

Another teacher that i had from p1-p3 was another old ******* i hope had a horrible death. She used to relish embarrassing pupils in front of the class, i remember one time in my homework some of it was smudged due to a glass of water. I had a note with my to explain what happened and this old **** basically read it out in front of the class and made a massive issue out of it. For whatever reason more often than not i was the fallguy for her and anything at all was blown out of all proportion I swear if i could go back in time i'd trail both those ***** out by the hair and give them a good kicking.

Soldato
My primary school had some *********, one in particular that used to grab and shake you. This was in the mid 80's as well. After one shaking session i walked out and went home, told my parents and they came up to the Headmaster raging about it. Typically though the school managed to wriggle their way out of it in the end.

Another teacher that i had from p1-p3 was another old ******* i hope had a horrible death. She used to relish embarrassing pupils in front of the class, i remember one time in my homework some of it was smudged due to a glass of water. I had a note with my to explain what happened and this old **** basically read it out in front of the class and made a massive issue out of it. For whatever reason more often than not i was the fallguy for her and anything at all was blown out of all proportion I swear if i could go back in time i'd trail both those ***** out by the hair and give them a good kicking.

You sound like you went to my school in Omagh lol.

Soldato
Surely less than 40k a year is not "successful" for a uni graduate?

That's skilled labour levels, college/vocational stuff

Haha. A lot of professions probably pay less than you think. My field (Engineering), for one.

The ONS say the median UK average wage is £30,400, though that’s only for full time workers. “Success” is subjective, but if you’re earning above the UK average, then you’re not doing badly.

That figure will be skewed by London and the SE, anyway. They are the only regions above the UK average. In my region of the East Mids, it’s £27,800.

Soldato
That figure will be skewed by London and the SE, anyway. They are the only regions above the UK average. In my region of the East Mids, it’s £27,800.

If you have enough income to live a reasonably comfortable life and most importantly feel happy and healthy then that's successful in my book.

There's more to life than Gucci belts :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeh money doesn't always Equal happiness, but financial security definitely helps, I'm a min wage guy but getting to hang on the beach and go surfing feels like success as does been mortgage free in an amazing house and place.
Prefer this to 50k iin west Yorkshire where I was 6 yrs ago

Man of Honour
If you have enough income to live a reasonably comfortable life and most importantly feel happy and healthy then that's successful in my book.

There's more to life than Gucci belts :)
But life is all the sweeter if your kecks know you are a boss.

Soldato
I remember as kid one of two of the teachers at my primary and secondary school would say things like "you will never amount to anything" and "you will be a bin man when you're older"

Now i'm not sure if teachers still say the same sort of things to kids these days but looking back now I am around their age (36) I can safely say they were wrong and am probably on at least 2 or 3 times the average teachers salary. I highly expect some of them will still be working now, maybe as elderly substitute teachers having to top up their pension in their 60s :D

Did your teachers ever say your would amount to nothing and would like to shove it in their face that they were wrong?

I've heard folk say this before and it usually means they got lucky with a job/business idea/windfall as opposed to getting qualifications and working their way up in their chosen field.

Also what is wrong with being a bin man?

Soldato
OP
I've heard folk say this before and it usually means they got lucky with a job/business idea/windfall as opposed to getting qualifications and working their way up in their chosen field.

Also what is wrong with being a bin man?

Well that's wrong. I've got qualification from college, university and some certs and worked my way up from a basic role in my area of work.

Nothings wrong with being a bin man. I hear waste management in general is quite well paid. Maybe in the 70/80s it wasn't

Soldato
I'll echo the 'you are happy then you are successful'

Know plenty of rich well off high earners who are very much not happy with their life in general,money has not helped their personal life etc

Used to have a stuck up English teacher who loved to pick on people who were not well off or very bright, complete ********.
A French teacher who also loved to praise the gifted and hated the ones who were not so good and would make you stand up as an example for getting things wrong and get the class to join in with the humiliation.

Hated school.

Soldato
Yup, had 1 college lecturer tell me I'd end up with nothing selling drugs on the street. I took great delight in responding that I was already selling drugs *wait for a moment to let it sink in* in my Saturday job as a pharmacy assistant. Should have seen his face XD

Then we got him sacked*.

* mostly unrelated, the guy was generally a **** anyway, spent most of our lectures trying to sell us this "growing plants" gardening program** "he" had written.

I say "he" but actually he'd gotten his mail order Philippino wife's family to do it for him! (he even brought her in a few times to "show off" how successful he was :p)

** this was where the whole "selling drugs" thing started actually, I asked if it had instructions for how to grow weed as I was having some trouble (yeah I guess I was a bit of a knob back then too :p)
I'm sure it was you who got him sacked...

Soldato
I went to school with a guy who was told he wouldn't amount to much. Things certainly worked out for him all right. A millionaire at 26! Fred Holden he was called, he was in our dorm. God, he was thick. Thickie Holden, we used to call him. 'Hello, Thickie! How's your acne, Thickie?' He always used to come bottom in geography. He thought a glacier was a bloke who fixed windows. I mean he ended up inventing the tension sheet, it's just the stuff they used to use in packing paper. All he did was to paint it red and cut it into small squares and you know who he married? -- Sabrina Mulholland-JJones.

Soldato
The amounting to nothing type phrase is an interesting one. It is almost meaningless without knowing an individuals definition of success and how high their bar is set.

If your bar is set at a very high level and your definition doesn't particularly relate to money or material wealth, then you wouldn't necessarily say that someone with a nice house, car and high salary is particularly successful. There will likely be millions of people with an even nicer house, faster car and higher paying job. Lower the bar and define success by money and material wealth and you would say the same person has done incredibly well.

Soldato
I'm sure it was you who got him sacked...

It almost certainly was actually - obviously not just me, but our whole class arranged a meeting with the head of department and raised our concerns, a couple of weeks later the guy "left".

So possibly coincidence, but more likely the guy had a "talking to" and was either "let go" or told to improve and decided it wasn't worth the hassle

Soldato
It almost certainly was actually - obviously not just me, but our whole class arranged a meeting with the head of department and raised our concerns, a couple of weeks later the guy "left".

So possibly coincidence, but more likely the guy had a "talking to" and was either "let go" or told to improve and decided it wasn't worth the hassle

A Head of Department has no say over a staff members employment. Even back then.

Most likely the teacher was fed up of negative nancy students and found employment at a different location.

Soldato
A Head of Department has no say over a staff members employment. Even back then.

Most likely the teacher was fed up of negative nancy students and found employment at a different location.

Strange, because that same head of department was also responsible for getting me a job at the same college (2 in fact, on 2 separate occasions).

I mean, what you're basically saying is that there is no way a lecturer will ever be let go, regardless of how poor their teaching quality is or how many complaints they get from students.
Whilst that would explain a lot about the British education system today, I find it very hard to believe, and it certainly doesn't tie in with my experiences, both as a student and a member of staff (both teaching staff and IT - when you're asked to lock someone's account immediately and kill all their active sessions, it generally doesn't indicate that they've decided to leave happily under their own free will) .

But I shall bow down to your superior knowledge on the matter, I'm sure you're right and it was all just a massive coincidence on all occasions ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom