HP Reverb G2 uk release date?

Soldato
I can say that the Quest is really quite usable in reality so it's probably the index and the G2 making the RiftS look bad by comparison rather than the RiftS just being straight up bad.

The problem I have with the Quest is that when Im using it, it feels like I don't have my contacts in. I don't know if you have good eyesight (if so you won't know what its feels like). But its the exact same sensation of trying to read text at a certain distance away that is not resolved properly. Looking forward to the G2 getting close to 20:20 vision at distance, that will be what I'm looking for in a headset.

Soldato
I am fortunate to have good vision but I know what you mean... it is all a little blurry.

Some games do a better job than others working with what they've got - Alyx for example manages to look pretty crisp and clean for the most part on the quest. Robo recall is another good example where the art style seems to hide the shortcomings of the screen very well. I think sims suffer especially badly because they have a lot of fine text detail up close and your view port to the outside world is often quite a limited part of the screen - ie through a window. That window only takes up a relatively small part of the screen so you have a very limited number of pixels to work with to show you what you need to see... In games that use the full screen to convey that info you have a lot more pixels to work with to achieve the overall effect.

What I can say for sure is i'm super excited to try the G2 after seeing that comparison!

Associate
I think the index is even more impressive when you consider that it goes up to 144hz and manages to pack in an extra 15 or so degrees FoV... clearly from that demo the G2 has stellar image quality but the index isn't miles behind considering its other advantages. If the prices were closer it would be a very hard decision!

If the Index as a full kit was £600 it'd be a no-brainer. Clean enough, wider FOV, better controllers, etc. But I can't justify £915 or whatever it is, for better controllers and improved tracking. I'd rather put that difference into a 3070 Super/Ti/Whatever later in the year or early next instead. I bet the Index will be better supported and likely will better hold value too, but the G2 hits my price point and just seems a bit more future proofed than the Rift S. Now if this new Quest leak turned into an Index/G2 competitor wired, with the bonus of wireless, that might change things, but I suspect it's too soon for anything more than optimisations to the current headset.

Agree, the Rift S is still a good headset, better controllers, and for everything but Sim Racing it's probably a better choice than the G2. Part of me still thinks it should be my first headset, but I'd end up wanting to upgrade to better and that's not an easy sell to the wife. :) It also does feel like Oculus are focusing on the wireless, PC-less market, which could be huge - it's taken me so long to get into VR because I left PC 15 years ago and only came back last month, mostly for my teenage son. Now I'm back, I am hooked on sim racing.

Associate
The problem I have with the Quest is that when Im using it, it feels like I don't have my contacts in. I don't know if you have good eyesight (if so you won't know what its feels like). But its the exact same sensation of trying to read text at a certain distance away that is not resolved properly. Looking forward to the G2 getting close to 20:20 vision at distance, that will be what I'm looking for in a headset.

I've hit that age where even with my glasses on, trying to read text closer than an arms length away is getting more and more difficult. :D

Soldato
I've hit that age where even with my glasses on, trying to read text closer than an arms length away is getting more and more difficult. :D

Best thing about VR is due to the arms-length focal distance my presbyopia is not an issue. :D

If only my myopia, astigmatism and blepharitus could be fixed so easily. :rolleyes:

Soldato
TIL what blepharitis is...

zero don't tell me that, I'm trying to avoid spending more money!

Blephartis is dry eyes. So I've got age related long sight, short sight, oblate eyeballs and dry eyes. Amazed VR works for me at all! I do have prescription lenses for all my headsets though.

Associate
TIL what blepharitis is...

zero don't tell me that, I'm trying to avoid spending more money!

CD Keys have the main game for a decent price at the moment. I had a couple of clean online races in the GT4 class on ACC this morning. Hopefully all the trolls are on the free tracks in RR.

Soldato
When the UK had misspriced it I ordered from Germany. They took cash right away too.
Worse still on cancelling after i ordered from UK direct for warranty purposes.... I got £34 less back due to currency covernsions.

Lesson learned there.

Soldato
The only red flag thus far was Systemactive blindsiding us on the actual release. They've changed it now to a pre-order discount, which you'd have thought would have been significant enough to not warrant an error in the first place.

I hope it was just HP sending out mixed messages. Clearly from seba's video things aren't finalised yet, so wise to not put a date on it.

That said, the images he showed looked glorious. The Index wants for nothing, but they were definitely a step up.

Soldato
When the UK had misspriced it I ordered from Germany. They took cash right away too.
Worse still on cancelling after i ordered from UK direct for warranty purposes.... I got £34 less back due to currency covernsions.

Lesson learned there.

I would highly recommend using something like revolut to pay in foreign currencies in future - the spread is so much smaller than traditional banks... you could move money from one currency to another and back again while losing almost nothing in the process. For example currently it's 0.9050 euros to the pound, and 1.0933 pounds to the euro - for changing £500 into 546 euros, you would end up with £494 when changing it back, so only a loss of £6. Obviously you asking for a refund is perhaps an unusual situation but even in a no refund situation you get better value and no foreign currency transaction fees either.

Soldato
I would highly recommend using something like revolut to pay in foreign currencies in future - the spread is so much smaller than traditional banks... you could move money from one currency to another and back again while losing almost nothing in the process. For example currently it's 0.9050 euros to the pound, and 1.0933 pounds to the euro - for changing £500 into 546 euros, you would end up with £494 when changing it back, so only a loss of £6. Obviously you asking for a refund is perhaps an unusual situation but even in a no refund situation you get better value and no foreign currency transaction fees either.
Good advice thanks

Associate
Tempted to jump back into VR. Had a HTC Vive but sold it as image quality just wasn't good enough. Looking at the G2 image quality now seems good enough. Was just going to wait for wireless in the future but now getting the itch.

Only downside is tracking if it was base stations like index i think id be more tempted. My PC is in my Projector room so its fully light controlled.

Am i correct in saying tracking on G2 requires the room to be lit up? I could move my PC but i like it linked to my Projector for ease of use.

Soldato
Yes, the controllers emit their own IR light but the headset will need to be able to see its surroundings somewhat to track it’s own position in space.

If having (visible) lights on is an issue, I imagine it would likely work with an IR illuminator as people have managed to do with rift S & quest but I guess it’s not guaranteed until someone tries it!

Plus that technically means you get night vision in passthrough, which is cool.

Back
Top Bottom