LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
If you believe the internet, OLED's are damaged by everything. Of course, they will degrade over time, but the warmth I can feel isn't insane so I will therefore carry on as normal.

edit: Just decided I needed a special gold shielded power cable for it. As well as a supercooled water cooling setup for the back panel. 144Hz now suckerz. ;)

The Panasonic GZ 2000 OLED has a metal back plate to transfer the heat away from the panel so runs cooler than any other OLED, i think LG could have done something like this but it would have meant a higher price to pay.

Those Panasonic's can be had for a ridiculously good price right now too. It's just a shame I'm so restricted by space.

Associate
...These are designed to be purchased in hot countries too so imagine it's a non issue.

LG to recall some OLED TVs due to overheating issue

LG Electronics is recalling around 60,000 OLED TVs that were sold in South Korea to replace their power boards due to possible overheating issues, the company said.

It will affect 18 different models of OLED TV sold from February 2016 to September 2019.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-to-recall-some-oled-tvs-due-to-overheating-issue/

Soldato
I read the LG CX 48" chucks out a ton of heat from the back over the more standard LCD/LED panels, has anyone else noticed this ?

think it was over on reddit, someone said heat really can damage these LG oleds, and he wished LG put actual heatsinks on them like the Panasonic oleds do.

Do you have a source for this? I did a quick google and couldn't find any evidence of overheating for CX OLEDS in the UK. I can see the Korean recall, but that affected models sold only in Korea from February 2016 to September 2019. We've had loads of C8, C9, B8, B9 owners over the years, these are built in a very similar way (no extra metal panel that the Panasonics oleds have) and I've yet to hear about a widespread overheating issue on these.

The reviewers (hdtv test) and others pick a panel apart completely when testing, so this is likely something that would have been picked up on.

Mine outputs some heat if I touch the back panel (the thick part), though this is where the TV is designed to radiate heat from. Certainly more than my 27" monitor, but much less than an older 40" TV I have here.

The maximum power the TV can draw is 89W - that's very low for a panel this size. The power draw determines the heat output after all.

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Do you have a source for this? I did a quick google and couldn't find any evidence of overheating for CX OLEDS. The reviewers (hdtv test) and others pick a panel apart completely when testing, so this is likely something that would have been picked up on.

Mine outputs some heat if I touch the back panel (the thick part), though this is where the TV is designed to radiate heat from. Certainly more than my 27" monitor, but much less than an older 40" TV I have here.

The maximum power the TV can draw is 89W - that's very low for a panel this size. The power draw determines the heat output after all.

I was just looking for the article but can't find it sadly, I can't be 100% positive if it was directed at cx48 or cx series but it was with regard to LG oled panels since it was on the LG oled reddit section, and I was just reading what some cx48 owners were saying about their screens.

The guy mentioned LG oleds picture apparently failing more as a result due to the heat output and that Panasonic use heatsinks so don't overheat or put out much heat in comparision.

But I googled some other different similar debates here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/eu7e3b/is_it_normal_for_oled_tv_to_get_extremely_hot_i/

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/9gnjxl/what_is_the_oled_heat_output_compared_to_regular/

The info is conflicting a few oled owners say OLEDs produce less heat then LED/QLEDs due to their tech and no back light and then one guy says oled actually will get hotter since it uses more power to produce lighter colours then led/qleds.

Perhaps anyone with a LED/Qled TV and LG CX can run an identical 4K looped demo on both sets and then stick their hand behind it, but I understand that is asking the lottery :)

Soldato
Here is a thread on the overheating green blob of doom issue, with an LG technician confirming it:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/help-green-spot-in-middle-of-lg-oled.2154188/

Your link is a thread from February 2018, on LG's forum. They are discussing older models of OLED. Are you aware this is the CX thread, and that the CX models were released recently, in 2020? Am I missing something here, or are you just being deliberately daft?

I get the feeling that those posting the most negative opinions/speculations (first of all burn in, then panel uniformity, now overheating issues) are those who are unable to get an OLED for whatever reason, and would sleep better at night believing that these are plagued with issues, as they don't have one. I could be completely wrong, but that's the way I see it.

Soldato
I was just looking for the article but can't find it sadly, I can't be 100% positive if it was directed at cx48 or cx series but it was with regard to LG oled panels since it was on the LG oled reddit section, and I was just reading what some cx48 owners were saying about their screens.

The guy mentioned LG oleds picture apparently failing more as a result due to the heat output and that Panasonic use heatsinks so don't overheat or put out much heat in comparision.

But I googled some other different similar debates here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/eu7e3b/is_it_normal_for_oled_tv_to_get_extremely_hot_i/

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/9gnjxl/what_is_the_oled_heat_output_compared_to_regular/

The info is conflicting a few oled owners say OLEDs produce less heat then LED/QLEDs due to their tech and no back light and then one guy says oled actually will get hotter since it uses more power to produce lighter colours then led/qleds.

Perhaps anyone with a LED/Qled TV and LG CX can run an identical 4K looped demo on both sets and then stick their hand behind it, but I understand that is asking the lottery :)

Your first link is from 5 months ago, where someone commented that their LG C9 OLED felt hot to touch. He doesn't mention any performance issue due to the heat. Perhaps best to post this in the C9 thread here, as this is the CX thread?

Your second link is from September 2018, where someone asks a random question of if OLEDS emit more heat than LCD panels. I fail to see how this equates to an overheating problem on the CX range?

Caporegime
Your link is a thread from February 2018, on LG's forum. They are discussing older models of OLED. Are you aware this is the CX thread, and that the CX models were released recently, in 2020? Am I missing something here, or are you just being deliberately daft?

Agree with this part, people are perhaps not doing enough fact-checking before posting.

I get the feeling that those posting the most negative opinions/speculations (first of all burn in, then panel uniformity, now overheating issues) are those who are unable to get an OLED for whatever reason, and would sleep better at night believing that these are plagued with issues, as they don't have one. I could be completely wrong, but that's the way I see it.

You're being childish with this part.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Your first link is from 5 months ago, where someone commented that their LG C9 OLED felt hot to touch. He doesn't mention any performance issue due to the heat. Perhaps best to post this in the C9 thread here, as this is the CX thread?

Your second link is from September 2018, where someone asks a random question of if OLEDS emit more heat than LCD panels. I fail to see how this equates to an overheating problem on the CX range?

Sorry for the confusement its just something I read over at reddit while I was researching for the CX48 OLED, I am not suggesting what a reddit comment was 100% but I will edit my question to say does anyone notice excessive heat from there cx48 panel ?

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Would appreciate it if more CX48 owners could compare the heat output on the back of their TV and if possible compare it to an LCD/LED panel.

Maybe after family have been using it for a few hours use though...

Soldato
Would appreciate it if more CX48 owners could compare the heat output on the back of their TV and if possible compare it to an LCD/LED panel.

Maybe after family have been using it for a few hours use though...

I got LG 48cx and oled 55b9

Could compare oled to oled

Soldato
been on for an hour with hdr (cx) its ever so slighty warmer (like 2c if that)
the 55b9 has been watching non-hdr
will report back if see any further differences

Soldato
Yet another interpretation of 'competitive' means 'pro-gamer. LOL! :rolleyes:

Agreed. I expect most people who are somewhat serious in to their gaming might still be put off by the lag. Even though the panel no doubt offers great response times, amazing contrast etc. You don’t have to be an eSports or pro gamer to be put off by that kind of lag figure

I thought it'd be obvious I meant anyone who takes gaming THAT seriously, pro-gamer, competitive... all pretty much the same thing at the end of the day. I didn't solely mean the 0.001% who compete at Esports events. I can't believe anyone would actually think the 48CX is remotely suitable for competitive gameplay. 13.3ms is obviously far from ideal if someone has that in mind, but even if it were faster, the 48" size would be extremely prohibitive in itself and a massive hindrance given the amount of head movement required. Otherwise it's fine though. Unless someone is super sensitive to these things, in which case, well, I feel sorry for them having endure the long list of atrocities that LCD suffers. In every other respect, OLED wipes the floor... the 48" size here is the biggest issue for the majority.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
been on for an hour with hdr (cx) its ever so slighty warmer (like 2c if that)
the 55b9 has been watching non-hdr
will report back if see any further differences

cheers much appreciated, does not sound bad at all and just the usual amount of heat most tvs do.

Associate
Hi folks I have a similar problem. As of last night my pc was happily connected to my Samsung Smart TV via HDMI from my graphics card. Tried to boot up & all I get is a blank screen. Its as if the pc is not connected. So I've tried different HDMI cables i've even tried a different TV same problem no input. I opened up my pc just to make sure everything is connected & all seemsfine. I took out my Radeon RX 580 8192MB graphics card & connected directly from the motherboard to both amsung & Sony TV's, and yes you've guessed it no input.
I'm completely lost, the pc was a self build & i've had it less than year can anyone please help.
My PC specs are
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core 4.2GHz
MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Team Group Vulcan TUF Gaming Alliance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel
PowerColour Radeon RX 580 Red Dragon V2 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5" SATA 6Gbps SSD
1000GB HDD
Zalman S3 Midi Tower Case

Soldato
Hi folks I have a similar problem. As of last night my pc was happily connected to my Samsung Smart TV via HDMI from my graphics card. Tried to boot up & all I get is a blank screen. Its as if the pc is not connected. So I've tried different HDMI cables i've even tried a different TV same problem no input. I opened up my pc just to make sure everything is connected & all seemsfine. I took out my Radeon RX 580 8192MB graphics card & connected directly from the motherboard to both amsung & Sony TV's, and yes you've guessed it no input.
I'm completely lost, the pc was a self build & i've had it less than year can anyone please help.
My PC specs are
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core 4.2GHz
MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Team Group Vulcan TUF Gaming Alliance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel
PowerColour Radeon RX 580 Red Dragon V2 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5" SATA 6Gbps SSD
1000GB HDD
Zalman S3 Midi Tower Case

Hi

Try disabling quick start it's under the general settings/ additional settings tab.

Associate
Hi Buddy are you talking about quick start on my TV? or PC?
I've reset my Samsung smart tv & it recognises PS4 but not pc. When I try to boot up pc fans are working & internal mystic lights are on a constant red, which they shouldn't be

Back
Top Bottom