Need Car Upgrade Suggestions - £20k Budget

Associate
Hi all,

Currently I have a 1.4TSI SE Mk6 Golf - It's on a 59 plate and I absolutely cannot fault the car, it's been a great motor and has seen me through my twenties with very few issues.

Nevertheless, I've decided I fancy treating myself to something newer. I travel 30 miles to work everyday on the motorway, so MPG (45+) is key for me but I'd like a bit of a power upgrade also.

Been looking around, found something like the below which i think might be a good option?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202007151288312

Practicality isn't really a factor as it's usually just me in the car but I'm looking for suggestions. I have thought about just upgrading to a newer Golf, but it seems kind of silly to go from a 1.4TSI to another 1.4TSI Golf that's just a bit newer and spend a good chunk of cash to do so.

All responses appreciated!

Cheers,
Adam

Man of Honour

Why do we always do that on this forum?

He wants a 'bit of a power upgrade' from a not very powerful car, that doesn't mean he wants a 300bhp mega hatch. He's even linked to the sort of thing he's thinking of - a diesel A class of all things.

He'd be far better off with a newer and or lower mileage 120i or something. His budget would likely just about get him a new shape A Class, a much better car than the old model 1 Series.

People who want a 300bhp car don't ask the internet what they think of a bottom of the range A220 diesel.

Associate
OP
Hmm not sure an A Class would be my first choice. BMW 4 series or 5 series? To some a BMW 530D is the best car in the world.

Always been a bit wary of BMWs given the majority are RWD and I've heard a few horror stories when it snows - might be easily sorted and please correct me if i'm wrong!

Associate
OP

He wants a 'bit of a power upgrade' from a not very powerful car, that doesn't mean he wants a 300bhp mega hatch. He's even linked to the sort of thing he's thinking of - a diesel A class of all things.

He'd be far better off with a newer and or lower mileage 120i or something.

People who want a 300bhp car don't ask the internet what they think of a bottom of the range A220 diesel.

Hit the nail on the head here, not after a 300BHP hot hatch by any means.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime

He'd be far better off with a newer and or lower mileage 120i or something. His budget would likely just about get him a new shape A Class, a much better car than the old model 1 Series.

Oh I know, I just put it out there. I think a lot of us on here have a bias towards cool cars, but yes in reality most people need more mundane choices.

The newer A Class is a better car if you're not after a hot hatch.

Man of Honour
Been impressed with the a180d real mpg figures i've seen but not sure if that would actually be a downgrade in power?

Current Golf supposedly produces 122bhp but the extra torque from the a180d might feel faster?

The A200 isn't bad, sounds good too. 161bhp.

Soldato
Been impressed with the a180d real mpg figures i've seen but not sure if that would actually be a downgrade in power?

this had caught my eye on a180d https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/108247/new-volkswagen-golf-2020-review

We haven’t driven a Golf 2.0 TDI with standard suspension – MacPherson struts at the front and multi-link at the rear – or indeed the entry-level 108bhp 1.0-litre, which ditches the multi-link at the back and relies on a more humble torsion beam. But judging by the old Golf and our Portuguese test route’s smooth roads, the general rule of thumb will probably apply – the larger the wheel size, the greater need for the adaptive dampers

Those two different standard suspension set-ups of a rudimentary torsion bar for the lowly Golf and more a sophisticated multi-link for the posher versions, is a trick used ...

The model you choose determines the sort of rear suspension set-up you’ll get. The A 250 gets a multi-link rear setup, as does the A 200 AMG Line. The A180 d, however, gets a less sophisticated, cheaper torsion beam set-up. The torsion beam lacks the overall control of the multi-link, but you need to be seriously pressing-on for this to be a noticeable issue.
negotiating a roundabout ?

handling should be a purchase criteria, for op too ?

Soldato
If you already have something that is reliable and suitable for your needs, why would you buy something for up to 20k that is going to do the same job and still be pretty mundane in all aspects? Keeping your current car and spending half that on a weekend car that's fun or upgrading to something actually appealing to drive perhaps for less money sounds more appealing, or is that just me? This would be different if you had no car, or something old and unreliable with poor mpg.

Soldato
If you already have something that is reliable and suitable for your needs, why would you buy something for up to 20k that is going to do the same job and still be pretty mundane in all aspects? Keeping your current car and spending half that on a weekend car that's fun or upgrading to something actually appealing to drive perhaps for less money sounds more appealing, or is that just me? This would be different if you had no car, or something old and unreliable with poor mpg.
Consider that the massive interior quality, feature and UX upgrade from a 10 year old Golf to a nearly new A Class is just as much of a factor for some people as something that an enthusiast considers 'appealing to drive'. Otherwise we'd all be driving Westfields.

At the 20k price point, for something nearly new, similar to a Golf, the A200 petrol offers a fantastic all round package.

Back
Top Bottom