Powershell help please - Adding to a Firewall rule

Commissario
Hi folks,

I have a firewall rule set in Windows Firewall to block some external IPs and I'd like to add a number of ranges.

I'm using the script as described here.

Code:
$csv = Import-Csv -Path 'C:\Scripts\test.csv'
$data = @()
$csv | ForEach-Object { $data += $_.From + "-" + $_.To }
Set-NetFirewallRule -Name "{6929A9BF-26E7-47D9-BF8B-4602AFE7F489}" -RemoteAddress $data

I wanted to run it on a few IPs first, just to make sure it works before I add loads.

My test.csv file looks like this:

Code:
From,To

However, when I run the script, it appears to run and finishes with no errors but nothing has been added to the rule. At least, when I check the Scope, nothing has been added.

If I try running the set-netfirewallrule command by itself just to add a single IP, the same happens. It appears to run but nothing is added. I am running Powershell as an administrator.

Running Windows 10. Can anyone suggest what might be wrong please? This looks pretty straightforward but I can't see why it's failing.

Thanks.

Soldato
Hi folks,

I have a firewall rule set in Windows Firewall to block some external IPs and I'd like to add a number of ranges.

I'm using the script as described here.

Code:
$csv = Import-Csv -Path 'C:\Scripts\test.csv'
$data = @()
$csv | ForEach-Object { $data += $_.From + "-" + $_.To }
Set-NetFirewallRule -Name "{6929A9BF-26E7-47D9-BF8B-4602AFE7F489}" -RemoteAddress $data

I wanted to run it on a few IPs first, just to make sure it works before I add loads.

My test.csv file looks like this:

Code:
From,To

However, when I run the script, it appears to run and finishes with no errors but nothing has been added to the rule. At least, when I check the Scope, nothing has been added.

If I try running the set-netfirewallrule command by itself just to add a single IP, the same happens. It appears to run but nothing is added. I am running Powershell as an administrator.

Running Windows 10. Can anyone suggest what might be wrong please? This looks pretty straightforward but I can't see why it's failing.

Thanks.

I know you've got a workaround, but I like a challenge.

1. What's the GUID in -name? is the guild the actual name of the firewall rule you are trying to change?
2. Set- changes a rule that already exists, I'm assuming that's the case
3. What does -verbose show?
4. Because you are not using CIDR notation, line 1 and line 2 of the CSV are subnet masking. Instead, line 1 should just be 1.0.1.0,1.0.3.255

Commissario
OP
Thanks for the reply :)

1 - I tried with DisplayName and when it failed, I went with Name and the GUID. Yes, that's the correct one for the rule.
2 - Yup, the rule exists
3 - Dunno and honestly, I'm not that bothered because Peerblock is doing what I want. I've imported the IP list and job's a good 'un.
4 - Gotcha

Soldato
Thanks for the reply :)

1 - I tried with DisplayName and when it failed, I went with Name and the GUID. Yes, that's the correct one for the rule.
2 - Yup, the rule exists
3 - Dunno and honestly, I'm not that bothered because Peerblock is doing what I want. I've imported the IP list and job's a good 'un.
4 - Gotcha

Most odd. I literally just copied what you had above, but only the two lines in my CSV file and changed the instancename accordingly and bingo:

ZiUKIL2.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom