Top Gun: Maverick

Soldato
He is. i beleive he was training for Last Samurai about a year before they began production. say what you want, you can't fault his passion or dedication to each project he's on.

Caporegime
I've always thought that TC has been one of the most involved and hands on actors of the last 20 years, yeah? Ignore his beliefs. He just delivers consistently.

Yep, the guy is the one of the last superstar actors.

Scientology is ridiculous, but nobody ever has a bad word to say about the man and his dedication to the movies he makes and produces is absolute.

Associate
I'm a huge Top Gun fan and I can't wait to see the new movie too. It's a shame it was put back to December but, well, it is what it is.
As for the cast/characters for the new movie, here's what I was able to find out but this isn't confirmed as yet....

Tom Cruise as Captain Pete "Maverick" Mitchell, a test pilot and flight instructor.

Jon Hamm as Vice Admiral Sam "Merlin" Wells, who replaces Tim Robbins from the first film. (Merlin became Vice Admiral?)

Ed Harris as Rick "Jester" Heatherly, a rear admiral, who is Maverick's superior. The role was originally played by Michael Ironside in the first film. (So Ed harris is going to be Jester in Top Gun 2?)

Val Kilmer as Admiral Tom "Iceman" Kazansky, a fellow instructor and friend/former rival of Maverick. Now a four-star admiral and in charge of Naval Operations.

Charles Parnell as Rear Admiral Marcus "Sundown" Williams, who is Maverick's old colleague in the old-time and once served as Maverick's RIO after Goose's death. The role was originally played by Clarence Gilyard in the first film. (So sundown became a Rear Admiral?)

Jake Picking as Ron "Slider" Kerner. The role was originally played by Rick Rossovich in the first film. (another strange one when you look at how old the actor is https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4917623/mediaviewer/rm2113176577)

Raymond Lee as Commander Mike "Viper" Metcalf. The role was originally played by Tom Skerritt in the first film. (This is another strange one as the actor doesn't look old enough to play Viper in the new film. He also looks nothing like him. One can only assume the makeup dept is very good).

Lyliana Wray as Charlotte "Charlie" Blackwood (Yes, this is news to me too. Although I can't see how this person fits in with playing Charlie as the actress is very young. She has been Tweeting a lot about Top Gun 2 though.)

Jean Louisa Kelly as Carole Bradshaw, Goose's widowed wife, and Rooster's mother. Kelly replaces Meg Ryan who played Carole in the first film.

Associate
So, just how many 'Top Gun' years have passed since the first movie was released?

Yes, the original movie was released in 1986 but the movie was never actually date stamped with any kind of reference.

In one of the first scenes of the movie it just said "Present-day....".

The best way to work out how many 'Top Gun' years the producers want to have passed since the first movie is by using the approximate age of Gooses son in the first movie.

In those bar scenes, he looked to be around 4 years of age.

In the new movie, it's fair to say he could be between 20 and 24? Feel free to add your own thoughts of how old he could be in the new movie.

But based on him being 4 in the first movie and 20-24 in the second movie it means that 16 - 20 years have passed since the first movie.

This may or may not help when trying to guess the age of the other characters who were in the 1st and the 2nd movie.

As an example, Penny Benjamin was never seen in the movie but Maverick went 'ballistic' over here in the first movie. With Maverick being very early 20's it would be safe to assume that Penny would have been 18 - early 20's.

So, 16 - 20 years later (IF Mavericks love interest is Penny in Top Gun 2) then she should be around 34 - 40 in Top Gun 2.

We've seen clips of her in the trailers and she does look to be around that age.

There is a rumour that Carol Bradshaw will appear in the new movie too. In the first movie, she was mid 20's? so 16 - 20 years later she'd be 40- 45?

Other characters in TG 2 who were in TG 1 include Iceman who is a 4 star Admiral and serves as Chief of Naval Operations. 16 - 20 years after TG 1 he would be around 38 - 42 if he was 22 in the first movie.

It is possible to advance that fast though the US Navy ranks?

We think that the character Marcus "Sundown" Williams is in TG 2 as a Rear Admiral. In the clip from one of the trailers he's the guy that says to Maverick, "They're called orders, Maverick". In that scene, the character looks quite old. But IF that is Sundown from TG 1 then he too would only be around 38 - 40. That character looks much older than that in the clip.

All of this does leave a couple of questions:

1) Just how many years have passed since Top Gun 1
2) Are these characters from Top Gun 1 really also in Top Gun 2?

What do you think?

Soldato
I don't see how they can use different actors where their originals are still living, and expect us to buy into it.
Then again, I expect they're not doing it for us and only using us to trade on our rose-tinted nostalgia, hoping we drag in a younger audience or something...

Associate
My assumption would be based on the number of real years that have passed since 1986 and the number of "film" years that have passed (based on the above post using Gooses sons approx age in the first and second films). In movie terms, there have only been approx 20 years between the two movies if Gooses' son is 24 in the new movie.

You then need to take into account how much the actors from the first movie have aged in the last 30+ years. Plus Michael Ironside had a bust-up with Jerry Bruckheimer and they haven't spoken since so he wasn't invited back to play Jester.

One can only assume the makeup dept is very capable in making some actors appear the right age though.

Soldato
I've always thought that TC has been one of the most involved and hands on actors of the last 20 years, yeah? Ignore his beliefs. He just delivers consistently.

Definitely agree with this.

I think he's absolutely nuts, but he's a fantastic actor and hugely entertaining.

Back
Top Bottom