Post Your Home Cine & HiFi Kit...

Man of Honour
Whathifi said "We found them a little lumpy when placed right up against a wall and achieved the best sonic balance around 30cm out into the room.".

And someone else in a different forum said he preferred them when they were 12-24 inches out from the wall.

Hmm.
Whathifi is a load of nonsense. Find a reputable review.

Soldato
I'm not hugely fussy about audio as long as it sounds decent, but my brother is a 'bit' fussy lol.

We are now wondering if the following will work:

My brother has Genelec M030 speakers. We only have 2 HDMI sources (HTPC and Chromecast). Can we use a HDMI switch to then go into a video interface, send the HDMI to the projector and output to XLR/TRS to the speakers?

Soldato
Got the screen sorted finally. Sapphire 106" really pleased with how it looks.

toGu8Ww.jpg

Can't find a simple way to use the Genelec speakers, so we'll wait until shops are open again and listen to some. What are some recommendations up to £300? New or secondhand.

Soldato
This is what my onkyo looks like right now:

67wPWALh.jpg

excuse the dust, it's ancient :D I suspect the DSP board has failed, so I've removed all the processing boards. Man there's a lot of electronics stuffed in the back of these. What you're seeing in the photo is the transformer at the front and the amplifier section strapped to the heatsink that runs across the middle of the case. Each one of those little mini boards belongs to one channel, each channel has 4x toshiba 80watt A1962 Transistors. A decent amount of current available :)

Anyway, next step is to find the cause, which is probably a bunch of dry caps given it's age, and replace them.

Back to TV audio for the time being *BLURGH*

Last edited:
Soldato
0A7Q5Sj.jpg

Nice little upgrade found on gumtree, minty condition Naim Nait 5i to replace the Onkyo.

Now I just need a new phono stage, having to run the preout from the Onkyo for the turntable atm.

Soldato
How are you finding the 5i? I had one for a while, great sounding amp. They hold there value really well too. I had mine for 2 years and sold it for the same price I got it for.

Soldato
How are you finding the 5i? I had one for a while, great sounding amp. They hold there value really well too. I had mine for 2 years and sold it for the same price I got it for.

Love it so far, big upgrade from the Onkyo 9010 I had before. Just looking for a CD5 to match, bit gutted I dithered over one that was underpriced on eBay at the weekend and missed out.

The Arcam CD62 is pretty decent though. I've added a Rega Fono MM stage since and that's really perked up the Planar 1. When I finally get moved house I'll treat myself to turntable upgrade too.

Soldato
My spare room was being used to store all sorts of rubbish. Decided to turn it in to a retro game room, got hold of an absolutely mint 2002 Philips 32” CRT (I am in love with it!) for £30 and reorganised the room a bit.

Associate
0A7Q5Sj.jpg

Nice little upgrade found on gumtree, minty condition Naim Nait 5i to replace the Onkyo.

Now I just need a new phono stage, having to run the preout from the Onkyo for the turntable atm.

Lovely find! - how much did you manage to get it for ?
I love the sound of Naim, I have some Roksan K3i and K3 PowerAmp, but miss the bold and impactful sound of the NAIM.

Associate
I had a Nait 5i and a CD5i as my first name system and I loved them, though it's a slippery slope into a very expensive world of Naim from there. Is it the original CD5 you are looking at? I did have a CD62 with my Nait at first then got the CD5i which was a decent upgrade.

Dave

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I love the sound of Naim, I have some Roksan K3i and K3 PowerAmp, but miss the bold and impactful sound of the NAIM.
How do you compare Roksan and Naim? I have a Roksan K3 and CD player and I do like them, but feel like there's something missing and I don't know if it's just my ears or not.

Associate
How do you compare Roksan and Naim? I have a Roksan K3 and CD player and I do like them, but feel like there's something missing and I don't know if it's just my ears or not.

Roksan is very restrained and feels very polite, but the Naim is like a bull in a china shop.

The NAIM sound is just a lot more exciting in general. I have a pair of ATC SCM19s so I got bi-amped K3s to keep it happy. So if I did go down the Naim route would need something with a bit of heft

Man of Honour
I've got Monitor Audio Gold 300 floorstanders and I've always felt that the sound is a little tame. I might see if I can find a cheap second hand Naim to try out.

Associate
I've got Monitor Audio Gold 300 floorstanders and I've always felt that the sound is a little tame. I might see if I can find a cheap second hand Naim to try out.

Most AV places will let you do home demos. I only had a Naim Nait 3, and that just created a wall of sound I have not been able to re-create with anything :(

Soldato

maybe you just need a bit more power. I used to have a pair of Monitor Audio GS10s. They were only stand mounters but they needed a decent amp to make them shine. At the time I had a Roksan Kandy Liii and it was a great combo.

As great as the Naim 5i is. It ain’t a powerhouse. I’d be surprised if it drive the 300s any better than the amp you have.

If you can try to get a Roksan power amp then that should give you a nice boost.

Soldato
I just got a Samsung HWQ70T soundbar, am I likely to notice a better sound quality watching normal TV (netflix/sky q) if I connect via HDMI or optical vs bluetooth to my Samsung Frame TV?

I'd prefer to be cable free if possible.

Soldato

430 I paid for the Nait 5i. Not a steal by any means but it's in as new condition.

Pairs well with the Quad 11Ls which were a touch on the mellow side, the Naim really brings them out of their shell.

Added a Rega Fono to feed the Planar 1 from which has been a massive upgrade.

Soldato
OK please be gentle. My tame setup compared to everyone else's... so for my PC I use a pair of Bowers & Wilkins 606 speakers in matte black. These are bi-wired to my Pioneer SX-N30 network stereo receiver which I then have connected to the PC via Optical. The speakers I've had for 3 months and the stereo receiver I've had for about 3 years now. I also have an old 10" Mordaunt Short MS309 sub, which is in light oak. I would like to change this, for no other reason other than just to match the Bowers & Wilkins kit. But it's just about money. When is it not. :)

I'm really pleased with the setup. The 606's replaced an old set of Mordaunt Short Avant 902i speakers. So they are a nice step up for me.

For my TV, I use a Denon AVR-X2400H AV Receiver. This is paired with a setup of Monitor Audio MR4 floor standing speakers in Black. I've had this setup for about 2 years now. Great for the TV and films, great sound, but anything is better than the standard TV speakers. :) I listen to a lot of music both through the PC and the TV and both setups work well for me.

And everything uses QED cables. I think the TV setup is using QED Ruby Anniversary Evolution, and I forget what the PC uses...

I do dust every day but that glass TV stand just seems to be a magnet. lol.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom