Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
I know, not very comforting to see copper in the water.
I don't understand the values, is it just a trace amount you expect to see.

Still, for RO water I would expect everything to be 0!

Last edited:
Soldato
They look fine, the values are micro grams per L, 1ug/l is 0.001 mg/l or 0.001 ppm. Effectively nothing in it, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the water.

Shrimp and fish need copper in the water, just not not excess where it becomes toxic. Pretty much everything is toxic once it gets to a certain level.

I still think you crashed or overwhelmed your filter, all the symptoms you had point to this. The cloudy water is a bacterial bloom which is normally caused by spike of ammonia and/or nitrite in the water. Its very easy for this to happen in a small tank and even easier when messing around with water parameters.

It could have been caused by a whole range of things: over feeding, incorrectly cycled filter, forgetting to dose minerals, overdosed minerals, inconsistently dosed minerals, fish death etc.

Soldato
Can i please have some recommendations for a fish tank heater?
new to this and it s a birthday gift to my son. Got a 25L tank, currently just with water, going to get the fish next week. But seems we need a heater and I can see some with digital water temp sensors etc. No idea what to get but was told 25W heater would be ok?

Soldato
Anyone know what breed of clown fish are best suited to a bubble tip anemone?

Could be wrong, but I pretty sure most clowns are fine with a bubble tip.

Both my tanks keep getting loads of algae, look a right state, about ready to give up.

Been there and done that, unfortuantely I gave up. But may be able to help.

Have you tested your tank water? How about your tap water?
Do you have any plants?
What your fish stock like, any algae eaters in them?
Direct sunlight hitting the tanks?
How long do you have the tank lights on for?

Soldato
I hope other fishkeepers have been keeping a better watch on their tanks than I during this recent heatwave...

At ~2200, I saw one of my Synodontis brichardi swimming at the surface and my Distichous affinis group gasping, to then make the grim discovery of a dead female Synodontis brichardi and my only Synodontis budgetti. :(

Big water change including half dose Seachem Safe due to warm temps. Hopefully there are no more dead fish to find tomorrow morning, everyone in that 6-foot tank is at least 12cm.

Associate
I hope other fishkeepers have been keeping a better watch on their tanks than I during this recent heatwave...

At ~2200, I saw one of my Synodontis brichardi swimming at the surface and my Distichous affinis group gasping, to then make the grim discovery of a dead female Synodontis brichardi and my only Synodontis budgetti. :(

Big water change including half dose Seachem Safe due to warm temps. Hopefully there are no more dead fish to find tomorrow morning, everyone in that 6-foot tank is at least 12cm.

Got a fan or two you can set up to blow across the water surface? I have one hooked up to my temperature controller and it manages to keep the temp stable at 26.5C even when it's been 35+ outside.

Soldato
Got a fan or two you can set up to blow across the water surface? I have one hooked up to my temperature controller and it manages to keep the temp stable at 26.5C even when it's been 35+ outside.

Not that surplus to requirements, nope. But thankfully no more dead fish this morning and I've now got a Powerline XL boosting the water surface rippling, will be doing another water change later.

Associate
How often should I be testing the water quality of my tank? It's 40 litres, and at the moment nitrate and ammonia levels are OK (sample of my water tested at my local aquatic retailer), but I want to stay on top of it to ensure the recent addition of some fish keep the water safe for them.

Soldato
I’d probably test daily for at least a week and then reduce down from there if your ammonia/nitrite are 0. Once you have had 0 ammonia/nitrite for a few weeks of weeks I would then stop.

In freshwater I wouldn’t bother testing nitrate on a cycled tank with an appropriate stocking. If you are doing your water changes, you don’t need to worry about it. Nitrates have to get pretty high before they generally start causing issues and regular water changes mitigate this completely. I’m over 30ppm out of the tap here and the test kit gets incredibly hard to read at that point anyway.

Back
Top Bottom