Not happy with 27GL850, need a 27" or 32" alternative!

Associate
Hi
So i bought a 27gl850 last week, gaming was lovely, colours was alos lovely, but the ips glow in the bottom left corner on my panel plus the colour shift on the blacks was just too much.

Before buying the 27gl850 i wanted a 32" 1440p 144hz monitor, but thought i would go with the 27" LG as it looked awesome. sadly not happy with it so im thinking maybe a 32" but would settle with another 27"

Anyone have any suggestions? I am on a 980ti and will be buying another GPU some day soon-ish, so having a freesync 2 panel that was known to play nice with nvidia would be ideal so i don't kill my GPUbuying options. The list on the nvidia compatible is pretty small but i know there are monitors out there that should work without being verified.

Any suggestions

Thanks

Soldato
Hi, currently in the same situation I also have an 980ti that I will upgrade at some point

I was looking at the SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7 comes in 27 and 32 it's 1440p with 240hz freesync and gsync compatible

I know it costs more and also it's curved waiting on more reviews before deciding

Thanks

Associate
Hi
So i bought a 27gl850 last week, gaming was lovely, colours was alos lovely, but the ips glow in the bottom left corner on my panel plus the colour shift on the blacks was just too much.

Have had mine for a few days and experiencing the same. Was expecting a bit of glow when the room is dark but I seem to be able to spot it in all light conditions/brightness settings.

Caporegime
Hi

Before buying the 27gl850 i wanted a 32" 1440p 144hz monitor, but thought i would go with the 27" LG as it looked awesome. sadly not happy with it so im thinking maybe a 32" but would settle with another 27"

Anyone have any suggestions? I am on a 980ti and will be buying another GPU some day soon-ish, so having a freesync 2 panel that was known to play nice with nvidia would be ideal so i don't kill my GPUbuying options. The list on the nvidia compatible is pretty small but i know there are monitors out there that should work without being verified.

Any suggestions

Thanks
Try and replace it before you give up on it. The next one could have a more uniform panel so it's worth a try. :)

32" is too big for 1440p, the ppi will be ugly and at standard desk distances you will have to move your head too much for it to be comfortable.

Associate
OP
Sent the LG back, bought a 32" gigabyte G32QC 32" which was also horrible. ended up with a 27" 1440p TN 27xq for £175. does not have the colours of the LG, but it games well, and will do me until monitor tech is actually worth spending big money on. :)

Caporegime
Sent the LG back, bought a 32" gigabyte G32QC 32" which was also horrible. ended up with a 27" 1440p TN 27xq for £175. does not have the colours of the LG, but it games well, and will do me until monitor tech is actually worth spending big money on. :)
Agree with you there bud... the monitor situation is largely poo and will be until Micro LED (not to be confused with Mini LED) becomes mainstream and cost-effective, theoretically providing all of the benefits of OLED with none of the downsides (per-LED lighting, no deterioration or burn-in). Having said that, we will get some smaller OLED's next year though when JOLED begin mass production of smaller OLED panels of around 32" or smaller.

Associate
Try and replace it before you give up on it. The next one could have a more uniform panel so it's worth a try. :)

32" is too big for 1440p, the ppi will be ugly and at standard desk distances you will have to move your head too much for it to be comfortable.

What a load of rubbish.

32 inch @1440p is perfect, it’s the same ppi as 24 inch 1080p, which is sharp and nice to look at for gaming and perfect for web reading, nice easy on the eyes, also, it’s 1000R CURVED, so you are not turning your head constantly to see the sides. Not all of us are still 16 with 20/20 vision...

Besides that, I doubt you own a 32 g7, and from every single review or video I have seen with people using it in both desktop and gaming, not a single person has criticised the ppi, if anything it’s only been positive.

Please stop spreading misinformation, or at best YOUR very specific, PERSONAL opinion, which goes against the vast majority.

Soldato
What a load of rubbish.

32 inch @1440p is perfect, it’s the same ppi as 24 inch 1080p, which is sharp and nice to look at for gaming and perfect for web reading, nice easy on the eyes, also, it’s 1000R CURVED, so you are not turning your head constantly to see the sides. Not all of us are still 16 with 20/20 vision...

Besides that, I doubt you own a 32 g7, and from every single review or video I have seen with people using it in both desktop and gaming, not a single person has criticised the ppi, if anything it’s only been positive.

Please stop spreading misinformation, or at best YOUR very specific, PERSONAL opinion, which goes against the vast majority.

100% agree. 32" is the sweet spot for 1440P. I used a 27" 1440P monitor for years, was a good monitor (xl2730z) but always regretted not waiting for a 32". The pixel density at 27" was too high, and meant there wasn't a huge amount of difference between my old 1200P (1920x1200 NEC 24WMGX3) monitor.

As always, if you get the chance I highly recommend seeing these in person, as it's impossible to determine from pictures or video.

Personally, these are my favourite monitor sizes vs resolution:

24" = 1080P/1200P
32" = 1440P
43"+ - 4K

Associate
@Dave2150 Yeah, I cringe whenever I see people beg for more 27inch 4k screens.......

When I buy 4K, possibly next year, it will be minimum 40inch TV for use as PC monitor. Oled/Qned/Qled/Mini LED who knows...

Caporegime
What a load of rubbish.

Misinformation? 1080p @ 24" is not "super sharp" and it is not "perfect" for gaming and web browsing". Saying it is "perfect" is, amusingly, as much of a subjective opinion as mine because it isn't based on sound logic. Your 1080p monitor may look good gaming at 24", your 32" may look good gaming at 1440p, but for productivity work they will be less than ideal and on a 1080p screen many web sites will be sub-par to browse on. They are the upper limits for those resolutions and I would ONLY use them comfortably for gaming purposes with heavy amounts of AA applied. In the end YOU CAN SEE THE PIXELS AT THOSE SCREEN SIZES AND RESOLUTIONS and that doesn't not make for ideal viewing of content.

Displayninja recommends: https://www.displayninja.com/best-monitor-size-for-gaming/#:~:text=Overall, 1920×1080 shouldn,32-inch depending on preference.

The ideal size for a monitor mainly depends on its resolution and how far you’re sitting from the screen. Overall, 1920×1080 shouldn’t be used on anything larger than 24-inch. 1440p is ideal for 27-inch, and 4K is great for 27-inch to 32-inch, depending on preference.

The WQHD (2560×1440) resolution is ideal for a 27-inch monitor. You get 108 PPI, which is the sweet spot between picture detail and screen real estate without any scaling necessary.

There are plenty of 32-inch 1440p monitors available as well. In this case, you get the same picture clarity you get with a 24-inch 1080p monitor, but many find 32-inch monitor too big for gaming as you have to move your head around a lot.

Conclusion:
  • 23-inch to 25-inch: 1080p
  • 27-inch: 1440p or 4K
  • 28-inch to 30-inch: 4K

Also, not owning a 32" 1440p doesn't mean I don't know it's not too big, having owned many monitors for the last many years and trying many sizes. 32" is too big for regular desk viewing distances due to the head movement required... you need to sit further away from it for it to be practical which then will make it comfortable for viewing. However, for most people that is not practical in the space they have around their computer desk.

Some decent guides here:

Source 1: https://stari.co/tv-monitor-viewing-distance-calculator
Source 2: https://www.esportstales.com/tech-tips/ideal-distance-to-sit-away-from-your-monitor

28" is really great for 4k... you have a lot of real estate while having very sharp visuals due to the ppi. 32" would look good too but on a desk this would be too big for comfort unless your desk was big enough to put it around a metre away from your face.

100% agree. 32" is the sweet spot for 1440P. I used a 27" 1440P monitor for years, was a good monitor (xl2730z) but always regretted not waiting for a 32". The pixel density at 27" was too high, and meant there wasn't a huge amount of difference between my old 1200P (1920x1200 NEC 24WMGX3) monitor.

As always, if you get the chance I highly recommend seeing these in person, as it's impossible to determine from pictures or video.

Personally, these are my favourite monitor sizes vs resolution:

24" = 1080P/1200P
32" = 1440P
43"+ - 4K

That's big...
In Finnish PC forum there was recently one person wanting 21-22" 4K...:rolleyes:

It makes me cringe too when I see people say they want a TV on a desk as a monitor, because using a 43" screen that isn't a few feet away may ultimately lead to you getting RSI in your neck.

Last edited:
Associate
Misinformation? 1080p @ 24" is not "super sharp" and it is not "perfect" for gaming and web browsing". Saying it is "perfect" is, amusingly, as much of a subjective opinion as mine because it isn't based on sound logic. Your 1080p monitor may look good gaming at 24", your 32" may look good gaming at 1440p, but for productivity work they will be less than ideal and on a 1080p screen many web sites will be sub-par to browse on. They are the upper limits for those resolutions and I would ONLY use them comfortably for gaming purposes with heavy amounts of AA applied. In the end YOU CAN SEE THE PIXELS AT THOSE SCREEN SIZES AND RESOLUTIONS and that doesn't not make for ideal viewing of content.

Displayninja recommends: https://www.displayninja.com/best-monitor-size-for-gaming/#:~:text=Overall, 1920×1080 shouldn,32-inch depending on preference.

Also, not owning a 32" 1440p doesn't mean I don't know it's not too big, having owned many monitors for the last many years and trying many sizes. 32" is too big for regular desk viewing distances due to the head movement required... you need to sit further away from it for it to be practical which then will make it comfortable for viewing. However, for most people that is not practical in the space they have around their computer desk.

Some decent guides here:

Source 1: https://stari.co/tv-monitor-viewing-distance-calculator
Source 2: https://www.esportstales.com/tech-tips/ideal-distance-to-sit-away-from-your-monitor

28" is really great for 4k... you have a lot of real estate while having very sharp visuals due to the ppi. 32" would look good too but on a desk this would be too big for comfort unless your desk was big enough to put it around a metre away from your face.

It makes me cringe too when I see people say they want a TV on a desk as a monitor, because using a 43" screen that isn't a few feet away may ultimately lead to you getting RSI in your neck.

1) It is by any chance a possibility, that perhaps when people considering buying a larger screen, perhaps like an CX 48 OLED, that it is not their main screen?, and part of a multi display set up, so talking more nonsense about how it makes your cringe that people talk about larger screens, not knowing their room, desk or gaming set up at all, well, its a little short sighted to say the least.

2) You ignored the extreme curvature of the screen, just assuming 32 inches is too large at desk sitting distances, whatever that is lol, 20cm-100cm, you tell me, its down to the user, so its an "unknown" factor which you cannot assume to make judgments on.

3) Annnnnd lastly, the most overlooked but crucial aspect of this, which you totally missed the point of (no surprise there), the OP is discussing a GAMING MONITOR, high refresh @ 1440p, NO ONE here is talking about 4k screens, nor would i consider a 4k resolution with lower refresh as a talking point alternative for a semi competitive 1440p 144hz GAMING screen, you just brought it all up on your own....

Associate
IMO 1440p on a 27" screen is the sweet spot. You then have more headroom to drive a high refresh rate (compared to 4K), and very good PPI and when sitting at ideal distance don't have to move your head at all (this is my own personal experience).

The Samsung G7 will be great when they iron out all the little niggles.

One word of warning, if you use multiple monitors, one being curved, one being flat you may find it gives you headaches or motion sickness. This occurred when I used the 27" G7 and another flat monitor.

If you aren't in a rush there are quite a few new monitors penned for the later part of this year, including the first 240Hz IPS 1440p screens among others:

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/a...s-with-1440p-and-240hz-refresh-rate-combined/

Also have a new 32" from ASUS which seems to tick all the gaming boxes:

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/a...-ips-panel-1440p-175hz-refresh-and-elmb-sync/

Soldato

Sitting at a desk for extended periods may lead to obesity and heart failure.

Soldato
That's big...
In Finnish PC forum there was recently one person wanting 21-22" 4K...:rolleyes:

That doesn't surprise me. The same people will be setting 300% windows scaling, making the whole experience pointless.

That said, resolution/monitor size is a highly individual thing. Some prefer extremely high PPI and windows scaling. Some have small rooms that can't fit a big desk. Some can't wall mount a TV due to space issues, or can't get permission from landlord to drill etc.

Always best to try each option in person before making a big decision, since the monitor you choose has a massive impact on your overall experience.

Caporegime
I had a 27" 1440p for a number of years, and agree that the sharpness was ace.

I had reservations getting a 32" 1440p as a result, however I am full acclimatized to it now.

Just measuring-taped from my eyes to the screen and it is 72cm/28 inches, and I don't need to move my head at all to see all the screen. Non-curved too.

Back
Top Bottom