Athlon II x4 630 won't boot past hardware monitor screen?

Soldato
Mates asked me to look at it as it won't boot to windows 7. It's a good few years old with no issues other me having to replace motherboard battery few years back.
HDD is M4 SSD drive. Has floppy and DVD drive.
Motherboard is Biostar a77oe3. I've replaced the battery just in case but I think the motherboard has died? I've tried checking BIOS and altering boot devices but no change.

Does a dead motherboard sound about right?

Soldato
I would've thought so, especially if its not seeing any drives. you could install a small linux distro onto a thumb drive & try & boot from that, if that doesn't work then give it up as a lost cause. The board is at least 12 years old & worth pennies even if it did work. The money spent on a used replacement would be better off on something newer.

Soldato
OP
Cheers, It's seeing the drives, and showing no errors but hangs before booting windows. Even a fresh installation wouldn't fix it because it's not getting as far as loading windows. BIOS reset hasn't changed anything.

Figured a new AM3 mobo might be needed. I'll have a look for a cheap one.

Soldato
OP
Forgot I'd installed an SSD as well as a stock SATA hard drive. And had versions of windows 7and 10 kicking around when I'd fixed others computers. Doh lol.
Booted off USB to update SSD drive image. Then booted with win 7 USB, formatted both drives, installed win 7 to SSD, booted fine and working. Obviously unregistered at moment but he wants to upgrade to win 10 so I'll get internet working at his and download win 10 from Microsoft. Sorted.

I'm not 100% it was the SSD as there was about 30gb of files downloaded that looked like virus types in win32.sys (think it was that one).

Anyways, all sorted so thanks for advice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom