Drive faster to relieve "frustration".

Soldato
Dunno if it is just me but in the last couple of weeks I've noticed a big increase in people who are doing 40 in a 60 :( (where it is safe to do the limit) that is frustrating. And a fair increase in people behind me who catch up at 40 in a 30 in a built up area then sit glued to my tail.

I just don't understand the mentality.

There will always be the people who drive at 40 whatever the speed limit is. They are a complete menace where ever they are driving.

These are the worst kind of drivers, living in a rural area most of the roads are NSL, you get these (usual older) **** drivers that are doing 40-45mph in the middle of nowhere where you really should be trying to achieve the limit, you are told this in any driving course/instruction.

So it's ok, if you are the first behind them as you have a better chance of overtaking, but if they then have someone behind them who doesn't like to overtake (and that's fair enough I don't critize anyone for that) it's then more difficult because you have 2 to overtake, and then so on and so on, until you get what I call a "road train", I'd like to assume the "40mph warrior" as I call them are oblivious to the delays they cause or they are complete selfish tossers.

It only causes accidents behind them as people get frustrated then do stupid things.

Are they just trying to drive slow to be safe?

No.... because as soon as they hit a 30, you know, where there are pedestrians, kids etc, they just continue to do 45.

I can't stand them.

Caporegime
My preference would have been that, instead of having a 20 mile stretch of 50mph roadworks with only 1 or 2 tiny sections actually being worked on because of a lack of workers and/or equipment, they'd only done 1 mile sections and spent the money previously needed to buy 20 miles of signs, barriers and cameras etc on more workers/equipment so they could work 24hrs and therefore get each 1 mile section done faster meaning the whole 20 mile stretch wouldn't take 2+ years to complete.

Then again I'm not a highly paid "road maintenance planner" who knows better and has a big Government budget they need to blow through because it's not their money!

Stop talking sense Ian. :p

Yes it is incredibly frustrating pootling along in the middle of a sunny weekday in a contraflow or narrow lane system with a 50MPH limit, and not seeing a single worker.

Even when they -are- there they only seem to half arsedly attempt to work, unless I somehow drive past workers exclusively when they are on their break.

There have been roadworks going on for YEARS on some motorways, but if this were China, or Japan, the roadworks would have been started and finished in a matter of days, I'm sure of it!

NVP

NVP

Soldato
So bumping up from 50 to 60 mean driving at 70 instead of 60, got ya.

Good move, it was pointlessly low. They chose 50 as it was the limit they were reducing all the NSL 60s down to at the time.

Associate
What a waste of time doing surveys and meetings about it. Doesn't matter what the limit is, there's always 20 people wanting to go 20 over the limit. Doesn't make any difference. :p

Associate
Think it was just the speed limit on dual carriageways that was raised to 60.....all trucks still limited to 56 tho...I think
It was 2015 it got updated. I thought it was only a few years ago:eek:

7815751_orig.png

Soldato
I remember hearing something about a town (somewhere in Europe I think) that removed all speed limits for a month. They found that accidents actually went down compared to the same month from previous years.

The study highlighted that the majority of people tend to drive at whatever speed they feel comfortable at, so yeah you'll always get those people that drive at 70 in a 30, but the study found that, on roads that were previously a 30, people, on average drove at 35-40.

Annoyingly, I can't find a source but it was interesting

Soldato
Yep, holding the perfect speed, looking out for cameras, watching out for SUV Karens, dodging potholes at the same time. Its become to much of a distraction.

Last edited:
Soldato
Emissions
I reckon that's the biggest one, I imagine there might also be problems in busy areas with slip roads and merge lanes - traffic will need a longer distance to speed up, and react to cars trying to join - slip roads might need to be lengthened significantly in places to avoid problems if all traffic was going faster I imagine.

Associate
If is because of emissions then why do 35 countries have higher limits, especially as there are a few with stricter emission regulations.
sorry about the formatting.

COUNTRY KPH MPH
Poland 140 87
Germany 130 80 no retriction on parts
France 130 80 (60mph in the wet)
Denmark 130 80
Lithuania 130 80
Argentina 130 80
United States 130 80
Austria 130 80
Bulgaria 130 80
Ukraine 130 80
Czech Republic 130 80
Croatia 130 80
Hungary 130 80
Italy 130 80
Luxembourg 130 80
Romania 130 80
Slovakia 130 80
Slovenia 130 80
China 120 74
Pakistan 120 74
Brazil 120 74
Saudi Arabia 120 74
Algeria 120 74
Belgium 120 74
Portugal 120 74
Chile 120 74
Finland 120 74
Greece 120 74
Ireland 120 74
Serbia 120 74
Switzerland 120 74
South Africa 120 74
Spain 120 74
Thailand 120 74
Turkey 120 74
United Kingdom 113 70
Australia 110 68
Canada 110 68
Hong Kong 110 68
Israel 110 68
Kenya 110 68
Malaysia 110 68
Cuba 100 62
Japan 100 62
Norway 100 62
India 100 62
Mexico 100 62
Netherlands 100 62
Russia 110 62
Egypt 90 56
El Salvador 90 56
Iceland 90 56
New Zealand 100 56
Singapore 90 56
Sweden 90 56
Georgia 80 50
Jamaica 80 50

Soldato
If is because of emissions then why do 35 countries have higher limits, especially as there are a few with stricter emission regulations.
sorry about the formatting.
Be that as it may you can't deny that faster speeds would increase the drag on the car and therefore energy used, increasing emissions from the exhaust (given that that drag is much more important at high speeds than the mechanical losses and inefficient low power operation etc at low speed).
E. G. From 2007 but best graph I could find with a quick google:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6990602.stm

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I doubt emissions are a factor in any discussion related to speed limit increases (in general, not these road works ones), I think the only factor considered is if a general election is due.

Motorway limits most likely will not increase until autonomous cars have been integrated successfully into society. I think the huge increase in traffic volume and general taboo of associated risk with greater speeds is sufficiently keeping limit increase at bay.

It won't stop them suggesting it though, when the time comes around.

I think our roads should be derestricted and driving test difficulty increased ten-fold, however doesn't make any difference to myself really...

RI3IhjK.gif

Associate
Be that as it may you can't deny that faster speeds would increase the drag on the car and therefore energy used, increasing emissions from the exhaust (given that that drag is much more important at high speeds than the mechanical losses and inefficient low power operation etc at low speed).
E. G. From 2007 but best graph I could find with a quick google:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6990602.stm
I hope the data isn't from the VW range:D

Interesting info from tfl "However, over 75% of road transport particulate emissions come from tyre- and brake-wear, not exhausts. This means driving style is an increasingly important determinant of overall air quality."
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/speed-emissions-and-health.pdf
That would explain the bits you can chew when in london.

Soldato
I hope the data isn't from the VW range:D

Interesting info from tfl "However, over 75% of road transport particulate emissions come from tyre- and brake-wear, not exhausts. This means driving style is an increasingly important determinant of overall air quality."
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/speed-emissions-and-health.pdf
That would explain the bits you can chew when in london.
What kind of motorway use is using brakes when travelling fast:p.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom