Just Eat's "shady?" T&Cs

Associate
I have not read the Just Eat contract so I might be completely wrong. But maybe they are just like ebay or Amazon Marketplace in that your contract is with the seller of the goods and no with ebay or Amazon.

They are an agent, facilitating an agreement between the customer and the business. Pretty common arrangement outside of the food delivery world.

Man of Honour
I had this argument recently with John Lewis when I bought a washing machine from them and had a problem with it. Their customer services point blank told me that my contract (not just the warranty) was with the manufacturer. I wrote to the chairwoman of JL to point out their incorrect legal position.

that can depend on the way they fulfil their white-goods, may be drop shipped direct from the manufacturer so the contract may be directly with them... although that should be made clear in the order.

Convenience of doing it online, discount codes often make Just Eat, Deliveroo, Uber Eats significantly cheaper than going direct for example.
got to spend that VC money somehow :)

If you buy something online and it turns up looking like the courier played football with it, you go back to the retailer, not the courier directly, even though the retailer haven't actually delivered it.

Theres a contract for delivery between the retailer and the delivery company in this case. Your paying the retailer for safe delivery & the item so your claim lies with them.

Man of Honour
TBH I try to avoid using Just Eat as much as possible now, as I found out that they cream off most of any profit that takeaways make for their 'service'. While the chains such as KFC etc might be OK with this, it can really hurt the smaller local takeaways, especially in smaller towns and villages. Quite a few of my local takeaways have their own web-ordering setup, and they often incentivise you to use theirs rather tha Just Eat's fronting service by offering a 10% discount, which shows you how little Just Eat pass on to the retaurant.

KFC actually charge a lot more for their food on Just Eat, around £2 more than they charge instore for a box meal,
which is strange because JE does not allow normal small takeaways to charge less on their own instore/delivery menu

Soldato
Quite a few times after ordering from Just Eat I’ve had a text from the takeaway place saying to order direct from their own website, sometimes with a discount code

Man of Honour
Quite a few times after ordering from Just Eat I’ve had a text from the takeaway place saying to order direct from their own website, sometimes with a discount code

You'l probably find they also have a cheaper delivery fee,
£3 seems to be the going rate round my way for delivery via just Eat, but if you order direct it's usually anywhere from free to £1.50, and no 50p 'service charge'

Soldato
You'l probably find they also have a cheaper delivery fee,
£3 seems to be the going rate round my way for delivery via just Eat, but if you order direct it's usually anywhere from free to £1.50, and no 50p 'service charge'

I've had the same here - I then spotted then all the menu items on the JE site were more expensive than ordering direct so stopped using them a while back.

Soldato
OP
To those that say just don't use them again, well exactly what I am doing. Just thought I'd share it.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.justeat.co.uk

Pretty much sums it up, granted some complaints on there are of the actual food, which just eat isnt responsilbe for, but seems a lot of people are having the issue with just eat saying to to the resturant, the resturant saying they have done nothing wrong with the customer stuck in the middle.

Man of Honour
While we're on the subject of shady food delivery services, don't believe any of the reviews on foodhub you'll notice you never see a really bad review on there because they're all cherrypicked.

Caporegime
I had this issue with uber eats... worse still the place I'd ordered from had phoned me to tell me the item would be missing, do I want an alternative? I said no thinks, just take it off the bill please - they told me I can do that in the app... cool I thought, no worries.

So turns out I can't amend the order, no way of phoning them, they don't have a phone number it seems... the number they'd called me from goes back to uber, albeit a line they don't answer.

So order arrives with item missing as expected - I go onto the uber app and report missing item, select it from a list... job done - uber have been fine in the past so am sure they'll refund/update me in a day or two..

Few days go by and I'm left thinking - "oh wait that missing item, have they given me a refund yet?" - check the app... nothing... so I want to contact CS - of course uber don't have a phone number either... FFS! So I go to the order and press missing item again - this time instead of a list of missing items I'm able to enter a message - I enter a message explaining that I'm chasing up the missing item refund, detail that the shop knows about it, that they let me know etc.. and that I've not heard anything from uber.

I get a message back from CS - generic message - can't help you because missing item reported more than 48 hours after order..

FFS!

I reply explaining that the message they're replying to isn't my initial report by a follow up...

I get a generic message back telling me the same...

I can apparently e-mail them so I try that.. just get more generic messages from whichever copy and paste CS person is replying, none of them bother to look at the issue it seems - they get the ticket/issue presumably browse up and follow some flow chart and think "ah the initial message was >48 hours therefore paste this" etc.. move onto next ticket... very productive and unhelpful CS drones.

So now I've stopped using uber eats and have switched to deliveroo - amusingly I'm now getting e-mailed with offers from uber eats (perhaps I should just use the offers as that will maybe be a loss leader for them).

I'm still a bit miffed - just the principle of it, it's such a small amount but the basic principle is I paid for something the seller knows they didn't supply me... where is my money... just getting fobbed off isn't right. I'm not sure whether I'm going to try it or not but I am tempted, on principle, to get a UK head office address and write them a letter requiring a refund + costs for posting and taking the time to send the letter.

On a side note I've had a few deliveroo deliveries so far (good thing with them is you can order from say M&S or Coop etc.. and have it arrive in 20-30 mins...) one of the deliveries messed up and they refunded me instantly for the missing items upon flaggin it - another one the vendor flagged it already and so I got a note from them saying it will be deducted from invoice as it was withing X hours of the order, card not charged yet....

Only slightly shady thing with them is the refund is a credit to your account that expires in 3 months so if you're not going to be using them regularly you'd need to then e-mail for a refund.

Don
had an issue with them over a non delivery and they were trying to get out of it

just told them to refund or I claim on credit card, immediate refund and a bit extra

Soldato
Just placed my normal order with local kebab place that I thought only delivered through JE. They now have their own system set up and so £9 compared to £13 that JE are asking. I hate to think how much money I've chucked at JE through laziness.

Soldato
I had this issue with uber eats...

Interestingly i've had the opposite with Uber Eats - only used them a few times because I got some offer codes.

Ordered KFC, because lockdown desperation and withdrawal, which was missing the dips from a 'dipping feast'.

Went on the app and said 'item missing' and Uber Eats refunded the entire order within 8 hours. (Into my bank account within 2 days)

I was expecting a 'have a 10% voucher' or something like that

Man of Honour
While we're on the subject of shady food delivery services, don't believe any of the reviews on foodhub you'll notice you never see a really bad review on there because they're all cherrypicked.

Apparently the takeaways are responsible for their own reviews, so they can choose which ones get shown on Foodhub,
for sure that's a bad thing, but only if you're ordering from some where new,
and if so then i'd also check their reviews on Just Eat and Google to get a feel for the place

Caporegime
Interestingly i've had the opposite with Uber Eats - only used them a few times because I got some offer codes.

Ordered KFC, because lockdown desperation and withdrawal, which was missing the dips from a 'dipping feast'.

Went on the app and said 'item missing' and Uber Eats refunded the entire order within 8 hours. (Into my bank account within 2 days)

I was expecting a 'have a 10% voucher' or something like that

I’ve had refunds in the past, have used them a bunch of times - generally it’s for the item missing though on one occasion the entire meal (it was a breakfast on this occasion - supposed to contain Italian sausage, poached eggs, salmon, avocado etc..) had missed half the stuff, was just a total mess and I got a full refund as it went in the bin upon arrival!

Difference on this occasion is the human element - gettting stuck with CS people and their cut and paste replies.

Soldato
Apparently the takeaways are responsible for their own reviews, so they can choose which ones get shown on Foodhub,
for sure that's a bad thing, but only if you're ordering from some where new,
and if so then i'd also check their reviews on Just Eat and Google to get a feel for the place

It was a few years ago now, but i was once kept waiting for 2 hours (that's 2 hours after it was due to be delivered....) for an order. In the end, i told the restaurant to shove it and demanded my money back, which i eventually got. I left the restaurant a scathing review and the restaurant had the review removed. I spoke to Just Eat about it and they said - word for word - "the whole point of the review system is that its about the food, not the service". So because i never received the food, and i told the restaurant to shove it up their backsides, Just Eat didn't allow the review to stay up. Unbelievable really. The thing is, the Just Eat monkey i spoke to told me that whilst you had to score the reviews on 1) the quality. 2) the service and 3) the delivery time. But yet it "wasn't about the service" :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom